3-five-minute rounds isn't enough-

At all.

It's a five round Boxing match.. No Boxing match worth spit is less than 8 rounds, that is 24 minutes.. And really, any decent fight is minimum 10 rounds. MMA and it's grappling soul actually kind of states that MORE time is needed, not less, especially per round, of course. 10-5-5 would be about a 7 round Boxing match, respectively. The UFC could cut down a bit on its roster with longer bouts, and 3 round BS decisions based on a couple TDs could help to be reduced. Anybody else think 3-5's just isn't enough? It really isn't.

I agree. I'm OK with keeping the early prelims at 3 five minute rounds. But anything on the main card should be 5 rounds. Less fights. Make them all meaningful fights. 5 rounds. Or, at least, I want longer rounds. 5 minute rounds kills grappling strategies. Imagine you take 3 minutes to get the guy down, now you have 2 minutes to tap them. It sucks. Plus, it leaves a lot of fights feeling anti climactic. Like you know the fight could've turned around if there were one more round, you know?

I would like the first round to be ten minutes like it was in PRIDE. Other than that I'm pretty fine with the way it is now.

That would be a great improvement.

5 5min rounds just make fighters pull back to conserve energy...

grappling is about 100x more exhausting then straight boxing or standup

You can't call it MMA and then be mad when one fighter stalls another out. Wrestling and Jiu-jitsu are huge components. If you can't stay up right, circle off the cage (a huge personal pet peeve) reverse/sweep to get back up or at least make someone concerned about hanging out in your guard you deserve to be sat on. Oddly well rounded fighters never seem to have these problems.

Anderson was pasted for 22 minutes, being 30+ years old, potentially injured coming into the fight, by a larger opponent and still forced the tap. The guy is a lion and has a true champions mentality, but the point is you're never helpless unless you lack the skill to do something about it.

"True skill" isn't stifled by a lack in breaks. It means you're an awesome kick boxer who skips wrestling practice. Condit is the prime example of someone who seems to have no understanding of how to wrestle but has found ways to remain massively competitive.

This was always the evolution of the sport. As guys become more well rounded it has become a game of inches. There's a reason minus the second Tate fight that Rhonda has finished every opponent and all but one by armbar. WMMA seems like the wild west because the skill gaps are canyons and they don't have to honour punching power. It's a time portal back to early NHB.

If you want more action, start lobbying against weight cutting. Even the great Aldo looks like he's going to die on the scale and gives up rounds 4/5 almost every fight.

Agreed, I hate weight cutting. People don't even understand how much better a shot you can take when you're not dehydrated.

I'm strongly against weight cutting. The weigh-ins should be upon entry into the octagon.
Most promotions would then lose another point on their agenda and it would definitely harms some fighters' purses, as sponsors would not be exposed on the weigh-in night.
So these are the reasons why it won't happen.
Again, fighters like Hendricks DC and Plenty of others would have to fight against naturally heavier opposition with a larger body frame. A nightmare for some this might be.

Meh, fighting larger men is apart of the game. Plus there would still be fighters who could make the cut on the night of the fight. I would do it the same way, but if you come in over weight at the night of the fight you lose 80% of your purse. Easy!

The grappling potion of MMA is extremely physically taxing. The shorter fights actually means fighters don't need to pace themselves as much. They are able to exert more energy in actually trying to knock opponents out.

Just stop, all sport is physically taxing. What, you want to make this like K-1? Annoyingly short? This isn't a tournament pal.

It's not a matter of poor cardio. The best conditiined athletes in world can't grapple full force for 15 minutes let alone 25 especially in the heavier weightclasses.

Grappling is far more exhausting than boxing even kickboxing is more tiring than boxing.

Do you understand the difference between sprinting and long distance running? Yes, it is a matter of poor cardio and poor choices. You're telling me the best conditioned athletes in the world can't sprint for 15 minutes straight? YOU DON'T SAY SHERLOCK! Go train or something, you're clueless. Grappling IS NOT FAR MORE EXHAUSTING THAN BOXING, pfff, get out of here already pal. Put any wrestler in a boxing ring and watch him die in 3 minutes. The human body adapts to the work we give it, this is called understanding biology and the human anatomy. Even kickboxing is more tiring than boxing? You're clueless. Go take a few classes is physiology please...and in the meantime INTO THE CORNER WITH YOU!

Rounds have existed since the 1800s and we're largely a product of helping introduce rest. I have no idea where your statement comes from.

It's not my opinion. Every card features several incredibly gassed fighters. Some after the first round. Aldo, Hendricks and Wideman have all shown iffy cardio and are the champions of their respective divisions. Grappling is brutally tough. All three guys listed also cut immense weight for their classes. The correlation here is fairly apparent.

I don't get the boxing vs MMA inferiority complex. All combat sports are tough. Maidana/Money is definitive proof that you have 3-4 rounds (10ish minutes) of full retard mode, then even with little guys you simply fade.

The biggest problem with MMA is two faded guys locked in grappling exchanges looks much less visually appealing than two guys forcing arm punches. Also the speed of pro boxers I've always felt makes it look more like eminent fireworks.

So you're talking about rounds being invented in the 1800s, mind telling me when boxing was invented? Mind telling me how many rounds of rest the first fighters of all time got? Why are you so clueless? Rounds are used for betting, you think they introduced rounds so fighters could rest? PFFF! Yeah right! The CORRELATION is apparent huh? You are putting more emphasis on the wrestling and less emphasis on the weight cutting. Wrestling isn't exhausting when you're in shape, wrestling is exhausting when your body is recovering from being dehydrated and depleted. Now you're going on about inferiority complexes? Seriously, go get an education already, you are clueless! "The speed of pro boxers...makes it look more like eminent fireworks." Again, how long have you trained and what do you train in?

I think it's a lot tougher to fight for ten minutes straight then for five then taking a minute break then fighting another five. Pure speculation though.

It is tougher because as a fighter you might be anticipating the rest period, pushing at the end of the round for points, etc. However in the 10 minute round that rest period is a long way off and you should just buckle down and focus on the fight instead of focusing on the time. Which is why rounds in my opinion should go bye bye!

10 minute 1st round is great if u wanna see every HW fighter (save Cain) gas in the first round of every fight.

Also, comparing MMA to boxing in this regard is asinine. MMA, with wrestling, clinching, etc. is far more physically demanding than boxing. T

Maybe. I like the break, it gives the fighters time in the corner to get tips and its good pace. Keeps everyone active and pushing for the W.

I also don't agree with this, I don't think fighters should be allowed coaching at all. Nobody gets to yell instruction, nobody gets to coach you, nothing. There are no rounds, and there is no coaching.

People say this, but I don't think many of them actually sat though some of those snoozefests that happened because of it. I don't think it's a change that's for the better. More rounds also means more stalling once you get a lead, and less urgency all around.

Personally I'm fine with 3x5, or at least don't see it as a big enough problem to warrant changing.

Revealing scorecards to the fighters after every round would do away with stalling if you're in the lead because the other fighter would be desperate with no delusions that the fight is in his favor.

Grappling uses a lot more energy.

Oh yeah, than what?

I have championed three minute rounds for years.

Five for a non-title and nine, yes I said fucking nine, for title fights and main events.

I also think 10 minute rounds would be awful to watch.

Clueless.

You would probably have fighters passing out from exhaustion.

MMA is physically more taxing than boxing.

Here is another clueless individual who is probably overweight and can't do one push-up.

Lol those pride 10 minute rounds were brutal, I think 5 minute rounds are ideal though, any longer and we'll be having a more heavyweights gassing out after the 1st.

Fighting is brutal, stop crying.

Exactly what I said earlier. Can't compare MMA and boxing in this regard.

Yes, you easily can, except you don't have the knowledge to do so. Go take a Biology, Anatomy, and Physiology course.

I agree that 3 rounds isn't enough. Fighters now a days are so conditioned, that 3 rounds is not enough to tire them out.

Lol, everyone is saying it is too tiring, now this guy is saying it isn't tiring enough.

They would have to cut roughly half of the roster, or most fights would look like this

wdGJ2.gif

Just stop. Should I use your life as an example of what can be accomplished? No.

Gassing out and having to sit there while somebody hits you is part of actual fighting. MMA is supposed to be closer to real fighting, and seeing who can use effective martial arts to defeat/finish an opponent.. IDK, I didn't see everybody gassing in Pride, so I don't think it would happen. 3 minute rounds would be a joke.

Exactly, 3 minute rounds would be a joke, especially with a grappling element. How are you supposed to work? No stand-ups, no rounds, no coaching, 15 or 20 minutes I don't care, fence grabbing allowed.

I don't think 10min rounds are very fan friendly. I do think that 3x5 minute rounds are garbage. 5x5 should be the standard of all fights & 7x5 Should be Championship fights. The gas tanks of MMA fighters as a whole are garbage. The deviation towards a x-fit style of training for cardio is a big problem.

Now you want a 7x5 minute fight? Lol, seriously dude...10 minute rounds aren't fan friendly? FAN FRIENDLY? GO SIT IN THE CORNER!

I respect your opinion, but truly that was one of the single goofiest things in all of sports.
I realize many people loved it, but I personally just didnt get it at all.
I feel the guys got to worn out and fights tended to get sloppy.

That being said I loved the pride days

Fights got sloppy? Guys got worn out? How many Pride fights have you actually seen?

you should try and carry someone for 15min while getting punched/kicked everywhere. comeback after to ask for more rounds ok?

Ignorance.

5 5min rounds just make fighters pull back to conserve energy...

grappling is about 100x more exhausting then straight boxing or standup

Just stop you have no idea what you're talking about...at all.

10 minute 1st round is great if u wanna see every HW fighter (save Cain) gas in the first round of every fight.

Also, comparing MMA to boxing in this regard is asinine. MMA, with wrestling, clinching, etc. is far more physically demanding than boxing. T

You're just another sheep repeating what other people say so they can pat you on the back. You have no formal education in Biology, Physiology, or Anatomy. The human body ADAPTS to the type of work you give it. So no, a wrestler being put in a boxing ring will die, a wrestler put in a swimming pool will die, a wrestler forced to run long distance will die. That isn't what a wrestler does on a day to day basis, he might cross-train but his main sport is wrestling, if you want to have wrestling cardio you wrestle. So no, it isn't more physically demanding, not at all. The body has simply been conditioned for two different activities.

At all.

It's a five round Boxing match.. No Boxing match worth spit is less than 8 rounds, that is 24 minutes.. And really, any decent fight is minimum 10 rounds. MMA and it's grappling soul actually kind of states that MORE time is needed, not less, especially per round, of course. 10-5-5 would be about a 7 round Boxing match, respectively. The UFC could cut down a bit on its roster with longer bouts, and 3 round BS decisions based on a couple TDs could help to be reduced. Anybody else think 3-5's just isn't enough? It really isn't.

Why are so many Sherdoggers trying to reinvent the wheel as of late???

Is it because they're over their I Love MMA fad???

Some fights have more action in one round than other fights do in five!

Do what I do...throw some chicken wings in the oven (375 degrees for 28-33 minutes, depending on your oven), pop in a CPK BBQ Chicken personal pizza, grab a cold brewsky and enjoy the dang fights! There's so many frickin' events and orgs nowadays, that something's bound to rekindle your love for this awesome sport!

10 minute rounds? Not in this day and age. Watch PPV buys plummet even more.

Who the fuck aside from the middle aged 40+ Pride fan boy club wants 10 minute first rounds?

Also, this thread reeks of the average, overweight American with no formal training in sports at all.

Remember to apply all that to WMMA also. Because we all want to see 10-15 minutes MORE of them putting on white belt clinics.

like Konster said i would love the first round to be a ten minute round Pride style. the problem i see in adding more rounds would be in the heavyweight division primary. Some heavy's gas after one round.

Who the fuck aside from the middle aged 40+ Pride fan boy club wants 10 minute first rounds?

Also, this thread reeks of the average, overweight American with no formal training in sports at all.

Simmer down, Jack LaLanne!

Valid points, though!

Why are so many Sherdoggers trying to reinvent the wheel as of late???

Is it because they're over their I Love MMA fad???

Some fights have more action in one round than other fights do in five!

Do what I do...throw some chicken wings in the oven (375 degrees for 28-33 minutes, depending on your oven), pop in a CPK BBQ Chicken personal pizza, grab a cold brewsky and enjoy the dang fights! There's so many frickin' events and orgs nowadays, that something's bound to rekindle your love for this awesome sport!

The sport is awesome, and I love watching all fights even if they are boring. However I think all things can improve, and that is all we're doing here trying to figure out a way to improve upon the model we already have.

I'm not 40, I'm not a Pride fanboy and I want to get rid of rounds and have only one 15 minute fight, and championship would be one 25 minute fight. No stand-ups, 12 to 6 elbow is allowed, fence grabbing is allowed. Average overweight american with no formal training? 10 years BJJ, Tae Kwon Do, Karate, Boxing, Kickboxing, you know the Martial Arts trend. So I think you're clueless and you need to go sit in the corner...

Remember to apply all that to WMMA also. Because we all want to see 10-15 minutes MORE of them putting on white belt clinics.

I love WMMA, and the best part is if the fight ever stalls on the ground I really enjoy looking at the women's bodies. White belt clinic? I have a few women I would like you to step into the ring with...

like Konster said i would love the first round to be a ten minute round Pride style. the problem i see in adding more rounds would be in the heavyweight division primary. Some heavy's gas after one round.

Ugh...the logic fail by people amazes me. So heavy guys get tired more easily huh? I guess we should always consider the heavyweights when making rules because we don't want them to get too tired right? INTO THE CORNER WITH YOU!

The sport is awesome, and I love watching all fights even if they are boring. However I think all things can improve, and that is all we're doing here trying to figure out a way to improve upon the model we already have.

"The sport is awesome...I love watching all fights even if they are boring."

See how that might conflict with your desire/quest to improve the sport?

The sport was once a bare-knuckle, ball-punching circus show!

Minor adjustments can be made here and there like in mainstream sports, but you can't go around changing the number of quarters, periods, and/or innings.

Yes, boxing went from 15 to 12, but it simply doesn't translate to MMA.

I love WMMA, and the best part is if the fight ever stalls on the ground I really enjoy looking at the women's bodies. White belt clinic? I have a few women I would like you to step into the ring with...

Ugh...the logic fail by people amazes me. So heavy guys get tired more easily huh? I guess we should always consider the heavyweights when making rules because we don't want them to get too tired right? INTO THE CORNER WITH YOU!

i'm not sure if your serious, but ya i think its obvious heavy's gas quicker then everyone else.?? and ya the UFC should consider how longer rounds would effect every division, that seems logical to me. whats the logic fail ?

Now you want a 7x5 minute fight? Lol, seriously dude...10 minute rounds aren't fan friendly? FAN FRIENDLY? GO SIT IN THE CORNER!

Last time I heard sport was a business. Without the business there is no athletes & the main competitors are bums.

A 25 minute fight is pointless. The break is there is improve lactate levels. 25minutes irrespective of the athlete will end up one big sloppy mess, much akin to a 36 minute straight boxing bout.

7x5 is more than reasonable. I've spent 15 years boxing and 10 in MMA & Boxing has a higher movement output. MMA fighters should be able to last 7 rounds & if they can't they're inferior athletes.

... because every account here is a prepubescent.

Relating this to boxing, I have to watch Floyds fights on 30 minute delay to fast forward his point fest. More time would be more tap n run.

Back