2019 Motorsports thread.

There are people pointing out that Red Bull's recent success could be because they have newer power plants with fewer races on them. Perhaps the best way to race isn't to try to limit your team to 3 engines. Take a new engine and all related components at once and the grid penalty sends the car to the rear for one race. Any of the top 6 cars are likely able to get back to at least 6th place.

In a 21 race season, run the first powerplant for races 1 - 5.
Run the second for races 6 - 9.
Run the third for races 10 - 13.
Take a new one for races 14 - 17 and start from the rear in race 14.
Take another new one for races 18 - 21 and start in the rear in race 18.

Teams might opt for different scenarios based on their normal performance at certain tracks. Don't have both cars take the penalties at the same races and there is still a chance to have one of your cars win the race.

Such a strategy would allow the team to have the latest and greatest technology while not having to try to save time and wear on a engine.

Was looking at this morning times and saw Bottas’ times. Said to my buddies, he is driving like he has something to prove. Not too much later, he gets in a crash with Grosjean.
Calm down Valtteri. You have a drive for next season.

Was looking at this morning times and saw Bottas’ times. Said to my buddies, he is driving like he has something to prove. Not too much later, he gets in a crash with Grosjean.
Calm down Valtteri. You have a drive for next season.

Bottas is faster than everyone because Mercedes had to put a new power plant in his car after last week. Many others are running the 6th or 7th race on a power plant so they are taking it easy in practice. Bottas will be taking a penalty for the extra engine and starting at or near the rear. Mercedes might be testing out whether it's worthwhile to take a penalty to gain an extra engine so they can push their engines harder throughout the season. If he can start in the rear and still get a good finish, it could prove that it might be worthwhile. If they can chose a race that normally has a safety car to take the penalty at, it might be easier to get back toward the front.

Ferrari might be going after Hamilton after next season. Would love to see ham in the red car. I will be part of tifosi. If Wolff leaves to take todts job, could see Ham heading to Ferrari. Seb will retire instead of going to merc.

I just started getting into F1 from watching the 2018 season Netflix series.

Seems like a great sport, not really sure who to root for though.
Anyone but Hamilton

not a big fan of Hammy either but you can't deny his brilliance on the track.
off the track?
meh

Eh. Tbh I've never understood the hate he get. Its just annoying seeing him win so damn much. I wish the 2021 season was here so we can see if the changes make a difference.

not a big fan of Hammy either but you can't deny his brilliance on the track.
off the track?
meh
What do you mean? He does his thing. Into fashion and stuff. Setting himself up for the future, stay busy. And merc bosses have said, he always shows up ready for the races, despite his busy off track life. Sounds very professional to me. Seems very level headed.

Ferrari keep shooting themselves in the foot as they don't get Leclerc out in time for a final lap in Q3. Mercedes give Bottas yet another powerplant and he goes second fastest but starts in the rear. Only the top 5 were within a second of Hamilton. Bottas was about 1.5 seconds a lap faster than the rest of the field so he might have a good chance to get into the top 5. Hamilton and Verstappen start in front with a Ferrari second row so the start could be catastrophic.

Good quali session. Leclerc didn’t make his last run in q3, but I don’t think it mattered. Should be an interesting second row. Chuck on meds and seb behind him on the soft. Has collision written all over it!

Good quali session. Leclerc didn’t make his last run in q3, but I don’t think it mattered. Should be an interesting second row. Chuck on meds and seb behind him on the soft. Has collision written all over it!

It could be an interesting start but Red Bull might be able to rein in Verstappen who has an 11 point lead over Leclerc for third place and can't afford a DNF. Second place guarantees he keeps that third place. Leclerc has a 19 point lead over Vettel so he really can't afford a DNF either. Whether any of these drivers can be convinced to act in a controlled manner is questionable.

Hamilton has nothing to lose as his points position is locked in.

Ferrari might be going after Hamilton after next season. Would love to see ham in the red car. I will be part of tifosi. If Wolff leaves to take todts job, could see Ham heading to Ferrari. Seb will retire instead of going to merc.

I don't see Hamilton leaving Mercedes unless Ferrari show a distinct advantage next season. Ferrari looked fast for a time this season until some teams suggested what they could be doing which subjected them to more scrutiny and seemed to decrease that advantage.

Hamilton will hold most of the driving records available to him after next season. I suppose he could move for a large amount of money but would Ferrari offer him that much more than the $50 million per year that Mercedes pays him? His current net worth is listed as $285 million.

What do you mean? He does his thing. Into fashion and stuff. Setting himself up for the future, stay busy. And merc bosses have said, he always shows up ready for the races, despite his busy off track life. Sounds very professional to me. Seems very level headed.
He's a bit of a fop IMO.
pretty sure he raises his pinky when he sips tea.

Interesting drama over Leclerc's reported fuel load being "significantly" different than what the team reported which is a violation that will be investigated after the race. It's expected he will be disqualified but he is driving a Ferrari so who knows? There is a problem with the DRS so the drivers can't use it which is hurting Bottas' chance to advance.

Hamilton leads start to finish and also sets the fastest lap near the end on the used hard tire.

The drs not being active for the first part of the race pretty much ruined the race. Had there been deciding places in the wdc, could have been frustrating to watch. Lucky everything was locked up for the most part.

Are there any significant changes coming in 2020? Im aware of the 2021 stuff but is there anything next season? I cant seem to find anything about it.

Also anyone watch Formula E? Im trying to get into it. Its kinda like watching go karts while suffering a bout of Tinnitus though.....

If not are there any other racing series you recommend watching since F1 is over for the season?

Last edited:
Back