2020 Motorsports thread.

Perez tests positive for COVID 19 and is out for both races at Silverstone because of Britain's new 10 day quarantine requirement. Nico Hulkenberg appears to be the choice to replace him for practice in the morning.

Always liked Nico. Hope he does well. How the hell did he get it? Aren’t they isolated? Guess not.

Rather interesting practices Friday with Verstappen fastest in the first and 14th in the second. Albon was the fastest for a while in the second but he crashed hard enough to set off the g force sensors in his car bringing out a red flag and the medical car. Lance Stroll then took over the top spot followed by Albon, Bottas, Leclerc, Hamilton, Sainz and Hulkenberg driving in relief of Perez.

Vettel didn't get to practice in the first session because of an intercooler problem. In the afternoon session, he was interrupted on a lap by encountering a slow car and he said it felt like something was loose in the cockpit. He only managed 18th fastest. The teams weren't spending much effort on the afternoon session as it was much warmer than the forecast for the rest of the weekend.

After spinning in Q2 Lewis comes back and gets his 7th pole at Silverstone and 65th for Mercedes.

1: HAM 1:24.303
2: BOT +0.313
3: VER +1.022
4: LEC +1.124
5: NOR +1.479
6: STR +1.536
7: SAI +1.662
8: RIC +1.706
9: OCO +1.906
10: VET +2.036 ooof

Mercedes is just so much faster this year.

Looking forward to watching that second row battle.

It will be interesting to see what the Ferrari low down force package does to their tire wear. Leclerc managed to get through Q2 on medium tires so he will start the race on them but will the low downforce package cause them to wear faster and stop twice for tires. Vettel will start on the softest compound and will almost certainly have to pit twice for tires as will most of the field as only 5 cars ran their fastest lap in Q2 on medium tires.

I hadn't realized that the teams no longer got to choose how many of which compound they get each weekend this season. All teams get the same tire allocation. 2 sets of hard tires, 3 sets of medium tires and 8 sets of soft tires. That's why there isn't much action in practice sessions as nobody wants to waste a set of medium or hard tires to make long runs in practice. In the past teams would have one car have an extra set of hard tires and the other car with an extra set of mediums to collect data for use by both cars.

I also never knew that about the tyres. Lewis is so compact around this circuit. If he gets off the line tomorrow and doesn’t have any mechanical issues. He could romp like last year. As a fan, I am hoping for that. There will be high deg for the Ferrari’s. But let’s see how much more than the rest. I never knew that Portugal was added to the calendar. Was it always there?

I also never knew that about the tyres. Lewis is so compact around this circuit. If he gets off the line tomorrow and doesn’t have any mechanical issues. He could romp like last year. As a fan, I am hoping for that. There will be high deg for the Ferrari’s. But let’s see how much more than the rest. I never knew that Portugal was added to the calendar. Was it always there?

Portugal was added in July along with Nurburgring and Imola.

It's difficult to believe that Perez took the chance to go home to Mexico and screwed up what was a promising season.

Ferrari might regret the low down force package more if it rains. There is only a 10% chance but who knows.

Another boring af Mercedes 1-2 coming up...

Hulkenberg won’t start. Car wouldn’t start up. Unlucky for him.

Hamilton and Bottas just playing with the field going back and forth with fastest lap.
And they aren't even close to go all out either. Grosjean is a cunt, nearly every race everyone complains about his moronic driving.

What Max can do with the Red Bull compared to his team partners is quite remarkable.

Both Mercedes lose the left front tire. Hamilton wins on a flat tire. It wasn't wise for Mercedes not to pit Hamilton after Verstappen pitted. Bottas really lost out as his tire failed just as he passed the pit entrance.

Both Mercedes lose the left front tire. Hamilton wins on a flat tire. It wasn't wise for Mercedes not to pit Hamilton after Verstappen pitted. Bottas really lost out as his tire failed just as he passed the pit entrance.
I can’t see why merc kept him out there. After max pitted, it should have been a no brainer.

Hamilton and Bottas just playing with the field going back and forth with fastest lap.
When they were doing this. I was thinking they should turn down the cars. Not that I knew the tyres would fail.
Wonder if the FIA makes a silly decision on ham crossing the line like he did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back