2016 Goals thread.

-Get sankyu (lowest brown belt in judo)
-Actually learn judo ground game instead of being a fucking poster child of the stereotypical judoka image people have here on Sherdog- all stand-up and no ground game.
-Squat 345lb+
-Deadlift 405lb+ (WITH DOUBLE OVERHAND GRIP)
-Bench 200lb+
-Press 135lb+
-Hang-clean 175lb+
-Drop bw to 165-170lb range instead of the 170lb-175lb range it currently is.

I don't know if the deadlift goal is achievable. We'll see.

-Get sankyu (lowest brown belt in judo)
-Actually learn judo ground game instead of being a fucking poster child of the stereotypical judoka image people have here on Sherdog- all stand-up and no ground game.
-Squat 345lb+
-Deadlift 405lb+ (WITH DOUBLE OVERHAND GRIP)
-Bench 200lb+
-Press 135lb+
-Hang-clean 175lb+
-Drop bw to 165-170lb range instead of the 170lb-175lb range it currently is.

I don't know if the deadlift goal is achievable. We'll see.
You can pull that for sure. I pulled 405 for the first time this year at about 185lbs. I don't know anything about your build or your experience, etc. obviously, but that deadlift isn't out of the question. I always pull DOH too, for the record. Always with straps when going after a PR, but always DOH.

Shit ton of injuries/stupid trainging fucked me this year

Get it done or just die goals
-drop from 175 to 150
-225lb powerclean/push press
(Currently sitting @185)
-bw strict press
(140 now)
-squat 4 plates
(Current 315x2)
-3 no gi comps=3 no gi 1st places
(Last time competing 2011)

Extra feeling sassy goals
-2 chin up w/ 90lbs
(2 w/ 60lbs now)
-5 dips w/ 90 lbs
(5 w/ 50)
-sub 20 mins 5000 meters rowing
(Current 32 mins and change )

If you don't compete, what's the point? Strapping and DOH is safer.

Safer? Lol come on...

What the fuck is up with so many people on training forums being pussies? Safer how? Bicep tears? Learn how to use mixed grip properly. What percentage of guys who deadlift with a mixed grip tear their biceps? The dreaded "omg imbalances"? Switch your mixed grip each set. If you can't do that, warm up one way and save your stronger grip for your top sets.

Excuses, excuses, excuses.

Safer? Lol come on...

What the fuck is up with so many people on training forums being pussies? Safer how? Bicep tears? Learn how to use mixed grip properly. What percentage of guys who deadlift with a mixed grip tear their biceps? The dreaded "omg imbalances"? Switch your mixed grip each set. If you can't do that, warm up one way and save your stronger grip for your top sets.

I don't use straps myself and always have used mixed grip, but I can see his point if he's not competing. It'd be similar to not wearing wraps and gloves on the heavybag.

What's the reasoning there?

I just prefer the DOH. When I go mixed grip, I have a hard time keeping both shoulders parallel. Whichever hand is under tends to come forward a bit/lag behind the other side on the pull. Its mostly just a preference thing for me. I never got really comfortable using the mixed grip even though I used it pretty regularly for the first 3-4 years I was lifting whenever I would go heavy. I could probably add a few more lbs to my pull if I really trained it and made it a priority to get comfortable and good at it, but I've been pretty satisfied with the strides I'm making sticking to DOH.

Safer? Lol come on...

Excuse for... what exactly? I do use mix grip because i haven0t come around making a pair of DIY straps. But using straps you don't need to learn anything, you don't have to change shit, your technique wont be altered... and mixed grip has no benefit whatsoever if you don0t compete somewhere where straps are forbidden.

Well using straps has a problem I guess, you can't feel more macho in a forum couse you don't use them.

Work on mobility, flexibility, and conditioning; feel better, live happier.

Safer? Lol come on...

Steve Goggins pulled DOH.

No idea how. Fuckin' guy. And he is back to training seriously.

the only reason to pull DOH is if you are trying to limit the poundage and trying to get some more volume in or working on better grip for your regular grip deads. For a sport in which you dont want as much stress on the lower back (in season)DOH could make sense as well

Steve Goggins pulled DOH.

No idea how. Fuckin' guy. And he is back to training seriously.

I know guys like Goggins, Brad G., and Misha have pulled huge weights using a hook grip, but I'm assuming these guys are not talking about that.

Trying to go about your deadlift career using strictly DOH grip or straps is some weak shit.

It does reduce the risk of biceps tears. Sure, a tear is generally a fuck-up on the part of the lifter, but even with great lifters it does occur. I have never been able to find the picture of Rick Gaugler's biceps tearing. It was taken at either nationals or worlds. Gnarly shit, with the picture taken just as it was shredding.

It does reduce the risk of biceps tears. Sure, a tear is generally a fuck-up on the part of the lifter, but even with great lifters it does occur. I have never been able to find the picture of Rick Gaugler's biceps tearing. It was taken at either nationals or worlds. Gnarly shit, with the picture taken just as it was shredding.

I know it does.

And the videos of distal biceps tendon ruptures are gross lol.

The last good lifter I can think of it happening to is Odell Manuel.

Friend if mine is a deadlift american record holder(740. @220)went for a PR block pull mixed grip next thing you know bye bye bicep

Get jacked.

Bench 405. Shoulder needing repair likely will stop that, again.

I know it does.

And the videos of distal biceps tendon ruptures are gross lol.

The last good lifter I can think of it happening to is Odell Manuel.

Yeah. Really, people interested in getting the most out of their deadlift should use the mixed grip. I pull DOH until I get to 405, then switch. Because of a shoulder and elbow injury, I always suppinate the left hand, and have no issues. No "uneven development" or any other shit.

Friend if mine is a deadlift american record holder(740. @220)went for a PR block pull mixed grip next thing you know bye bye bicep

This is common? Bicep tears w/h mixed grip? I've always used mixed grip because my grip would fail with DOH, I never knew about the tears though.

Back