3 Boxers are UFC champs.

If the wrestler takes him down but happens to hit his own head on that pavement you're talking about? We've seen fighters KO themselves on a canvas with a takedown. IMO boxing is a safer bet for a street/bar fight.

Nothing wrong with that argument, I would just say that the Ronda fight just showed and you could say Conor/Eddie aswell, you still have to get close enough to grab them before they turn your switch off.
But they also have to have the TDD. If Conor and Nuñes had no training in how to defend clinches and double-legs, they would have been taken down, easily.

But they also have to have the TDD. If Conor and Nuñes had no training in how to defend clinches and double-legs, they would have been taken down, easily.

True, but, Eddie and Ronda were both rocked before they could even attempt a takedown. That's gotta severely lower their chances.

The best base is distance control

Somebody should start a new martial arts gym called DISTANCE CONTROL

It would teach all techniques to remain outside, get inside or stay in mid-range, in addition to all techniques that allow transitioning from one distance to the other

This is the best base for MMA as it emphasizes controlling and optimizing the positioning of a fighter with respect to his opponent.

All MMA techniques require a certain distance to be effective and once a fighter becomes a master of distance control, then he can best express his grappling and striking talents.

This is a key factor in what makes GSP, Machida, Anderson, Aldo and Jones so effective and is the one key attribute that all have in common and have a tremendous mastery over.

Fighters with immense potential who never seem to realize it often fail because of remaining subpar in this domain, I.e. Pettis

Last edited:
Freddie Roach did not teach Arlovski how to throw a flying knee which allowed him to get knocked out.

You stupid idiot. Don't people on Sherdog know how to apply common sense in any of their posts?

<36>

Dominick was supposedly "untouchable" until a half-decent boxer beat him up.

If you can box, you are an immediate contender in the UFC. If you can box and wrestle, you're championship material.
i never bought this "untouchable" bullshit. He got tagged by Dillashaw and Uriah dropped him two times in their second bout(that was hard for both guys).

Is this really a surprise? Boxing is probably the first martial art that ever existed. It doesn't get any more straightforward than hitting a guy with your hands.

The best base is distance control

Somebody should start a new martial arts gym called DISTANCE CONTROL

It would teach all techniques to remain outside, get inside or stay in mid-range, in addition to all techniques that allow transitioning from one distance to the other

This is the best base for MMA as it emphasizes controlling and optimizing the positioning of a fighter with respect to his opponent.

All MMA techniques require a certain distance to be effective and once a fighter becomes a master of distance control, then he can best express his grappling and striking talents.

This is a key factor in what makes GSP, Machida, Fedor, Anderson, Aldo and Jones so effective and is the one key attribute that all have in common and have a tremendous mastery over.

Fighters with immense potential who never seem to realize it often fail because of remaining subpar in this domain, I.e. Pettis

You forgot to add Mayweather in there too.

Boxing is probably your best tool in a street fight too.

BS, 1 - 1 street fight, best bet is wrestling, take down + GNP on pavement is as one sided as it gets.

Is a take a wrestler over a boxer in a street fight any day
CkoVxZSWgAA1g_7.jpg

main-qimg-47b2d4d14a022c8fec7b634273cf6b76-c

CkoVxZSWgAA1g_7.jpg

RugerLCP2.jpg

CkoVxZSWgAA1g_7.jpg

Boxing and good wrestling is the absolute best base.
Chuck Liddell showed that years ago and his boxing sucked.
If you have good TDD and great hands, your gonna do great in mma.

This is true because both heavily emphasize distance control and are dependent on the proper distance to express their techniques

Dominick was supposedly "untouchable" until a half-decent boxer beat him up.

If you can box, you are an immediate contender in the UFC. If you can box and wrestle, you're championship material.

"Someone with only a year of training in boxing and wrestling could easily defeat a martial artist of twenty years experience."

Bruce Lee

Garbrandt, McGregor and Stipe are UFC BW/FW/LW/HW champs.

Is Boxing the best new base for MMA?
5 wrestlers are MMA champs. Stipe, Cormier, Tyron, Cody, and Mighty Mouse. It's a stupid argument really. The truth is that 10 Mixed Martial Artists are UFC champs

"Someone with only a year of training in boxing and wrestling could easily defeat a martial artist of twenty years experience."

Bruce Lee
I Think he was only saying this because boxers actually sparred where as a lot of TMA's make you wait a long time to spar if it all. Best way to learn how to fight is to fight. It's the best way to learn anything immersion.

Garbrandt, McGregor and Stipe are UFC BW/FW/LW/HW champs.

Is Boxing the best new base for MMA?

more than those three. (Well 2, Stipes not a "boxer")

Amanda Nunes and Joanna J both come from Muay Thai

and the third womens champ will be either boxer (Holm) or Kickboxing (Gdr)

You should get out the basement and actually be involved in a fight.

You will not see a wrestler go for a diving ankle pick in a bar. I even once saw a wrestler try to take down a dude in a street fight and he injured his knee being that it hit the concrete pavement as he dove for a double leg. The other dude ended up fucking him up.

Go to Youtube and you will see multiple videos of boxers taking out multiple attackers in a street fight.

Lee Murray knocked out Tito Ortiz in a street fight with boxing combos.

Don Frye got knocked out by a boxer in a hotel lobby brawl.

A street fight is not UFC. In a street fight people will throw fists because the first thing that comes in their mind is that they want to hurt the other person by punching them in the face.

To be fair though...I sure as shiz with a z wouldn't want to take a free style 5 pointer on the sidewalk.

I Think he was only saying this because boxers actually sparred where as a lot of TMA's make you wait a long time to spar if it all. Best way to learn how to fight is to fight. It's the best way to learn anything immersion.

Makes sense. He did credited Boxing for helping him to develop punching power. He said that Wing Chun did not allow him to have power since it took alot of punches for him to take out another martial artist in a street fight, were as boxing helped him develop that KO power.

This...same thing with wrestling...live fire so to speak day in and day out...better for preparing you for someone coming at you full steam with bad intentions.

To be fair though...I sure as shiz with a z wouldn't want to take a free style 5 pointer on the sidewalk.

True. If the wrestler has a great chin and you lack KO power, you better make sure he does not grab you and slam the shit out of you on the pavement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back