2019 Motorsports thread.

ralphc1

Titanium Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
This is a thread to discuss all forms of racing as there isn't a lot of interest here. Maybe you can interest some in different forms of racing. The Rolex 24 at Daytona is this weekend. There have already been some preliminary races. One of the major drivers, Tom Blomqvist won't be able to race because of a problem with his Visa that won't allow him to enter the US.

Here is the schedule for the weekend at Daytona that starts with qualifying tomorrow.

https://imsa.com/events/2019-rolex-24-daytona

great piece on Zanardi.
truly driven, courageous guy IMO

talk about keeping an upbeat attitude

Almost 90 minutes in to the Daytona 24, great racing at the front of the DPi class.

Glad to see that race control isn't being trigger happy when it comes to yellows, had a couple of cars off track and it stayed green whilst they got themselves sorted.

They are running way too hard and taking too many chances this early in the race. Way too much contact going on.

Looks like Mazda won't finish first. 2 cars within minutes only 6 hours in.

Mazda had fire problems last year too.

The caution rules and wavearounds turn this into a series of short sprints. The cars are extremely reliable these days and it's basically a given that there will be a yellow every few hours to give everyone and the cars a break.

On a scale of A to E, how significant is the Rolex 24 race?

The caution rules and wavearounds turn this into a series of short sprints. The cars are extremely reliable these days and it's basically a given that there will be a yellow every few hours to give everyone and the cars a break.
Does yellow mean pee break?

The Zanardi pitstop footage is incredible. What a legend. So disappointing the technical difficulties they had early that dropped them out of contention.

12hr3min to go and the GTLM leader stops on track to cause another full course yellow. The GTLM class was looking extremely competitive with both Corvettes, both 911s, the Ferrari and the #25 BMW all fighting for the class lead. It was the #3 Corvette that was leading when it appears to have run out of fuel / has a girl lrespres issue.

Halfway and the DPi fight is between the 31, 7, 10 and 6. Fernando Alonso in car #10 was incredible during his stint, Montoya and Rossi in cars 6 and 7 respectively are also both extremely quick. #31 the dark horse but I feel like the #10 is the strongest overall.

Also worth noting that the two Mazda's were extremely quick, with the polesitting #77 leading early and looking like true contenders, but both fell out with mechanical issues before halfway.

LMP2 being led by the 18 with Sebastian Saavedra at the wheel.

GTLM as mentioned has been an extremely close fight as expected, with all but the #66 Ford and #24 BMW running trouble free and in contention.

GTD has seen many leaders, with current front runners being the #33 AMG of Jeroen Bleekemolen and the #63 Ferrari of Toni Villander, with many others snapping at their heels.

Great start to one of the first major races of the year.

Last edited:
A 24 hour race stopped for rain kind of defeats the concept of an endurance race.

These "professional" drivers can't drive when it's wet.

Consider the extreme speed + danger.

I don't think Daytona drains particularly well tbh.
Standing water creates hydroplaning, going off course and crashes.
I don't think they had a choice really.

I don't think Daytona drains particularly well tbh.
Standing water creates hydroplaning, going off course and crashes.
I don't think they had a choice really.

The driver has to adjust speed and driving style to the conditions. The cars need to be designed to operate in less than ideal conditions. None of the saftey vehicles had any trouble riving around to dry the track. Of course the race isn't as competitive in the rain, but it isn't competitive at all with the cars parked.

this a joke, right?
the safety vehicles?

I guess it matters little that the 'race cars' have different tires (not only slicks vs treaded but also much different compound),
different suspension and brakes.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back