Elections 2020 Democratic Primary Thread: The Announcements

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see the value in pretending that a ridiculously unqualified and incapable candidate is acceptable. That would feel condescending to me. I truly and strongly believe that she is on another planet intellectually than Beto.

I strongly suspect that she's being promoted as a candidate specifically to help Trump.

I can't tell if you think Beto is worthless or not (he is).

I'm not going to debate intelligence, so can you explain to me how she is "ridiculously unqualified" relative to Beto or Buttigieg?

Gabbard:
Hawaii House (2002-2003)
US Army Major (2003-2019)
Honolulu City Council (2011-2012)
US House of Reps (2013-2019)

Beto:
El Paso City Council (2005-2011)
Temporary Mayor of El Paso (2005-2006)
US House of Reps (2013-2019)

Buttigieg:
US Navy Lieutenant (2009-2017)
Mayor of South Bend (2012-2019)

You're ignoring education and private-sector experience. Include that, and I think you can see the big difference. Also note that both of those guys are light on experience, while Gabbard is way behind them. We've never elected a president as unaccomplished and inexperienced as Gabbard, and the ones with less experience tend to make up for it by being really impressive in other ways (particularly bright, for example), while Gabbard would also likely be the dumbest president ever elected if she won.

I can't tell if you think Beto is worthless or not (he is).

I'm not a fan, but he's more experienced much smarter and more ethical than Gabbard. He's lower end in the field, she's unacceptable.

Creepy Joe is better.
The attack ads are gonna be hilarious
1556328853570.gif

You're ignoring education and private-sector experience. Include that, and I think you can see the big difference. Also note that both of those guys are light on experience, while Gabbard is way behind them. We've never elected a president as unaccomplished and inexperienced as Gabbard, and the ones with less experience tend to make up for it by being really impressive in other ways (particularly bright, for example), while Gabbard would also likely be the dumbest president ever elected if she won.

Huh, over trump!?

Can you expand on that, sounds ct'ish at first glance but that generally isn't your style

She's running because she's legitimately that dumb and arrogant, but the reason that a lot of right-wingers are backing her is that she's divisive among left-wingers. She's like Stein in that sense.

She's running because she's legitimately that dumb and arrogant, but the reason that a lot of right-wingers are backing her is that she's divisive among left-wingers. She's like Stein in that sense.

I haven't been following closely enough to see people here on the left rank her - but she's polling insignificantly that she won't be a wedge or siphon anything from then likely front runners.

I haven't been following closely enough to see people here on the left rank her - but she's polling insignificantly that she won't be a wedge or siphon anything from then likely front runners.

If 1% of Democratic voters think that her inevitable loss isn't because she's a joke candidate that no one should take seriously but because there's some kind of conspiracy because she's too real for liberals, that could be decisive in the general.

If 1% of Democratic voters think that her inevitable loss isn't because she's a joke candidate that no one should take seriously but because there's some kind of conspiracy because she's too real for liberals, that could be decisive in the general.

That may be possible but I don't see it being anywhere near probable. Huge field should dilute that.

That may be possible but I don't see it being anywhere near probable. Huge field should dilute that.

It should, but that doesn't mean it will. There a are certainly some progressives that can give Trump fans a run for their money.

Fake Mexican,

<TheWire1>

Fake musician.

<seedat>
To add insult to injury that clip is the better of the two "songs" the "band" "played" that day. I couldn't find the other one, which was just pure noise. To be fair, he seems like the only member of the "band" who has any aptitude whatsoever.

I can't see why anyone in those states would vote for Gabbard, but then I can't see why anyone in any state would think she'd be an acceptable president.
That's because you're a nerd who thinks baseball stats are fun.

She's a vet, she has charisma, and I think her message would play well with the blue collar types. If it were her versus Trump I think a lot of his crowd would consider turning from the dark side, we see positive examples of that sentiment here in the WR, plus both moderates and progressives can find something to like about her. Here, this is just the front page of Tulsi related government news (https://gabbard.house.gov/news):
Latest News
Rep. Tulsi Gabbard: Trump’s Iran Sanctions Increase Tensions, Escalating His March to War Against Iran
April 23, 2019 Press Release
Washington, DC—Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (HI-02) issued the following statement in response to an announcement by Secretary of State Pompeo yesterday that the U.S.
Issues:
Protecting Our National Security Interests & Defense
Rep. Tulsi Gabbard: Assange Arrest Sets Dangerous Precedent, Threatens Freedom of the Press
April 11, 2019 Press Release
Washington, DC—Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (HI-02) issued the following statement in response to the arrest of Wikileaks co-founder Julian Assange in London earlier this morning by British police.

Issues:
Privacy & Civil Liberties, Protecting Our National Security Interests & Defense
Rep. Tulsi Gabbard Votes to Reinstate Net Neutrality
April 10, 2019 Press Release
Washington, DC—Today, Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (HI-02) voted to pass H.R.1644, the Save the Internet Act. She is an original cosponsor of the bill.
Issues:
Campaign Finance Reform, Fostering Tech Growth & Innovation
Rep. Tulsi Gabbard Votes to End U.S. Support for Saudi Arabia’s War in Yemen
April 4, 2019 Press Release
Washington, DC—Today, Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (HI-02) voted in support of S.J.Res.7, a resolution calling for the withdrawal of U.S. Armed Forces from hostilities in the Republic of Yemen. The Congresswoman has been a leading voice in Congress calling for an end to U.S.

Issues:
Rep. Tulsi Gabbard Re-introduces the Securing America’s Elections Act
March 28, 2019 Press Release
Washington, DC—Today, Rep.
Issues:
Funding Transportation & Infrastructure, Protecting Our National Security Interests & Defense
Rep. Tulsi Gabbard on Facebook: Nurses are the heart and heartbeat of healthcare in America
March 26, 2019 Press Release

Issues:
Affordable and Accessible Healthcare for All
VIDEO: Rep. Tulsi Gabbard Urges Senate to End U.S. Support for Saudi Arabia’s Genocidal War in Yemen
March 13, 2019 Press Release
Washington, DC—Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (HI-02) today urged the U.S. Senate to pass a historic resolution to end unconstitutional U.S. support for Saudi Arabia’s genocidal war in Yemen. Later today, the U.S. Senate will vote on the historic legislation, and its passage would mark the second time the U.S.

Issues:
Rep. Tulsi Gabbard Introduces Equality Act to Prohibit LGBTQ Discrimination
March 13, 2019 Press Release
Washington, DC—Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (HI-02) joined a bipartisan coalition of 238 colleagues in introducing the Equality Act (H.R. 5).

Issues:
Fighting for Civil Rights & Equality
PHOTOS & VIDEO: Reps. Tulsi Gabbard and Don Young Introduce Landmark Bipartisan Marijuana Reform
March 7, 2019 Press Release
Washington, DC—Reps. Tulsi Gabbard (HI-02) and Don Young (AK-AL) today introduced two bipartisan marijuana bills:

Rep. Tulsi Gabbard Honors Rep. Walter Jones Jr. and His Life of Service
March 5, 2019 Press Release
Washington, DC—Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (HI-02) today honored the life and legacy of Rep. Walter Jones (NC-03), who served 24 years in the U.S. House of Representatives.
Some pretty solid takes and actions, imo. On the other hand, what has Pete done that's curls your toes so much? I'll grant you his education and wit, but what's he stand for?

Tulsi stands for something and I like it. She comes across authentic, and when I watch her interviews I find myself nodding in agreement more often than not. That's enough to put her in the outstanding category next to most politicians, who generally suck the life out of me when they run their lying yappers. I probably won't pull the lever for her in the primaries (then again I just might), mainly because Warren and Sanders have so much more experience and long records to back up their words. But she's a solid candidate by my standards and I hope she makes another run at it in the future.

That's because you're a nerd who thinks baseball stats are fun.

That might be a reason to like someone like Buttigieg, but I don't think it's an obstacle here.

She's a vet, she has charisma, and I think her message would play well with the blue collar types. If it were her versus Trump I think a lot of his crowd would consider turning from the dark side, we see positive examples of that sentiment here in the WR, plus both moderates and progressives can find something to like about her.

Her message is roughly the same as everyone else's, and the other candidates have much more to recommend them besides their message. I think there is zero chance that hardcore right-wingers who say, "if Democrats nominate Gabbard, I'd vote for her" actually would. I think she'd even lose a big chunk of the "True Progressives" who always find a reason to prefer the Republican or to vote third party if she were actually to get the nomination. Her popularity with those types is a result of her unpopularity with most Democratic voters.

Some pretty solid takes and actions, imo. On the other hand, what has Pete done that's curls your toes so much? I'll grant you his education and wit, but what's he stand for?

Well, Warren is my first choice. But I do like Buttigieg, and yeah, his education, personality, intelligence, and background play into it. I think he has broadly liberal goals--rational governance, equal rights, broadly distributed prosperity--and I'm confident that he'd make decent choices to get there. The lack of experience is a legitimate concern, but in comparison to Gabbard, that's not an issue.

Tulsi stands for something and I like it. She comes across authentic, and when I watch her interviews I find myself nodding in agreement more often than not. That's enough to put her in the outstanding category next to most politicians, who generally suck the life out of me when they run their lying yappers.

Fair enough. I personally doubt that she's as honest as the average politician, but how she comes across and how others come across is to a large extent personal. She comes across badly to me, but that's not something we can argue about. With regard to how she'd play in different states, I think that people in general have a really poor ability to predict personal reactions among large groups of people. There's a kind of stereotype about Rust Belt folk, but who knows if the median voter there fits it. The objective record is extraordinarily weak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back