2021 motor racing thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine dominating the whole race so you can lose the championship because Nicolas Latifi wanted to race wheel to wheel for 15th place

He thinks he's Senna. He saw a gap and went for the gap.. Pity it was a gap in the wall

Mercedes had the opportunity to have Hamilton make a pit stop and they didn’t take the risk. Hamilton even said over the radio “that (not pitting) is a bit of a risk”.

Red Bull and Max took a risk and pitted 3 times during the race and it worked out for them.

Max still had a lot of work to do in that final lap. He was able to overtake Hamilton and win.

Both drivers had a bit of luck in this race. Lewis in lap 1 and Max with the safety car.

At the end of the day, over the whole season, Max had the most wins and most podiums. He is a deserved champion.

Like I said before the race, all I wanted was a fair result today and it horribly failed again. Instead the race director micro manages the end of the race to screw Lewis who dominated the entire time…embarrassing for the sport. Wonder how the reception would be if something like that would have been done to a more popular driver.

I think Max is a massive douchebag and far too reckless on the track, but both are great and just driving. This politics crap is ruining the sport and both Mercedes and Red Bull as well as the FIA are to blame.

Whoever made that call to give us that ending deserves praise. It was going towards an anticlimactic finale with Hamilton cruising to the finish line, and then they suddenly they gave us a last lap cliffhanger between Max and Hamilton. It was unexpected for everyone including the drivers. Many titles have been decided on the last race, last few laps, last lap, but last lap between the top two with a deciding overtake is something that won’t be topped.

Deliberate and unfair or not, it was better for this “sport” (loosely used). Max is more exciting and that ending will be played for years to come and for causals to market and crossover. This “sport” has a new life breathed into it after Hamilton and Mercs sucked it out for nearly a decade.

Whoever made that call to give us that ending deserves praise. It was going towards an anticlimactic finale with Hamilton cruising to the finish line, and then they suddenly they gave us a last lap cliffhanger between Max and Hamilton. It was unexpected for everyone including the drivers. Many titles have been decided on the last race, last few laps, last lap, but last lap between the top two with a deciding overtake is something that won’t be topped.

Deliberate and unfair or not, it was better for this “sport” (loosely used). Max is more exciting and that ending will be played for years to come and for causals to market and crossover. This “sport” has a new life breathed into it after Hamilton and Mercs sucked it out for nearly a decade.
Bullshit. How would you like it if ref did same thing in football? Randomly giving penaltykicks based on standings.
3 penaltykicks for bottom 7 teams, 2 for teams in 8-13 and 1 for 5-7. In last 5 minutes in last game of the season.

Curious where you got this info so fast? Is there a video feed of what’s going on? I was looking around, but you were on top of it. Not that I need to waste more time on f1, but would be good to know.
i watched a post race show from germany and the moderators were insiders with newest informations, so they updated it live. nothing special or investigative from my side ;-)

He thinks he's Senna. He saw a gap and went for the gap.. Pity it was a gap in the wall
so the official explanation is because he went off the track a few corners prior, his tires were dirty and that spot is very slippery w/out grip, as we already saw in previos practice

Nah, disagree. I have no issue with the finish, but thats because I feel the officials acted appropriately and within the boundaries of the regulations.

Made up random calls that go against regulations have no place in any sport. If you want that in your motor racing, NASCAR exists.

i watched a post race show from germany and the moderators were insiders with newest informations, so they updated it live. nothing special or investigative from my side ;-)
Cool. Just didn’t know where you got it. Seems like you had a front row seat.

Nah, disagree. I have no issue with the finish, but thats because I feel the officials acted appropriately and within the boundaries of the regulations.

Made up random calls that go against regulations have no place in any sport. If you want that in your motor racing, NASCAR exists.
Nah. It was still a ridiculous decision and everyone knows it. But if the guy you (not you in particular, all of us) were backing benefited, it’s okay I guess. That was a farce and they interpreted the rules to back their decision. In the end, when Lewis was able to manage the lead, max needed a miracle and got it.

The Mercedes position on this is just disgraceful. Not only was the appeal denied on grounds that the racing director has full say over such matters, the substance of the appeal itself is so freaking wormy and debased. They’re mad that the five lapped cars separating the two leaders were allowed to pass, thereby making it a race and not the additional thee lapped cars which would not figure into the picture in any way but that would prevent them from having to race.

There’s going to be a whole new category of memes from Toto’s whining over the radio…

After going back and watching the end several times, there was plenty of time for them to let all lapped cars through. When the initial "no lapped cars will be allowed through" call came in, they still had another like 2 minutes before they let the ones between Max and Lewis through. Had that happened Max still would have won and we wouldn't have all this drama.

The people that, in my opinion, have a larger legitimate gripe is the teams that got screwed by having unlapped cars in front of them. Ricciardo for example had fresh softs on with multiple drivers ahead of him on old tires but he wasn't allowed to unlap thus was stuck with a front row seat to the Lewis/Max fight. He and others essentially got penalized 30+ seconds.

Last edited:
After going back and watching the end several times, there was plenty of time for them to let all lapped cars through. When the initial "no lapped cars will be allowed through" call came in, they still had another like 2 minutes before they let the ones between Max and Lewis through. Had that happened Max still would have won and we wouldn't have all this drama.
maybe if horner didn't intervene and ask exactly that, putting open pressure on them, they'd have finished behind the sc

Someone correct me if I'm wrong... But, does all cars need to be unlapped or do all cars need to be unlapped AND all lined up ready to go? If it's a) they could've let all the cars got 30s up the road and then pull in the safety car for Max and Lewis to race it off but I don't think that's the procedure? By the rules, I think Lewis got done dirty but refs make bad calls all the time.

For all of Toto's whining, the most telling comment is Horner's "We only need one lap of racing"

Starting next year they will no longer allow teams to have a line to the race director during races. I think it's a good decision. As entertaining as it is to hear the team's complain and Masi shut them down, his job is stressful enough without having 10 differing opinions in his ear trying to influence decisions.

Lewis got fucked over by Masi and the FIA. They handed the world championship to Max on a silver platter. Simply put, rules were broken to allow a restart on the very last lap where only the cars in between the two leaders were allowed to unlap themselves. The bullshit rule of the race director being able to overwrite ANY rules is absolutely insane. No one rule should be able to nullify the rest of hte entire rule book.

I used to like Red Bull and Max, but they were some whining ass bitches during the season, drove dirty and dangerously, and can all suck on this asterisk championship!

Lewis got fucked over by Masi and the FIA. They handed the world championship to Max on a silver platter. Simply put, rules were broken to allow a restart on the very last lap where only the cars in between the two leaders were allowed to unlap themselves. The bullshit rule of the race director being able to overwrite ANY rules is absolutely insane. No one rule should be able to nullify the rest of the entire rule book.

I used to like Red Bull and Max, but they were some whining ass bitches during the season, drove dirty and dangerously, and can all suck on this asterisk championship!

It's not like Lewis didn't commit a blatant violation earlier in the race and DIDN'T HAVE TO GIVE THE POSITION BACK. That being said, the FIA is a clown show. I thought NASCAR was bad, but FIA said hold my beer.

It's not like Lewis didn't commit a blatant violation earlier in the race and DIDN'T HAVE TO GIVE THE POSITION BACK. That being said, the FIA is a clown show. I thought NASCAR was bad, but FIA said hold my beer.

Lap 1, the late lunge by Max trying to crash into Lewis? Max was trying to win there too on a "racing incident", but Lewis escaped. In the end, the FIA found their chance to change the outcome and took it.

Hopefully they clean up this messy Masi decision making for next season. That guy has been the worst.

15 years from now we'll look back and realize all this controversy only contributed to make this an even more legendary season and added fuel to the VER-HAM and RBR-MER rivalries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back