3-five-minute rounds isn't enough-

I agree, never understood why a sport so dynamic doesn't change that.

On the contrary I think quite often that 3 5 minute rounds can be too much.

I also don't agree with this, I don't think fighters should be allowed coaching at all. Nobody gets to yell instruction, nobody gets to coach you, nothing. There are no rounds, and there is no coaching.

Booooooooorrrriiiiiing!!!!!!!

3 ten-minute rounds would be ideal, to be honest.

MMA would die in less than 2 years.

That is a terrible, terrible idea.

I can't think of one person I want to watch for 30 minutes in 10 minute rounds. Thats atrocious.

Pretty much.

Might as well remove coaches in all other sports too. Fuck it, just eliminate coaches and training all together with no rounds or time limits.

Just have a bunch of clueless athletes in every sport gas out and suck for the whole event.

I'd like to see 2 five min rounds and make the third 10 mins.

Physically it takes more energy to lift your own bodyweight up onto your shoulder than throw a punch. Physically it takes more energy to throw a kick than throw a punch.

The longer you make a MMA fight or any fight the slower paced the fight. Shorter fights lead to a faster pace because athletes don't have to think about conserving for later rounds.

Use your sprinting example. The longer you make a race the slower the pace of the run. MMA is more of a sprint sport as is K-1. If you take a MMA fight from 5 to 7 rounds you only succeed in slowing down the pace of the fight.

Conserving energy is a part of strategy. I am not arguing that throwing a kick takes more energy, but I guarantee people aren't throwing a hundred kicks a round. That is why your argument is illogical. Hell, why not make the fight just one minute? Then the guys will just go out all berserk? Thinking about conservation is a part of strategy. Fighting is NOT A SPRINT SPORT, the rules are what dictate how the fight plays out. Having a longer round allows grapplers the opportunity to display their skills and for conditioned fighters to execute their strategy.

I never said they should structure the rounds/time based off of one division. I said they should consider how it would effect each division and determine whether it would be better for the UFC or not. The only reason i said they should consider adjusting shit for the heavies is b/c most casual fans want to see heavyweights fight. And UFC already has alot of heavies that gas early, so do they really want to add more rounds and time to make this problem worse. Dana knows this that is probably why Cain vs JDS on Fox 1 was chosen.
and then you saying "the heavies can just condition themselves better blah blah blah, they why don't they? how come every heavyweight in the division right now isn't just like Cain ?

Yeah well most casual fans are incompetent and should have no say in how the rounds are structured. Heavyweights will fight, trust me. I don't care that heavyweights gas, their problem not mine. I guess the number one fighter will still be Cain in my scenario because he has the best gas? Exactly, conditioning is the number one trait of a fighter and of a human being. Let us weed out the weaklings!

and secondly why are you so serious/mad ?? calm down man your acting like one of those people that thinks there always right and smarter than everyone else .

Bro my heart rate is a steady 60 beats per minute.

I don't like people using the "sprinting" analogy. It's not always a sprint, it is sometimes, but not always, and it shouldn't be always. If the guy who sprints can't finish the fight that way, that should come into play. That is the reality of fighting. 3-5's is a damn 5 round Boxing match, and having grappled with pro's for a few years, I know how tiring it can be, but it's the same for both guys. I would say longer duration fights would convince a lot of guys to try harder to finish earlier, actually. The "sprinters" would really, really have to go for it to have a chance.

My reason for using the analogy actually. This was exactly my point, fighting is a mix of sprinting and endurance.

Show of hands...who here's been in an elite-level MMA bout...EVER?

Elite level? Give me a break, we all know sherdoggers drove the top fighters off a long time ago.

I'm trying to put things into perspective...

I can almost guarantee that the current time/round format was agreed to by promoters and fighters alike at some point.

We've seen what 3 and 5 round wars can do to fighters. Adding more rounds can only exhaust the vast majority of fighters.

If it ain't broke, why try and fix it?

Really so how did the 12 to 6 elbow rule come into effect? Promoters and fighters agreed on it? Seriously, go read a book! Worst attitude of all time, if it ain't broke? Says who, you?

The 10 minute first round fights for HW would be similar to that time where the UFC held a few HW fights on that card in Colorado a year or so ago where every HW fighter was gassed out hard halfway through the first round.

That was hilarious but fuck was that a disaster.

Keyword, COLORADO. Elevation bro, it is hard to fight. Also are you a 6'6" 250 lb. man? No? Then sshhhH!

No it isn't boring, it takes away the crutches that so many fighters rely on.

MMA would die in less than 2 years.

That is a terrible, terrible idea.

I can't think of one person I want to watch for 30 minutes in 10 minute rounds. Thats atrocious.

I can, Ben Askren.

Pretty much.

Might as well remove coaches in all other sports too. Fuck it, just eliminate coaches and training all together with no rounds or time limits.

Just have a bunch of clueless athletes in every sport gas out and suck for the whole event.

This isn't all other sports bro, if you haven't noticed fighting is a one on one sport. Being the best fighter in the world where your coaches are calling out submissions to you from your corner? Give me a break! I want to know who is the best without help from their coaches. "Watch your leg Bob! Watch your arm! Bridge now! Roll now! Watch the arm! Hand off the mat!" Seriously, so obnoxious! Get rid of coaching in between rounds, get rid of coaching from the side. One round, 15 or 25 minutes, let us see who the best fighter in the world is...

Grappling is exhausting. You can't compare it to boxing.

I think fights are entirely too long. They would be better off being like 1 10 minute round.
You'd let them really go at it then.

I can, Ben Askren.

This isn't all other sports bro, if you haven't noticed fighting is a one on one sport. Being the best fighter in the world where your coaches are calling out submissions to you from your corner? Give me a break! I want to know who is the best without help from their coaches. "Watch your leg Bob! Watch your arm! Bridge now! Roll now! Watch the arm! Hand off the mat!" Seriously, so obnoxious! Get rid of coaching in between rounds, get rid of coaching from the side. One round, 15 or 25 minutes, let us see who the best fighter in the world is...

I love me some Ben Askren as well as dozens of other fighters, but no, I don't want to see them fight for 30 minutes in 10 minute intervals. I just don't.

Coaching is one of the biggest factors that many athletes make it as far as they do. Robbing an athlete of a coach is like taking the steering wheel out of Nascar vehicles.

In every other sport, coaches play the same role as they do in MMA. So you want to see Soccer and Football with out plays? The rest of them as well.

I don't know what kind of athlete you claim to be with all the martial arts knowledge you claim to have. You should know coaching is a huge part of athletics and life in general.

I'm not calling you out or nitpicking shit with you but you don't see how big of a role coaching plays in other sports? How is yelling for an opening to a sub any different from setting up for the next play in American football?

Grappling is exhausting. You can't compare it to boxing.

I think fights are entirely too long. They would be better off being like 1 10 minute round.
You'd let them really go at it then.

Yes, I can compare them easily. Put any wrestler in a boxing ring he will be exhausted in one round. This is how the human body works, please go do some reading. Make that one 15 minute round, no stand-ups, no coaching, 12 to 6 elbow allowed, fence grabbing allowed.

I love me some Ben Askren as well as dozens of other fighters, but no, I don't want to see them fight for 30 minutes in 10 minute intervals. I just don't.

Coaching is one of the biggest factors that many athletes make it as far as they do. Robbing an athlete of a coach is like taking the steering wheel out of Nascar vehicles.

In every other sport, coaches play the same role as they do in MMA. So you want to see Soccer and Football with out plays? The rest of them as well.

I don't know what kind of athlete you claim to be with all the martial arts knowledge you claim to have. You should know coaching is a huge part of athletics and life in general.

I'm not calling you out or nitpicking shit with you but you don't see how big of a role coaching plays in other sports? How is yelling for an opening to a sub any different from setting up for the next play in American football?

Do you want to know why Floyd Mayweather is so good? Have you ever heard Floyd Mayweather's corner say stupid shit like, "Throw more jabs Floyd, use your footwork Floyd, box him Floyd!" No, they don't, because Floyd already knows all of those things and has the ability to adapt in the fight. I am not saying a fighter can't be coached before the fight, not at all. I am saying that when you have a fight having someone yell instruction to you is so stupid. As a fighter if you are paying attention to other people's instruction instead of just reacting and thinking for yourself, you'll always be less than elite. You'll always be looking to your coach to help you out of that position, "Coach I couldn't hear your instructions, man I could of won!" No, you could of won if you stopped relying on other people to give you answers in a fight. That is actually why I think Matt Hamil has an advantage over most fighters. He doesn't have the luxury of relying on instruction so he relies on himself for answers in a fight. Soccer isn't fighting, it is a team sport. Football isn't fighting, it is a team sport. I never said athletes couldn't receive coaching, just not during your fight. I want to see who the best fighter in the world is, not who can correct position based off what his coach is yelling at him. I do agree though, offensive coordinators are stupid. Football should rely solely on the quarterback to call every single play in the game and a defensive captain that calls the defense. Oh wait, that would actually make sense instead of having a massive coaching staff and a video room feeding you information. STUPID! Low level brain dead competition. Want to see who is the best? A giant bowl, one round, no coaches, let's fight.

Pretty much.

Exactly. And having corner is as old as the sport of fighting.

Exactly. And having corner is as old as the sport of fighting.

No, no it isn't...do you know what sports were at the first Olympics? Stop following tradition blindly and use your brain for once in your life.

Yes, I can compare them easily. Put any wrestler in a boxing ring he will be exhausted in one round. This is how the human body works, please go do some reading. Make that one 15 minute round, no stand-ups, no coaching, 12 to 6 elbow allowed, fence grabbing allowed.

Do you want to know why Floyd Mayweather is so good? Have you ever heard Floyd Mayweather's corner say stupid shit like, "Throw more jabs Floyd, use your footwork Floyd, box him Floyd!" No, they don't, because Floyd already knows all of those things and has the ability to adapt in the fight. I am not saying a fighter can't be coached before the fight, not at all. I am saying that when you have a fight having someone yell instruction to you is so stupid. As a fighter if you are paying attention to other people's instruction instead of just reacting and thinking for yourself, you'll always be less than elite. You'll always be looking to your coach to help you out of that position, "Coach I couldn't hear your instructions, man I could of won!" No, you could of won if you stopped relying on other people to give you answers in a fight. That is actually why I think Matt Hamil has an advantage over most fighters. He doesn't have the luxury of relying on instruction so he relies on himself for answers in a fight. Soccer isn't fighting, it is a team sport. Football isn't fighting, it is a team sport. I never said athletes couldn't receive coaching, just not during your fight. I want to see who the best fighter in the world is, not who can correct position based off what his coach is yelling at him. I do agree though, offensive coordinators are stupid. Football should rely solely on the quarterback to call every single play in the game and a defensive captain that calls the defense. Oh wait, that would actually make sense instead of having a massive coaching staff and a video room feeding you information. STUPID! Low level brain dead competition. Want to see who is the best? A giant bowl, one round, no coaches, let's fight.

Hammil is one of the worst examples you can possibly give as hes been looking like an amateur in his last few fights and thats putting it nicely. If anything thats a counter to your own argument you're making.

Also ask Bobby Green how stupid someone yelling instructions to you is as Rogan is the sole reason he got the position to win the match. Rogan gave him the instructions and yelled it over and over. What happened? Green listened and executed it step by step perfectly to win.

I just don't see it man. You shout yourself in the foot with Matt Hamill.

Matt Hammil is terrible compared to even the most mediocre figthers.

Please go watch Bobby Green x Volkmann or at least the end and let me know how you feel about it.

Also fighters sit in rooms with coaches and watch tape of themselves and thier opponents for hours on end.

Your argument is just getting weaker and weaker with all due respect.

No, no it isn't...do you know what sports were at the first Olympics? Stop following tradition blindly and use your brain for once in your life.

You're the olympic expert so tell me which combat sports were at the first olympics and when fighters started taking advice from outside the ring. Enlighten me with facts.

If fights are that damned long, this sport is going to be more boring than boxing. And you can't put on many fights at all if they take that long. Cards we have now would last all freaking day.

I would like the first round to be ten minutes like it was in PRIDE. Other than that I'm pretty fine with the way it is now.

Yea, that 10 minute round helped the fight to develop much better than any fight under the Unified Rules.

Guys with poor cardio got exposed.
Wrestlers/BJJ guys got some time to actually do something on the ground.
Guys who didn't properly set up their TD's got gassed out and punished.
The 2nd and 3rd rounds were tougher because of that long first round.
There were more finishes.

You're just another sheep repeating what other people say so they can pat you on the back. You have no formal education in Biology, Physiology, or Anatomy. The human body ADAPTS to the type of work you give it. So no, a wrestler being put in a boxing ring will die, a wrestler put in a swimming pool will die, a wrestler forced to run long distance will die. That isn't what a wrestler does on a day to day basis, he might cross-train but his main sport is wrestling, if you want to have wrestling cardio you wrestle. So no, it isn't more physically demanding, not at all. The body has simply been conditioned for two different activities.

Cardio is how efficiently your body utilizes oxygen. If you have good cardio it will translate everywhere. The problem lies in the technique you use. If you do everything the hard way and force things, you are expending more energy than is necessary but your body is not the problem. If you train extensively in striking and grappling, you shouldn't experience the "fish out of water" effect of a guy that can barely swim trying to do laps is going to have. Now, muscular strength and endurance is another issue but, again, if you are training the right muscle groups as all MMA fighters are, no problem there either.

Different activities definitely do have different demands in terms of oxygen. Take for example long-distance running which you are apparently claiming is not less demanding than grappling. Grappling is very different from an activity like running where you aren't fighting anything except gravity. In grappling, there is another person that is offering active resistance to your body's movements. You often need to engage your muscles to almost their maximum capacity for a single movement. That sends your body into an oxygen debt much more quickly than long-distance running, obviously, the latter of which can be maintained for literally hours. Sprinting is closer, but even then you can continue to run, albeit at a decreasing pace for a decent amount of time where as someone can only maintain anything close to maximum strain against resistance for seconds, really.

I don't mind the length of fights....although I would like 5 x 3 min rounds. And title fights to be the same system

Back