2019 Motorsports thread.

I’ve seen countless crashes over the last 30 years. I watched Dale Earnhardt die. I’ve never seen a crash that looked that bad.

Yeah, I was showing my daughter the replay of the finish in the yahoo story via twitter and they straight shut down the twitter feed when she was watching with me. It's no longer in the story and the link is bad. Of the final laps. I have a bad feeling about this one.
https://sports.yahoo.com/denny-haml...yan-newman-flips-at-the-finish-005141114.html

The twitter link in the story was like a little square window and you could play the final lap. Like a tweet shows up in an article like that. It just disappeared minutes ago. Ugh.

NASCAR would pull the video.

I question anything on Twitter, but I’ve seen more than one that said he was awake. Seems unlikely, but hope its true.

https://www.tmz.com/

They have the clip and the latest will show up here, regardless of what you think of the source.

First the wall, then the oncoming car into the driver door at 200mph. Ugh.

youtube live channels are buzzing, but no official word yet
it took 3-4 hours when Dale Sr. was finally as having passd

He's definitely not OK. I'm hoping he's alive and can have some kind of life in retirement at this point.
Hamlin and Gibbs apologizing for their celebrations. That doesn't sound good.

Live on NBCSN presser right now, 9PM ET.

https://www.tmz.com/

I know, TMZ. They have the clip and the latest will show up here, regardless of what you think of the source.

First the wall, then the oncoming car into the driver door at 200mph. Ugh.

Oh, NBCSN put on a top 10 European hockey players show in lieu of NASCAR America that was supposed to be coming on. Yikes. Filler stuff in lieu of the NASCAR show that is supposed to be on. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see good news coming out the way this is shaking out...

Maybe they're prepping their statement. Calls not to speculate until NASCAR makes a statement. I'll leave that channel on (NBCSN) in case something comes on.

Rumors that rescue personnel were performing CPR as they loaded him. If that's the case, it's very bad. I've seen more than one person claim that but you never know with the internet.
If that is the case, then he is likely dead and was even then. I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Scary crash. I think he will be okay. Seems like the car stayed together.

Scary crash. I think he will be okay. Seems like the car stayed together.
That wall hit was Dale Sr. like, then the hit into the driver door when he was upside down was brutal as well. I hope you're right, but 200mph wall and 200mph t-bone are so much worse than they appear in real time with everyone else going fast, too. That impact.

I didn't know where else to come... I've been away from Sherdog for months but that shook me up. My dad called and said "Hey turn on the Daytona it's been a wild race!" and I turned it on when they were on the back straightaway and saw that. I'm not even a racing fan but this isn't good. The second I saw it in slow mo my stomach dropped.

I was a huge fan in the 90s, and slowly lost interest after Sr died. Haven’t watched a lap of racing in years but turned it on tonight just as they took the green white checkered. I’ve had a lump in my throat since it happened. Just can’t see how this goes well.

I was worried about the fire as some liquid was coming out' I assumed it was fuel but it must have been engine oil as the tank is back there too.

I was worried about the fire as some liquid was coming out' I assumed it was fuel but it must have been engine oil as the tank is back there too.
I saw that, if it wasn't the fuel cell it was the radiator somehow? It wasn't something with a low flash point because there was already fire. I don't know.

Back