3-five-minute rounds isn't enough-

Amerikuracana

Life allows the illusion of relativity
Banned
Reaction score
At all.

It's a five round Boxing match.. No Boxing match worth spit is less than 8 rounds, that is 24 minutes.. And really, any decent fight is minimum 10 rounds. MMA and it's grappling soul actually kind of states that MORE time is needed, not less, especially per round, of course. 10-5-5 would be about a 7 round Boxing match, respectively. The UFC could cut down a bit on its roster with longer bouts, and 3 round BS decisions based on a couple TDs could help to be reduced. Anybody else think 3-5's just isn't enough? It really isn't.

I would like the first round to be ten minutes like it was in PRIDE. Other than that I'm pretty fine with the way it is now.

in a perfect world championship fights would have no round limit.

Shorter rounds and a lot more break time in boxing. Forget that shit, it's a joke.

At all.

It's a five round Boxing match.. No Boxing match worth spit is less than 8 rounds, that is 24 minutes.. And really, any decent fight is minimum 10 rounds. MMA and it's grappling soul actually kind of states that MORE time is needed, not less, especially per round, of course. 10-5-5 would be about a 7 round Boxing match, respectively. The UFC could cut down a bit on its roster with longer bouts, and 3 round BS decisions based on a couple TDs could help to be reduced. Anybody else think 3-5's just isn't enough? It really isn't.

With the grappling component, extended lengths are just going to lead to more coasting. It's truly taxing in a way circling and throwing 30 or less punches in a round isn't.

You've watched enough boxing to know that every three rounds the clinching becomes nearly unbearable. The only way to rest in MMA is to wall and stall or hang out in guard. I don't think this helps do anything but encourage that. You're kidding if you don't think Fitch would have been more happy to have longer while both fighters were dry to keep someone grounded for 10 minutes.

I don't think enough people have seen that many initial 10 minute rounds from Pride. It was painful at times.

Lastly cardio is already embarrassing far too often. No need to find ways to exacerbate it. Plus economical Reem was lambasted by "fans" and Dana. If you're telling him he's going to fight longer that gets better? You're just asking for more pacing.

Last edited:
With the grappling component, extended lengths are just going to lead to more coasting. It's truly taxing in a way circling and throwing 30 or less punches in a round isn't.

You've watched enough boxing to know that every three rounds the clinching becomes nearly unbearable. The only way to rest in MMA is to wall and stall or hang out in guard. I don't think this helps do anything but encourage that.

I don't think enough people have seen the initial 10 minute rounds from Pride. It was painful at times.

Lastly cardio is already embarrassing at times. No need to find ways to exacerbate it.
pretty much this more rounds is terrible idea in so many ways will cause a lot of problem specially for more than half of the roster with cardio issues.

I would say mma is more a exhausting sport...IMHO
15 min is just fine

Tell the fighters that

Some of them can't go one round

You've watched enough boxing to know that every three rounds the clinching becomes nearly unbearable. The only way to rest in MMA is to wall and stall or hang out in guard. I don't think this helps do anything but encourage that.

I don't think enough people have seen the initial 10 minute rounds from Pride. It was painful at times.

Lastly cardio is already embarrassing at times. No need to find ways to exacerbate it.

I would say stand-ups for stalling now pretty much remedy the problem.. MMA is not a toughman contest, those didn't sell. There is a lot of serious skill, and the KO's and crazy subs will happen, and are more exciting when every single fight isn't a sloppy brawl.

I would be fine with 10-5-5 with different scoring for the first, and 10-5-5-5-5 for title fights.

No its good how it is. But id be ok with 5 rounds being the norm for all fights.

I'm just glad that all main events whether if they're title fights or not are all 5 rounders now. It used to be so lame in the past when you would have a non title fight headline a PPV but it only being a 3 round fight.

I think it's okay the way it is. Out of the rules that need changing, round structure is not one of them

I would say stand-ups for stalling now pretty much remedy the problem.. MMA is not a toughman contest, those didn't sell. There is a lot of serious skill, and the KO's and crazy subs will happen, and are more exciting when every single fight isn't a sloppy brawl.

You can't call it MMA and then be mad when one fighter stalls another out. Wrestling and Jiu-jitsu are huge components. If you can't stay up right, circle off the cage (a huge personal pet peeve) reverse/sweep to get back up or at least make someone concerned about hanging out in your guard you deserve to be sat on. Oddly well rounded fighters never seem to have these problems.

Anderson was pasted for 22 minutes, being 30+ years old, potentially injured coming into the fight, by a larger opponent and still forced the tap. The guy is a lion and has a true champions mentality, but the point is you're never helpless unless you lack the skill to do something about it.

"True skill" isn't stifled by a lack in breaks. It means you're an awesome kick boxer who skips wrestling practice. Condit is the prime example of someone who seems to have no understanding of how to wrestle but has found ways to remain massively competitive.

This was always the evolution of the sport. As guys become more well rounded it has become a game of inches. There's a reason minus the second Tate fight that Rhonda has finished every opponent and all but one by armbar. WMMA seems like the wild west because the skill gaps are canyons and they don't have to honour punching power. It's a time portal back to early NHB.

If you want more action, start lobbying against weight cutting. Even the great Aldo looks like he's going to die on the scale and gives up rounds 4/5 almost every fight.

At all.

I agree except I don't like rounds at all. Do away with rounds, they were invented for betting purposes, useless. I think there should simply be a one 20 minute round, with no stand-ups, fence grabbing allowed, toes in fence allowed, 12 to 6 elbow is allowed.

You've watched enough boxing to know that every three rounds the clinching becomes nearly unbearable. The only way to rest in MMA is to wall and stall or hang out in guard. I don't think this helps do anything but encourage that. You're kidding if you don't think Fitch would have been more happy to have longer while both fighters were dry to keep someone grounded for 10 minutes.

I don't think enough people have seen that many initial 10 minute rounds from Pride. It was painful at times.

Lastly cardio is already embarrassing far too often. No need to find ways to exacerbate it. Plus economical Reem was lambasted by "fans" and Dana. If you're telling him he's going to fight longer that gets better? You're just asking for more pacing.

So since the fighters have poor cardio according to you, that is why the rules should stay the same? There is nothing wrong with pacing. I will still watch and pay. Not all fighters in boxing clinch to rest.

I would say mma is more a exhausting sport...IMHO
15 min is just fine

They are both exhausting in different ways. Any MMA fighter in a 12 round fight would die.

If you want more action, start lobbying against weight cutting. Even the great Aldo looks like he's going to die on the scale and gives up rounds 4/5 almost every fight.

I'm strongly against weight cutting. The weigh-ins should be upon entry into the octagon.
Most promotions would then lose another point on their agenda and it would definitely harms some fighters' purses, as sponsors would not be exposed on the weigh-in night.
So these are the reasons why it won't happen.
Again, fighters like Hendricks DC and Plenty of others would have to fight against naturally heavier opposition with a larger body frame. A nightmare for some this might be.

The grappling potion of MMA is extremely physically taxing. The shorter fights actually means fighters don't need to pace themselves as much. They are able to exert more energy in actually trying to knock opponents out.

I would like the first round to be ten minutes like it was in PRIDE. Other than that I'm pretty fine with the way it is now.

I read somewhere that the 10 minute round results were virtually identical as 2x 5 minute rounds. No source, just something I remember... I love pride as much as the next guy but I prefer the 5 minute rounds. I watched a lot of pride fights that could have used a break to stand them up too.

In my opinion 10-5-5 standard and for championship fights an extra 10 minutes for sudden death if the result is draw/tie...

The biggest problem I have is SCORING by 5 minute chunks in such an arbitrary way - boxing scoring works because its 'boxing' (a discrete skill that is judged) and its scored numerous times over the match (12 or 15).

MMA, scoring only 3 rounds in a similar way and considering the huge changes in dynamic between standing and ground, and inappropriate criteria, it leads to big issues, which we repeatedly see. i.e. Two rounds are extremely close and almost insignificant overall in comparison to the third round which is a blow out and has all the significance in the fight, yet the fighter who is being dominated late (by won two close rounds) is declared the winner of the fight, or at best is a draw, where in all common sense he should have lost.

I think either the fight is scored every minute and tallied to get better granularity and spread of the significant moments in the fight, or JUDGED ENTIRELY using competent judges who can take the whole 20 minutes into account and use a common sense criteria to judge against.

Or a bit of both, where judges use the score tally as evidence to make a final decision.

3x(7-8)min rounds is what I want. For championship fights or otherwise. It really doesn't make sense to have different round systems just for championship fights. The only way having different round systems that makes sense is if there was a class system like shooto has.

Back