2020 Motorsports thread.

@Rawex celebrating right now.
4ChuiZX.gif

I like the NASCAR races running with no practice and back to back races. The Xfinity series is running at Kansas and the third place car turned sideways in the first turn. The drivers had talked about how dirty the track would be for the first few laps but apparently they forgot.

agreed, I really think they're onto something with this format

They were looking for ways to cut costs to the teams and this seems to do that. They are only at the track on race day so no tires or fuel used in practice, no extra wear on the engines and cars and not as much travel.

Hamilton not doing so well in practice today which might matter as rain is forecast for Saturday so qualifying could be rained out. That would mean that practice 2 times could be used for the starting grid leaving Hamilton in 6th, LeClerc in 9th and Vettel in 16th.

agreed, I really think they're onto something with this format
I like the NASCAR races running with no practice and back to back races. The Xfinity series is running at Kansas and the third place car turned sideways in the first turn. The drivers had talked about how dirty the track would be for the first few laps but apparently they forgot.
I was also enjoying getting away from races strictly on Sundays. A race on a Tuesday or Wednesday night was great. I hope they mix that in with the schedule more in the future.

LeClerc eliminated in Q2. With only 3 sets of full wet tires, it seems that some teams have used all 3 sets so they might be on used tires in Q3 leaving them at a huge disadvantage to teams that have a new set. Now do they start Q3 on a new set or wait until the end when it might rain harder?

F1 has the post qualifying interviews set up by some loud equipment so nobody can hear.

That was master class in the rain. I love wet quali and race.

They do need to do something about the wet tires. They only have 3 sets of each wet tire. If both qualifying and the race are wet, they might need more tires. In a very wet race, 3 sets might not be enough. If they used them in qualifying they wouldn't have enough for the race. They seldom have 2 full wet days in a row and often the conditions change during qualifying or the race so a mix of tires are used but the time might come that it does.

Nice little scrap between Gragson and Burton last night. Been a while since there was a fight like that.

Do not want to fuck with that guy on the JR crew. He looked to be about a foot taller than anyone else around him.

They do need to do something about the wet tires. They only have 3 sets of each wet tire. If both qualifying and the race are wet, they might need more tires. In a very wet race, 3 sets might not be enough. If they used them in qualifying they wouldn't have enough for the race. They seldom have 2 full wet days in a row and often the conditions change during qualifying or the race so a mix of tires are used but the time might come that it does.
Yeah. I can’t understand that. It’s not like a team will opt for wet tyres in a dry race. It is last resort. But a limited amount does favour the more efficient driver.

I never understood all the tire restrictions. Let them race as fast as possible

I never understood all the tire restrictions. Let them race as fast as possible

I understand the thinking on the dry tires. The softest tires go the fastest in qualifying but they want there to be some disadvantage with longevity. The top ten qualifiers have to start on the compound tires that they set their fastest lap on in the second qualifying session while those not in the top ten can start on whatever compound tire they want and have to use two different compounds. The hope was that the top ten teams would start on the softest tire and have to use the hardest tires to finish the race while the other cars could start on the hardest tires, stay out until the fastest cars had changed tires and be running in front of them, slowing their progress before switching to medium tires. The way it has worked out is that the fast cars are fast enough and able to make the softest tires last long enough for the leaders to get enough distance ahead to be able to change tires without dropping too far back.

Back