3-five-minute rounds isn't enough-

I have championed three minute rounds for years.
Three minute rounds? Easier and more transparent to score, I guess, but that's a really short time to work. I don't like it.

If it's two top fighters, let them go in ahead of time knowing it's going to be a best 2 out of 3 series of fights over three separate events.

Chuck vs Couture trilogy turned out good. So did GSP vs Hughes.

Lol those pride 10 minute rounds were brutal, I think 5 minute rounds are ideal though, any longer and we'll be having a more heavyweights gassing out after the 1st.

Lol those pride 10 minute rounds were brutal, I think 5 minute rounds are ideal though, any longer and we'll be having a more heavyweights gassing out after the 1st.

Remember though, Pride had a TWO minute rest period after the first round

I always thought it was best to have 4 minute rounds with 4 rounds per match and 1m 30s breaks in between rounds like pride rather than just one minute. Less gassing and fight is 1 minute longer. Best of both worlds. Title fights can be 7 rounds. Only problem is guys getting dropped at end of round and having too much time to recover, leading to more brain damage. Another is 1.5 min breaks might get a bit exhaustive for some people as it would technically make up nearly a third of the fight. But i greatly enjoy watching replays in between rounds, the more the better.

I agree that 3 rounds isn't enough. Fighters now a days are so conditioned, that 3 rounds is not enough to tire them out.

I say they fight to the death, BJ Penn style

They would have to cut roughly half of the roster, or most fights would look like this

wdGJ2.gif

Gassing out and having to sit there while somebody hits you is part of actual fighting. MMA is supposed to be closer to real fighting, and seeing who can use effective martial arts to defeat/finish an opponent.. IDK, I didn't see everybody gassing in Pride, so I don't think it would happen. 3 minute rounds would be a joke.

At all.

It's a five round Boxing match.. No Boxing match worth spit is less than 8 rounds, that is 24 minutes.. And really, any decent fight is minimum 10 rounds. MMA and it's grappling soul actually kind of states that MORE time is needed, not less, especially per round, of course. 10-5-5 would be about a 7 round Boxing match, respectively. The UFC could cut down a bit on its roster with longer bouts, and 3 round BS decisions based on a couple TDs could help to be reduced. Anybody else think 3-5's just isn't enough? It really isn't.

I don't think 10min rounds are very fan friendly. I do think that 3x5 minute rounds are garbage. 5x5 should be the standard of all fights & 7x5 Should be Championship fights. The gas tanks of MMA fighters as a whole are garbage. The deviation towards a x-fit style of training for cardio is a big problem.

I don't think 10min rounds are very fan friendly. I do think that 3x5 minute rounds are garbage. 5x5 should be the standard of all fights & 7x5 Should be Championship fights. The gas tanks of MMA fighters as a whole are garbage. The deviation towards a x-fit style of training for cardio is a big problem.

I agree. 5x5 should be the standard. Too many fights end just as the better fighter is starting to pull away. The current standard of 3 rounds allows a lesser fighter that's good in one area to possibly steal the victory. The longer a fight goes, the more likely it is that the better fighter will win.

I would like the first round to be ten minutes like it was in PRIDE. Other than that I'm pretty fine with the way it is now.

I respect your opinion, but truly that was one of the single goofiest things in all of sports.
I realize many people loved it, but I personally just didnt get it at all.
I feel the guys got to worn out and fights tended to get sloppy.

That being said I loved the pride days

Three 6-min round = 18 min. Brings it upto PRIDE levels.

I agree. 5x5 should be the standard. Too many fights end just as the better fighter is starting to pull away. The current standard of 3 rounds allows a lesser fighter that's good in one area to possibly steal the victory. The longer a fight goes, the more likely it is that the better fighter will win.

That's pretty accurate. 5-5's is better for any fight that matters. 3-5s undercard only.

Two rounds are extremely close and almost insignificant overall in comparison to the third round which is a blow out and has all the significance in the fight, yet the fighter who is being dominated late (by won two close rounds) is declared the winner of the fight, or at best is a draw, where in all common sense he should have lost.

My understanding is that in boxing, a round which is a "blow out" is not usually scored 10-9.

you should try and carry someone for 15min while getting punched/kicked everywhere. comeback after to ask for more rounds ok?

Back