Elections 2020 Democratic Primary Thread: The Announcements

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, doesn't sound objectionable. More info would be necessary if you really wanted to build a case against it. Specifically, what's new in the poll? I admit that I haven't been following quite closely enough to know, but my assumption from that tweet would be that the big change was Buttigieg gaining a lot of ground.

You don't think that implies pretty obviously that Buttigieg is tied for first with Biden? And not 3 points behind Biden and 15 points behind the frontrunner?

My immediate thought when I saw that The Hill is too established a media outlet to publish that title and not realize what they're doing: making viewers think Buttigieg had caught up to Biden as the leading candidate and was therefore all but imminent as a the frontrunner. Made me think of Chomsky's Manufacturing Consent.

You don't think that implies pretty obviously that Buttigieg is tied for first with Biden? And not 3 points behind Biden and 15 points behind the frontrunner?

My immediate thought when I saw that The Hill is too established a media outlet to publish that title and not realize what they're doing: making viewers think Buttigieg had caught up to Biden as the leading candidate and was therefore all but imminent as a the frontrunner. Made me think of Chomsky's Manufacturing Consent.

It's completely misleading. He didn't skyrocket to the top of anything. He's not even close to the top.

Edit: Actually it's just a straight up lie. He's not at the top of that poll.

@Jack V Savage do you think it's at all objectionable to title a tweet/story "Buttigieg skyrockets to top of new poll; is neck and neck with Biden" to describe the following distribution of vote shares: Bernie Sanders 30%, Biden 18%, Buttigieg 15%? (It's from a The Hill article btw).

No, doesn't sound objectionable. More info would be necessary if you really wanted to build a case against it. Specifically, what's new in the poll? I admit that I haven't been following quite closely enough to know, but my assumption from that tweet would be that the big change was Buttigieg gaining a lot of ground.

Looks like The Hill deleted the tweet. It seemed like an obvious misrepresentation to me.

Looks like The Hill deleted the tweet. It seemed like an obvious misrepresentation to me.

No, it's still there. They just changed the wording to something more accurate like "Buttigieg surges in new poll, now tied with Biden."

Watching Biden on The View. I think "Sleepy Joe" is a brilliant nickname. He does seem sleepy.

He didn't do enough preparation on the Anita Hill answer. Gets tongue-tied quite a few times.

@Jack V Savage do you think it's at all objectionable to title a tweet/story "Buttigieg skyrockets to top of new poll; is neck and neck with Biden" to describe the following distribution of vote shares: Bernie Sanders 30%, Biden 18%, Buttigieg 15%? (It's from a The Hill article btw).

That reminds me of what Fox News did to my boy Ron Paul in 2012.

No, it's still there. They just changed the wording to something more accurate like "Buttigieg surges in new poll, now tied with Biden."
Poor Buttigieg. Is there a verb that doesn't sound like a double entendre next to his name?

They truly have learned nothing from 2016. Making your entire campaign about Trump is basically campaigning FOR Trump.
Why? Which blue states can Trump flip this time? You think he holds onto PA, which he absolutely needs in order to win (blue in every election since 2000 (Edit: Since '92) , won by less than 70k votes) against Biden? Or Bernie? I think it's an uphill climb for Trump, and reminding people in that state that apathy got them Trump is a decent strategy.

Why? Which blue states can Trump flip this time? You think he holds onto PA, which he absolutely needs in order to win (blue in every election since 2000, won by less than 70k votes) against Biden? Or Bernie? I think it's an uphill climb for Trump, and reminding people in that state that apathy got them Trump is a decent strategy.

In 2016 the entire election was the Trump show. To have a chance, the Dems have to find a candidate who they can base the show on. Not just put forward another also ran like Hillary was on 2016.

Can you link to the story and tweet?

Looks like they tweet so much and their site is so badly organized that I can't find it.

In 2016 the entire election was the Trump show. To have a chance, the Dems have to find a candidate who they can base the show on. Not just put forward another also ran like Hillary was on 2016.
An inspiring message is best, but it's hard to be less inspiring than Clinton. In my mind it really comes down to whether or not a traditionally blue state has buyer's remorse.

He didn't do enough preparation on the Anita Hill answer. Gets tongue-tied quite a few times.

Biden came off better than he should have because of a failure by the View hosts.

He discusses one anonymous other possible victim of Clarence Thomas, who he claims refused to testify.

The View hosts should have asked him specifically about his actions with regards to why Sukari Hardnett and Angela Wright did not testify.

An inspiring message is best, but it's hard to be less inspiring than Clinton. In my mind it really comes down to whether or not a traditionally blue state has buyer's remorse.

Incumbents always have the advantage. An incumbent with a good economic record is basically a shoe in.

Attacking Trump on shit like Charlottesville hasn't worked for the last three years and the fact Biden thinks that's the way to go just shows how out of touch he is.

I think you vastly overestimate how much white working class voters care about these issues and vastly underestimste how much they care about jobs and the economy.

Poor Buttigieg. Is there a verb that doesn't sound like a double entendre next to his name?

It's just unfortunate that his parents didn't name him Richard. That would have been more appropriate for him.

Can you link to the story and tweet?

Looks like they tweet so much and their site is so badly organized that I can't find it.

Sorry, I'm on mobile. Just search "The hill buttigieg biden" on Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back