3 Boxers are UFC champs.

If the wrestler takes him down but happens to hit his own head on that pavement you're talking about? We've seen fighters KO themselves on a canvas with a takedown. IMO boxing is a safer bet for a street/bar fight.

Please, it's very hard to ko yourself with wrestling, there have been more hands broken with punching, and femurs broken with leg kicks than Wrestlers KO'ing themselves with a TD ya goof.

lol Cody and Stipe are wrestlers too smh don't forget that......
True. I doubt we'll ever see high level boxers ever cross over and have success at the rate wrestlers do. Rather, it seems more likely that we'll see more guys like McGregor, Cody, and Stipe, guys who have enough amateur boxing experience to possess superior boxing fundamentals when compared to the average MMA fighter but also cross train early in their careers. In Cody's case I think he started amateur wrestling before he even started amateur boxing. So instead of committing to one sport or the other and training it to a high level, he got his feet wet in two great complementary sports before transitioning to MMA.

True, but, Eddie and Ronda were both rocked before they could even attempt a takedown. That's gotta severely lower their chances.
Both Alvarez and Rousey grabbed the clinch at one point, its just got shut down by their opponent. Those crucial moments where the clinch is shut down and the distance game on the feet is imposed is just as important, if not more so, than the work McGregor and Nunes did once they had distance. It gives them the confidence to let their hands go. If Nunes got thrown on the first or second tie up that could've made her far more timid and less able to find the KO.

Last edited:
Garbrandt, McGregor and Stipe are UFC BW/FW/LW/HW champs.

Is Boxing the best new base for MMA?

Boxing, huh?

TeemingUnrealisticKingfisher.gif

Please, it's very hard to ko yourself with wrestling, there have been more hands broken with punching, and femurs broken with leg kicks than Wrestlers KO'ing themselves with a TD ya goof.

Wrestlers can get knocked out going for a takedown witha DDT. It happened for example to Mark Kerr.

And I once saw a wrestler go for a double leg in a street fight and he bashed his knee against the concrete during the attempt. The other guy ended up falling on top of the wrestler and fucked him up with GnP.

The other guy was not even a fighter. He mainly lifted weights.

True. I doubt we'll ever see high level boxers ever cross over .

This has never happened. The closest we got to see this was with James Toney who was over the hill and not even ranked top 20 in his sport anymore. Ray Mercer who was 50 years old and retired from Boxing. And Jeremy Williams who also retired from boxing and went on to have 5 MMA wins.

Some good points made here, we are seeing the importance of Boxing in MMA.

Shows you how much of an idiot Rogan was in that interview with Lou Dibella way back

"Hurr durr, that boxin stuff just doesn't work in dat dere UFC"

This has never happened. The closest we got to see this was with James Toney who was over the hill and not even ranked top 20 in his sport anymore. Ray Mercer who was 50 years old and retired from Boxing. And Jeremy Williams who also retired from boxing and went on to have 5 MMA wins.
Yeah its never really happened and its unlikely to ever happen. The top boxers make too much money in their sport and I bet by the time they're top boxers in their sport it would be hard for many to transition to MMA once they've trained for a certain rule set and style for so long.

Also Gus is another guy with an amateur boxing record who has found success in MMA, Not a champ like the three mentioned in the OP but he's been at the top of his division and he's always a few wins away from a title shot at LHW.

Fights at a club or a bar???

Doesn't actually mean there on the streets.

There's also altercations some go through with individuals like a sisters ex boyfriend

I wouldn't want to take a fight to the ground in a bar or club at all. There is almost certainly a "crew" around. The scariest part of a street/bar fight is the potential for a drunk guy going too far. You can tackle somebody, but his friend's foot to your head will end your ground and pound (and maybe life) pretty quick.

If you need to avenge your sister by going after her boyfriend, I guess that could be a good time to ground and pound somebody, but that's a pretty rare occasion hopefully, and nothing a good straight right couldn't fix. Also sounds like an easy way to wind up in jail.

True. I doubt we'll ever see high level boxers ever cross over and have success at the rate wrestlers do. Rather, it seems more likely that we'll see more guys like McGregor, Cody, and Stipe, guys who have enough amateur boxing experience to possess superior boxing fundamentals when compared to the average MMA fighter but also cross train early in their careers. In Cody's case I think he started amateur wrestling before he even started amateur boxing. So instead of committing to one sport or the other and training it to a high level, he got his feet wet in two great complementary sports before transitioning to MMA.
Yep i expect to see more of Cody's style of boxer wrestler with more emphasis on boxing compared to the old wrestle boxers that only did overhand rights

"Someone with only a year of training in boxing and wrestling could easily defeat a martial artist of twenty years experience."
--Bruce Lee

We have known for a long time like combing striking and grappling is the key to unarmed combat. Whether that's boxing and wrestling (Cody), Muay Thai and BJJ (Anderson Silva) or Karate and bloody sumo (Machida). Combat Sambo already combines both into one art.

Yep i expect to see more of Cody's style of boxer wrestler with more emphasis on boxing compared to the old wrestle boxers that only did overhand rights
Hendricks is like the last of those old school boxer-wrestlers competing at a high level. Its a template that obviously worked well, given the success Hendricks and others before him found with it. But obviously it has its limits.

Hendricks is like the last of those old school boxer-wrestlers competing at a high level. Its a template that obviously worked well, given the success Hendricks and others before him found with it. But obviously it has its limits.
This is why i love MMA we are watching it evolve before our eyes even WMMA is catching up with Ronda being the Royce of WMMA and the division passing her up

This is why i love MMA we are watching it evolve before our eyes even WMMA is catching up with Ronda being the Royce of WMMA and the division passing her up
It'll be interesting to see how WMMA evolves from here on given the end of the Rousey era.

It'll be interesting to see how WMMA evolves from here on given the end of the Rousey era.
I predict strikers will be the next dominate in the division since the 2 most renowned grapplers retired or will retire

Back