2020 Motorsports thread.

Everybody except Mercedes is appealing the verdict against Racing Point including Racing Point.

As I expected, Mercedes made two late runs on soft tires in practice 3 and didn't run any of the two harder compound tires. I suspect Mercedes is very confident that they can advance to Q3 using only one set of mediums. Verstappen encountered Stroll on his run and launched into a tirade. Leclerc and Vettel both ran new power units after Vettel's apparent catastrophic failure in the second practice session.

Ferrari and Haas made one run on hard tires and McLaren and Ferrari each made 2 runs on medium tires. Everyone else chose to run on the soft tires.

The teams that have to use the soft tyre to get into Q3 will probably get an early safety car so they can go on the hard. But after last week, let’s see what happens.

Bottas takes the pole from Hamilton with Hulkenberg in third with Verstappen in fourth and he will start on the hard tires. Mercedes starting on mediums and I think Hulkenberg will start on soft tires.

Verstappen will certainly have to change tires twice as he will have to run the medium tires at some point. Maybe he can run 2 sets of hard tires and run softs at the end. Hamilton was certain all teams will have to stop at least twice. Red Bull might be planning to take the lead when the Mercedes have to stop sooner and hope for a safety car to make his stop.

What is going on with Ferrari and Vettel, P12. Horrible. Has he just checked out? He has been consistently slower than Leclerc. Leclerc didn't do that much better at P8 but a Ferrari failing to make Q3
<{1-10}>

What is going on with Ferrari and Vettel, P12. Horrible. Has he just checked out? He has been consistently slower than Leclerc. Leclerc didn't do that much better at P8 but a Ferrari failing to make Q3
<{1-10}>
LeClerc was slightly better last season as well, seems to continue this year which is not a good look for a 4 time champion (though I also think LeClerc is really good). Ferrari produced a horrendous car for this season, serves them right for constantly cheating.

Bottas takes the pole from Hamilton with Hulkenberg in third with Verstappen in fourth and he will start on the hard tires. Mercedes starting on mediums and I think Hulkenberg will start on soft tires.

Verstappen will certainly have to change tires twice as he will have to run the medium tires at some point. Maybe he can run 2 sets of hard tires and run softs at the end. Hamilton was certain all teams will have to stop at least twice. Red Bull might be planning to take the lead when the Mercedes have to stop sooner and hope for a safety car to make his stop.
Great performance by Hülkenberg, happy for him! IIRC he was also the only car within a second compared to Lewis and Bottas.

Bottas leading and the tire situation will make for an interesting race, hope the Safety Car won't be out often.

<{1-10}>
He was on softs also trying to make q3 and couldn’t.

I knew he was done back when he was out driven by Ricciardo at RB. I think Danny was also a rookie.

Damn. Great day for Hulkenberg. Hope he gets podium tomorrow. That would be awesome.

Last edited:
<{1-10}>
At this point tomorrow will look like a success if they don't crash into each other

The Infinity race at was a crash fest at Road America as it started out dry, was halted for lightning then restarted in the rain. Cindric won another race.

Harvick wins again at Michigan. It was a crash filled race which will have many teams working through the night to have a car ready to do it again.

NASCAR is allowing the drivers to choose which lane they start in and it did mix up the field somewhat.

Road America was a fun race agreed.
need a healthy portion of road courses throughout the season.
makes them better drivers IMO and it's a break from circle

Merc tires seems to be in bad shape and Max is chasing them down

Red Bull's start on the hard tire seems to have paid off.

Good race. Max managing those tyres well. Even. Starting on the meds might have been okay for red bull the way he took care.

Vettel is pathetic.

Another unforced error. I can't think of another driver that has had more unforced errors in the turbo hybrids. He didn't have a chance today but I think his unforced errors cost him 3 wins as well.

Great to see Max get the win. Lewis can't be too unhappy getting P2 with fastest lap furthering his point lead.

Last edited:
Way to go Max!!! He drove great and Red Bull did very well with the set up. Their tire wear was nowhere near what both Mercedes cars were seeing. Great win for Max and Red Bull, and even extra points with Alban!

Last edited:
Back