2019 Motorsports thread.

this a joke, right?
the safety vehicles?

I guess it matters little that the 'race cars' have different tires (not only slicks vs treaded but also much different compound),
different suspension and brakes.

They can change tires and did so throughout the race. They had rain tires for the race cars and many drivers were able to stay on the track using them. The cars need to be designed to be driveable in all types of weather to have a true 24 hour race. Driving in the rain tests the skill of the driver and the capability of the car.

NASCAR is fucking up ARCA now. NASCAR purchased ARCA with plans to merge the rules but haven't yet. They handed down the stiffest penalties ever to a K&N team after a test of an ARCA car at New Smyrna Speedway.
"What we did was a 100 percent legal ARCA test," Gilliland said on Thursday night on SiriusXM NASCAR Radio. "Currently, as far as 2019 goes, DGR-Crosley does not own a single NASCAR license, not a crew member, owner or driver license. What we do have is an ARCA license, and Ty Gibbs had an ARCA license, and what we did was a 100 percent legal ARCA test. Those are facts. That was our ARCA team there. We're going to run the ARCA race at Daytona and Pensacola with Tanner Gray. We own ARCA engines and we own K&N engines."
ARCA's testing regulations are open, with the exception of the week leading up to a race at any given venue, and allow for any engine package to be tested. NASCAR purchased ARCA last summer and plans to merge the two rulebooks together in a yet-to-be-revealed fashion.

https://autoweek.com/article/nascar...enalty-was-result-100-percent-legal-arca-test

NASCAR is also threatening drivers who comment on the new rules package that provides more down force and less power. It basically makes driving the cars easier and takes the driver's skill out of the equation.

NASCAR's competition VP says drivers critical of new package should 'be careful'
John Probst says contrarian statements could 'hit them in the pocketbook'
https://autoweek.com/article/nascar...rivers-critical-new-package-should-be-careful

NASCAR just keeps shooting itself in the foot and wonders why they're losing fans.

A Porsche managed to win at Bathurst. They were crashing out badly in the early going but managed to get one to the lead in the end.

NASCAR got 2019 started with the Hendrick cars dominating qualifying for the 500. The Clash was interrupted early by rain but it appears to be a no passing year at Daytona. Get out of line and go to the rear.

Jimmy Johnson turns Paul Menard and wrecks most of the field. Only 3 cars not involved in the wreck.

Last edited:
NASCAR Clash shortened due to rain in Florida, and lack of cars left to run. The Winternationals in Pomona had to postpone some racing to Monday because of rain. The 24 hours of Daytona was shortened because of rain 2 weeks ago. The crazy weather is pounding the final nails in racing's coffin.

oh come on.
the sun will shine on motor sports again.

It might be a sign. If all of the Formula One venues drop out. it will die too. Global warming means increased moisture in the air so more rain in many places. The chances of it raining on any given day will increase greatly.

well, there's always snowmobile and speedboat racing I guess.

Snow has been scarce in Wisconsin for the past several years. We got some last week. They opened the trails and 5 snowmobilers died over the weekend.

that's terrible.
a buddy of mine snowmobiles in Tahoe every winter.
miles and miles of trails.
he hates getting stuck though.
sometimes takes hours to dig out.
plus he just found out he has diabetes and he can't really feel his
feet anymore.

that's terrible.
a buddy of mine snowmobiles in Tahoe every winter.
miles and miles of trails.
he hates getting stuck though.
sometimes takes hours to dig out.
plus he just found out he has diabetes and he can't really feel his
feet anymore.

That is the kind of thing I was thinking of in the, "Will you know when to quit" thread I started in the Mayberry.

I was watching a documentary on climbing Everest and there was a climber with artificial feet. At first I thought he lost his feet in some accident and thought he was brave to try the climb. Then they said he lost his feet to frostbite climbing a mountain and I immediately thought he was an idiot.

The twin 125 races showed that the Daytona 500 is likely to be a follow the leader strategy race. Kevin Harvick won the first race with good pit strategy to take the lead early and nobody was able to pass him. Clint Bowyer made a similar stop to get the lead but got caught napping when Joey Logano was able to team up to pass him on the last lap.

Jimmy Johnson spun Kyle Busch early while attempting to pass. At least nobody got wrecked this time.

The truck race last night turned into a Daytona demolition derby. Only 9 of the 32 trucks that started the race were running at the end.

The twin 125 races showed that the Daytona 500 is likely to be a follow the leader strategy race. Kevin Harvick won the first race with good pit strategy to take the lead early and nobody was able to pass him. Clint Bowyer made a similar stop to get the lead but got caught napping when Joey Logano was able to team up to pass him on the last lap.

Jimmy Johnson spun Kyle Busch early while attempting to pass. At least nobody got wrecked this time.

That's exactly how the 500 is going to be and it pisses me off. I fell asleep during the Xfinity race and I didn't miss anything when I woke up.

the great american race, brothers

shrnkcipp8khhyqoge6b.gif

Back