2020 Motorsports thread.

I’ve really never had a problem with the raised fist. To me it’s not about black supremacy, but an empowerment and almost defiance.
I too have no problem with whatever it implies or is symbolic of either. I just prefer not to have someone's political agenda crammed down my throat when all I want to see is quality sporting events.

I too have no problem with whatever it implies or is symbolic of either. I just prefer not to have someone's political agenda crammed down my throat when all I want to see is quality sporting events.
Yeah. I agree. That’s the last thing anyone wants to see in sport.
Religion too for that matter. Don’t thank Jesus or allah after beating up some dude in the cage.

Great finish in Kansas. Harvick was the bad car of the Stewart Haas bunch but some luck got him to the front with a chance to win. A small tap by Truex allowed him to get alongside and a big mistake by Blaney almost crashed the field as he used Harvick to turn the corner allowing Cole Custer to pass on the outside of the 4 wide group.

Kyle Busch had trouble all day after starting in the front and slowly falling back. He is the Sebastian Vettel of NASCAR so far this season.

One of the better finishes I've seen in a while. I was like "not this shit again" when Harvick and his 15th place car was in line to win it at the end. Glad to finally see someone not named Harvick or Hamlin win for once.

I'm hoping Dibenedetto is next in line to steal one.

I had a wtf moment watching Bottas kneel. A Finn driving for the Germans kneeling in Austria to protest police brutally in the U.S.

Mind blown...

They are kneeling to protest world wide racism. The US might be the best at it but it is not exclusive to the US.

The US might be best at many things but not this IMO.
I've heard of soccer matches in EU where fans make monkey noises and throw bananas on the field.
Never seen that happen at an NFL game.

Katherine Legge suffered a broken leg and a sprained wrist in a crash while testing for the European Le Mans series race this weekend. She went off track in the corner at the end of the longest straight. It was originally reported to be a broken wrist. An update says it is a sprain, but her leg will require surgery.

sorry to hear that, I like her.
she's driven many different classes of cars over the years.
I don't think she's especially appreciated by other drivers in the paddock, however.

Mercedes fastest in the first practice in Hungary and Hamilton was the fastest on the hardest tires after starting the session on soft tires. The four Mercedes powered cars were the fastest followed by the Renault of Ricciardo and Vettel and LeClerc in the Ferraris who were faster than the Red Bulls who many thought would be the fastest this weekend. I suspect there are games being played. It was cooler than expected with some mist.

The second session could be interesting.

Rain in the second practice session and several teams, including Mercedes, didn't run. There are a couple of possible reasons.

They might think that it will rain Saturday for practice and qualifying so they preserved their rain tires to use then.

They might think Saturday will be dry but the race might be run in the rain so they want to preserve their rain tires for the race.

They apparently don't think that qualifying has a chance of being rained out and they would line up by their practice 2 times where Vettel had the fast time. Some teams used a set of full wet tires as well as a set of intermediate tires in practice 2.

Pagenaud started last but managed to win at Iowa as cautions fell his way.

The weather guessers say it is likely to rain for practice 3 Saturday but dry off for qualifying. They also say rain is likely for the race on Sunday so we might not see cars running hard if the practice session is wet to save their wet tires for qualifying if needed as well as for the race. With only 3 sets of wet tires for a race weekend, the teams need to manage them closely. Imagine a team only having worn wet tires available if it rains in the race.

No rain in P3 or qualifying as Mercedes locks up the front row with Hamilton and Bottas. The pink Mercedes take the second row with Stroll and Perez. Ferrari take the third row with Vettel and LeClerc which should make an interesting opening lap with Verstappen behind them. Red Bull could only manage 7th with Verstappen who seemed to have an engine problem before his final run in Q3 and Albon was eliminated in Q2.

The top 4 cars will start on the medium tires, greatly reducing any chance of pit strategy to overtake them but possibly making them vulnerable at the start.

Ferrari should write Red Bull a thank you card for taking the attention off them after that awful qualfying result for both Verstappen and Albon.

Some poor tire strategy in Formula 2 today. Many of the cars that started on the soft tires changed to medium tires too early then pushed too hard so the tires wore badly. Shwartzman started in 11th and ran the mediums for 27 laps. When he pitted for softs, he came out in fourth with 10 laps to go and only took 3 laps to get the lead back.

Back