2019 Motorsports thread.

That and having the most consistently fast car for the last 5+ years. He's a machine though you're right.

That may be, but a driver would still need to have the skillset to be able to handle the car and get the most out of its performance.

The fastest car does not always equal the fastest driver.

Yeah. I was just thinking of the last time Ham made a mistake. He has definitely matured and realized playing the long game in races pays off, whether it’s managing his tyres, engine, brakes whatever. This usually opens him up to benefit from safety cars and strategy. Guys like Vettel with all that experience are still making mistakes on lap one trying to win it all. Can’t win a lap in the first lap, but you can definitely lose it.

The unfortunate thing with Seb is that despite being a 4 time world champion, he hasn't shown that he can race from behind or when there's parity. In his Red Bull days, he always raced out front because the car was so much better than the others. Apparently that car wasn't built to follow (too turbulent when behind to be able to have confidence going wheel to wheel) so I'll give him a bit of a slide on that one.

But a lot of time, when there's a bit of a challenge or he has to challenge he's been found wanting pushing to hard/far and/or making mistakes

Vettel has become lazy and impatient. He's lost whatever focus he once had.
When his contract with Scuderia is up, he's gone.

The unfortunate thing with Seb is that despite being a 4 time world champion, he hasn't shown that he can race from behind or when there's parity. In his Red Bull days, he always raced out front because the car was so much better than the others. Apparently that car wasn't built to follow (too turbulent when behind to be able to have confidence going wheel to wheel) so I'll give him a bit of a slide on that one.

But a lot of time, when there's a bit of a challenge or he has to challenge he's been found wanting pushing to hard/far and/or making mistakes

2012 Interlagos.

The saga continues in Formula One.
As reported by Autosport, the FIA was approached by at least one team several weeks ago as Ferrari's rivals sought clarification over the legality of practices they thought might be behind the Italian team gaining a power boost in qualifying.

One theory was that a leak from the intercooler, in which Ferrari uses oil unlike its competitors, would allow a small amount of oil vapour to become part of the engine's combustion process.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/147149/fia-asks-for-teams-oil-details-in-latest-engine-twist

The cliff notes would be that an intercooler that is used to cool air before it enters the engine might be used to add fuel by having a slight leak. Ferrari uses oil in it's cooler while everyone else apparently use water or air which would not add any fuel. Since fuel flow is tightly regulated, having a non monitored source of fuel would be an advantage.

This would be similar to the time when Ferraris would put out a big cloud of smoke when they were started in the garage. It was speculated at that time that they were using a precision drilled hole to allow oil from the turbocharger bearing to be sprayed into the intake side of the turbocharger. When the oil was preheated and circulated before starting the engines, some oil would get into the turbocharger and burn on startup.

It is rather strange to use oil rather than water because water can transfer heat better than oil. Air seems to be an even better option because it doesn't add weight to the car and is forced through the heat exchanger at speed rather than using a pump to flow oil or water.

Not much action early in the first qualifying session today as it was raining. As the track dried out near the end of the session, teams went out on slicks. Verstappen slide off with no damage to his Red Bull but Albon slide off and crashed into the tire barrier tearing the right front wheel off and ending the session so nobody got a run on slick tires.

Leclerc has a new engine so he will get a ten place grid penalty. It's supposed to be dry the rest of the weekend so the teams weren't too interested in practicing on the wet and intermediate tires and putting more time on their engines.

The Ferraris were fastest in the second practice session. Bottas blocked both Hamilton and Vettel by running extremely slow in the racing line. Both Mercedes could have been wrecked.
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...-team-mate-bottas.4Uy3mw0RZ3XFWx8irDgiTL.html

Meanwhile the session ended early as both Toro Rosso carss had engine failure. They were using older spec engines to save their latest engines for the race so it wasn't unexpected.

Max on pole. Great lap. Should be interesting tomorrow.

I don't think there is any tire drama as they didn't get much running in and I think everybody in the top ten is starting on the soft tires. Hamilton ran his fastest lap in practice when they cooled his rear tires and brakes with dry ice while using the heaters on the front tires. The Mercedes were running the fastest in the few long runs that teams got in but nobody ran for very long as the first practice was wet and the second was on a green track that made it difficult to simulate race runs. There were also many interruptions from cars running off track.

Verstappen and Vettel side by side in the front row, what could possibly go wrong? I'm sure Vettel won't push hard to pass and if Vettel does get alongside, I'm sure Verstappen will back off to avoid contact. I'm also looking forward to the flying pig show before the race.<Moves>

Love Interlagos. Too many sterile, poorly attendee, featureless grand Prix on the calendar.
This is Mexico but with history, and great track and atmosphere. So nothing like Mexico at all really lol.

Nothing can beat 2008 Lewis first Championship here for me and the disappointment of Ferrari as Lewis passed Timo Glock and crossed the line. Massa never did live that moment down.

Vettel drops a spot at the start as Hamilton overtakes him. Great start by Max.

Love Interlagos. Too many sterile, poorly attendee, featureless grand Prix on the calendar.
This is Mexico but with history, and great track and atmosphere. So nothing like Mexico at all really lol.

Nothing can beat 2008 Lewis first Championship here for me and the disappointment of Ferrari as Lewis passed Timo Glock and crossed the line. Massa never did live that moment down.
yeah that overtake in the last corner was shady af

Vettel and Leclerc take each other out.

Way to go Ferrari! Completely shit the bed!!!! <Lmaoo>

Back