Elections 2020 Democratic Primary Thread: The Announcements

Status
Not open for further replies.
That makes more sense to me. I'd say at this point in time, I'd pick Biden or Harris to win and Bernie is that outsider that gains very strong support from his voters but not enough of a vast appeal to beat Biden or Harris.

Harris is a super tough opponent for him. Biden would be easier imo. I forget, do your candidate usually announce running mates pre GE?

Harris is a super tough opponent for him. Biden would be easier imo. I forget, do your candidate usually announce running mates pre GE?

They usually announce that once it's clear they secure the nomination on their side. Recently on the GOP side, Ted Cruz announced a running mate right before the California primary as a last ditch effort to beat Trump. Outside of that, it isn't normal to announce a running mate during the primary process, especially when some of the contenders end up being that choice. Castro for example is running completely to try to be the VP choice imo.

They usually announce that once it's clear they secure the nomination on their side. Recently on the GOP side, Ted Cruz announced a running mate right before the California primary as a last ditch effort to beat Trump. Outside of that, it isn't normal to announce a running mate during the primary process, especially when some of the contenders end up being that choice. Castro for example is running completely to try to be the VP choice imo.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions

From what I've read, he could end up on all 50 but some state rules are super confusing on first reading. But funding and filing and petitioning shouldn't be an issue for him

Yea, it isn't simple. Lots of signatures are needed so your campaign team is doing less campaigning and more of just trying to get him on the Ballot.
Nader got on the ballot for 21 states in 1996 and 43 states in 2000
Perot got on all 50 but he didn't win a single state and only finished 2nd in two
You have to factor in we don't do a national popular vote here too. Say Bernie had 20% support but it was spread out disproportionately between states. Even if he had a miracle type split situation that put him on top, that's just one state and whatever electoral votes that comes with it (it's winner takes all for the state). To have that same occurrence happen in multiple state makes the odds even less likely.

The 5 Corners Of The 2020 Democratic Primary
Five Thirty Eight
silver-DEMLANES-PART1.png

Ms. Gillibrand is looking well rounded.
Except for the part where she said she'll serve all her 6 years as a Senator. Another opportunist.

Democratic primary is looking like the Republican Primary in 2016, minus Trump.
Stacked, but without anyone with any clear agenda or charisma, except Bernie, but he's got no shot.

I’M fucking pregaming the Bernie announcement hard right now!!

Big. Dick. Bern. 2020.

BIG.

Tulsi Gabbard campaign in disarray
Politico

Tulsi Gabbard’s presidential campaign hasn’t officially launched yet but it’s already melting down.

Two-and-a-half weeks after the Hawaii Democrat told CNN she had decided to run for the White House—an announcement that even her own staff didn't know was coming, after weeks of debating the timing of the rollout—the 37-year-old congresswoman has struggled to contain the chaos.

Podesta: Clinton says 'she's not running for president'
Politico

Hillary Clinton says she’s not running for president in 2020, her former campaign chairman said late Tuesday, telling CNN that he takes her at her word despite rumblings otherwise.

“She would’ve been a great president, but she said she’s not running for president,” John Podesta said. He said reporting by CNN’s Jeff Zeleny that the former Democratic nominee had told associates she was not closing the door on a 2020 run was “media catnip.”

5 anti-poverty plans from 2020 Democratic presidential contenders, explained
Vox
progressive_proposals_lead_art_1.0.jpg

Presidential campaigns are not usually about poverty. It’s a neglected issue, not least because most voters, even in Democratic primaries, live above the poverty threshold, and so economic policy tends to be discussed in terms of helping the “middle class” or “American families,” not the poorest of the poor.

2020 is shaping up to be a little different. Several Democratic presidential candidates have coalesced on a distinctive approach to fighting poverty — transferring people money — and are including it as part of bigger proposals that help poor and middle-class people alike, ensuring that these ideas have a more prominent spot in the campaign than past anti-poverty plans have had.
how_much_each_plan_cuts_the_poverty_rate.jpg

Specific Thread:
New Jersey Democratic Senator Cory "Spartacus" Booker Launches 2020 Presidential Bid

Cory Booker launches bid for president
Politico

Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.) announced Friday he’s running for president, becoming the second African-American and fourth senator to join the burgeoning Democratic field.

Booker — a Yale Law School graduate and Rhodes scholar who became nationally known as the hands-on mayor of Newark, New Jersey — has made no secret of his White House ambitions. The 49-year-old Democrat has been setting the stage to run for more than a year, courting influential African-American surrogates and hiring campaign personnel in crucial early primary states.

Is Cory Booker for Real?
Politico

NEWARK, N.J. — Senator Cory Booker was educated at Stanford, Oxford and Yale, but he likes to say he got his real education at Brick Towers, the dilapidated and dangerous housing project in inner-city Newark where he spent eight years as a tenant—not by necessity, but by choice. Living in a 16th-floor apartment that often lacked heat, hot water and elevator service, among poor neighbors trapped on the slum side of the American Dream, this celebrated black prodigy from a comfortable white suburb took an extended tutorial in urban adversity. He got a firsthand introduction to the policy issues that drove his agenda as a city councilor, mayor and New Jersey senator, and will now drive his newly announced presidential campaign.
Very interesting read

Last edited:
Harris and Booker jostle for backing of black lawmakers
Politico

A behind-the-scenes scramble has broken out among Democratic White House hopefuls for support from members of the influential Congressional Black Caucus — a sign of the brewing battle for African-American voters.

Two African-American senators, Kamala Harris and Cory Booker, are aggressively courting black lawmakers as they look to build networks in key presidential voting states like South Carolina, Ohio and Michigan. Both showed up at the CBC’s weekly meeting on Wednesday. As Harris worked the room, Booker told at least two members that he would call them afterward, according to sources at the meeting.

Warren expected to announce candidacy on Feb. 9
Politico

Sen. Elizabeth Warren is expected to formally announce her plans to run for president next week in an event that follows her New Year’s Eve exploratory-bid filing.

In a message posted Thursday evening on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter, the Massachusetts Democrat told supporters to expect a major announcement on Feb. 9.

“One month ago today, we launched this presidential exploratory committee to build a grassroots movement to level the playing field for working people,” she wrote. “Since then, we’ve traveled to Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina, Puerto Rico, & heard from thousands of people all across the country. I’ll be making a BIG announcement about my 2020 plans on Saturday, February 9.”

There's room for a moderate Democratic presidential candidate in 2020
CNN

Poll of the week: An ABC News/Washington Post poll finds that 38% of Democrats or independents who leaned towards the party consider themselves liberal, 39% consider themselves moderate and 17% consider themselves conservative.
While other polling suggests that the share of Democrats or independents who lean Democratic who call themselves liberal is greater, all polling suggests that self-identified liberals make up at most only about half of the party's members.
What's the point: The leading Democratic presidential candidates who have either declared or have formed an exploratory committee are among the most liberal in the caucus in recent years. Sens. Cory Booker, Kamala Harris, Kirsten Gillibrand and Elizabeth Warren have all voted with President Donald Trump less than 20% of the time. All of them are in the top 7 for anti-Trump voting records in the Senate.

I couldn't vote for Booker unless he ran an incredible campaign.. even then.

Gotta say the ex-Starbucks guy atleast talks some sense. No idea what all of his positions are and if I agree with them or not but I can atleast stand to hear him speak so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back