• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

2021 motor racing thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like Wolff is throwing Bottas under the bus a bit.

“Valtteri stopped a little too early. This meant that the mechanic had to apply the impact wrench at an angle. The awkward angle damaged the wheel nut and we couldn’t bring it down.”

Reading between the lines, you can imagine that Mercedes may be preparing to move Bottas along. Here’s the pit stop. I’d say Wolff is electively framing it this way whereas he could have just as easily (more-so IMO) criticized the mechanic for not making the necessary adjustment.

What a dick move by Wolff.

“Valtteri stopped a little too early. This meant that the mechanic had to apply the impact wrench at an angle. The awkward angle damaged the wheel nut and we couldn’t bring it down.”

Reading between the lines, you can imagine that Mercedes may be preparing to move Bottas along. Here’s the pit stop. I’d say Wolff is electively framing it this way whereas he could have just as easily (more-so IMO) criticized the mechanic for not making the necessary adjustment.

So he is saying because the mechanic couldn't figure out how to move his body to a position where the wrench was in the correct position, it has to be Valtteri's fault because he didn't stop his vehicle on a precise location? I think that is a bit of a stretch since the mechanic on the other side got his wheel nut off just fine.

So he is saying because the mechanic couldn't figure out how to move his body to a position where the wrench was in the correct position, it has to be Valtteri's fault because he didn't stop his vehicle on a precise location? I think that is a bit of a stretch since the mechanic on the other side got his wheel nut off just fine.

Doesn’t make a lot of sense does it? That’s why I can only interpret this as them preparing to fire Bottas.

Then there’s this...
Mercedes ‘to sign George Russell to replace Valtteri Bottas on two-year deal’ alongside Hamilton, claims F1 commentator

Doesn’t make a lot of sense does it? That’s why I can only interpret this as them preparing to fire Bottas.

Then there’s this...
Mercedes ‘to sign George Russell to replace Valtteri Bottas on two-year deal’ alongside Hamilton, claims F1 commentator
If they want to get rid of Bottas then there is no need to make up dumb reasons. Everyone knows Russell is the next man up. I think that was made clear last year when Hamilton missed a race and Russell took his seat. Valtteri's best finishes have been three 3rd places finishes which is what everyone expects him to do. He's just not the driver that Hamilton and Verstappen are, but neither are any of the other drivers in the field. His two DNFs are 1) him and Russell crashed into each other on a wet course and 2) the mechanic not being able to get the wheel nut off which I can't see how that is Valtteri's fault. Not to mention it seems like every race Valtteri's pit stop is 4 second whereas Hamilton's is 2.5 seconds. Nobody on that team seems to be doing him any favors as far as I can tell.

Can someone explain what is so special about Russell? I think Wolff could put anybody in that seat and get the same results except for Tsunoda, Mick Schumacher, and Mazipen.

If they want to get rid of Bottas then there is no need to make up dumb reasons. Everyone knows Russell is the next man up. I think that was made clear last year when Hamilton missed a race and Russell took his seat. Valtteri's best finishes have been three 3rd places finishes which is what everyone expects him to do. He's just not the driver that Hamilton and Verstappen are, but neither are any of the other drivers in the field. His two DNFs are 1) him and Russell crashed into each other on a wet course and 2) the mechanic not being able to get the wheel nut off which I can't see how that is Valtteri's fault. Not to mention it seems like every race Valtteri's pit stop is 4 second whereas Hamilton's is 2.5 seconds. Nobody on that team seems to be doing him any favors as far as I can tell.

Can someone explain what is so special about Russell? I think Wolff could put anybody in that seat and get the same results except for Tsunoda, Mick Schumacher, and Mazipen.

Russell is British, racing for a former British team in a British media dominated sport so he is their Golden Child after his success in Formula 3 and Formula 2.

Daly and veekay swapping the lead back and forth at the indy. Seems like good team work. Can’t believe some of these guys are still driving. Helio in third at the moment.

Dixon and Rossi a lap down. Fun to watch them drive through just to get back on the lead lap.

Daly and veekay swapping the lead back and forth at the indy. Seems like good team work. Can’t believe some of these guys are still driving. Helio in third at the moment.

Dixon and Rossi a lap down. Fun to watch them drive through just to get back on the lead lap.

The best laid plans often go awry. Dixon and Rossi seemed to have a winning strategy as they stretched their fuel farther and were looking at one fewer stops but it bit them with the crash in pit lane when they needed fuel. If the crash had happened anywhere else on the track they could have made it.

Then Rahal was looking very good only to have the wheel literally fall off after leaving pit lane. I wonder how that happened.

There were far too many incidents on pit lane that resulted in some close calls for teams. They will need to investigate why so many drivers lost control under braking in pit lane. Maybe they need more pit entry practice time prior to the race.

Helio was in the right place at the right time and did some masterful driving to get the win. It's great to see a small team get the win.

The best laid plans often go awry. Dixon and Rossi seemed to have a winning strategy as they stretched their fuel farther and were looking at one fewer stops but it bit them with the crash in pit lane when they needed fuel. If the crash had happened anywhere else on the track they could have made it.

Then Rahal was looking very good only to have the wheel literally fall off after leaving pit lane. I wonder how that happened.

There were far too many incidents on pit lane that resulted in some close calls for teams. They will need to investigate why so many drivers lost control under braking in pit lane. Maybe they need more pit entry practice time prior to the race.

Helio was in the right place at the right time and did some masterful driving to get the win. It's great to see a small team get the win.
I thought palou was gonna get helio at the end. I’m sure the back markers didn’t help. Was a good ending.

Helio got saved by the back markers there but what a run for a guy his age with a small team.

Curious to see how Carpenter would have fared if he hadn't stalled on pit road early on. Seems like he gets bit by bad luck every year.

Russell is British, racing for a former British team in a British media dominated sport so he is their Golden Child after his success in Formula 3 and Formula 2.
That makes sense. I didn't consider his nationality to be a factor.

That makes sense. I didn't consider his nationality to be a factor.
Yeah. Right now he is being overshadowed by lando if you ask me. Yes, lando has a better car, but he also seems more liked among drivers and fans. GR seems like a good kid, but he didn’t win any fans going up to Bottas after their crash. I’d like to see them bring back pascal wehrlein as a German/British duo with Lewis.

Someone’s head needs to roll (no pun intended)

Someone’s head needs to roll (no pun intended)

I hate when they put the link to other videos on at the end and block the part I want to see.

I didn't see or hear anything about what went wrong so the wheel came off.

They usually run the car into the front jack man which tips the jack. You can see the jack man having to push the jack towards the car so the front was an instant late going up as well as being slightly back. It seems that a slight misalignment can strip the outside of the nut where the socket on the gun grabs it.

The flexible wing controversy has Red Bull saying they have met the spec that F1 tests to but the regulation says the wing can't flex. They have the wing flexing at just beyond what F1 tests it at. This was also a problem in NASCAR years ago until they figured out what the maximum force the air could put on the spoiler and tested well beyond that. I suspect F1 will do the same and Red Bull will have to stiffen the wing after Baku.

Red Bull are bringing a different wing to Baku but it might be because different aerodynamics are needed. The FIA has also required certain markings be put on all wings to help them determine the amount of flex on track. Red Bull might have stiffened the wing prior to the Baku race to avoid a possible protest from other teams that could lead to their cars being disqualified.

There has also been some talk from Red Bull about Mercedes front wings flexing.

Red Bull fastest in practice today but several teams didn't get fast laps because of the cars running off the track, crashing, spinning or just stopping. Leclerc went head on into the barrier losing his front wing. Hamilton locked a front wheel flat spotting a tire. Apparently they didn't want to use another set of soft tires so he ran a log run on mediums. The times were really falling off on the soft tires after about 8 laps so I suspect they will try to start on medium tires and finish on hard tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back