12oz Boxing Gloves vs. 5oz MMA Gloves

Nice argument KK. I love it how people who don't know shit about boxing try to shit on it by making totally irrelevant arguments like "getting hit with a baseball bat" or the infamous "Would you prefer Mike Tyson hit you with a 16s or 4s?"

Shit I don't think anybody wants to get hit with a baseball bat regardless of how much padding there is on it. That's like me saying, "Would you prefer to get shot with a .40 round or a .45 round?" Oh and these people somehow think boxing matches are fought with 16s.

BTW, referring back to the cut issue, do you think smaller gloves or bareknuckles cause more cuts? I would assume they would but then again, most people assume smaller gloves mean more brain damage. I have no personal experience because I never had any cuts on my face ever. Is there any historical information about cuts during the bareknuckle days?

Bigger gloves help protect the face, better for blocking. I have to agree that the size of the glove is suprising tho.

You can properly cover up with bare hands you just got to learn to. Also, they both take only 20% of force of the punch, but the weight differences still affect the force of the punch, the 5oz. being greater.

Also, the weight difference affects fatigue. In the later rounds the 5oz. should still be thrown harder, in theory.

Just my two cents...

I'm willing to bet that part of the reason you see more people get rocked or knocked out in MMA fights isn't because you hit harder with smaller gloves but because they're harder to block thus tend to land more cleanly than larger size boxing gloves.

Nice argument KK. I love it how people who don't know shit about boxing try to shit on it by making totally irrelevant arguments like "getting hit with a baseball bat" or the infamous "Would you prefer Mike Tyson hit you with a 16s or 4s?"

Tyson punched a guy in a club and hurt the dude, but broke his hand pretty badly, too. Remember the picture from forever ago of him with a cast on?

BTW, referring back to the cut issue, do you think smaller gloves or bareknuckles cause more cuts? I would assume they would but then again, most people assume smaller gloves mean more brain damage. I have no personal experience because I never had any cuts on my face ever. Is there any historical information about cuts during the bareknuckle days?

Tendency to cut has more to do with skin than with gloves.

I'm willing to bet that part of the reason you see more people get rocked or knocked out in MMA fights isn't because you hit harder with smaller gloves but because they're harder to block thus tend to land more cleanly than larger size boxing gloves.

I think it also has a lot to do with the fact that a ton of mma fighters don't have the chins many pro boxers or pro muay thai fighters do. A lot of boxers and muay thai fighter start out when they are relatively young and those with glass jaws are kinda weeded out by the time they reach adulthood, not so in mma. Honestly you still see guys make it to the pro level who have never been hit hard at all, in my opinion that has something to do with the high number of knockouts you see in mma. Besides knockouts in mma are not even directly comparable to knockouts in pure striking competitions due to the eight or ten count and the fact that there is no ground fighting.

No, it's true actually. Larger gloves were invented for hand protection, not head protection.

that is COMPLETE BS

14, 16 oz gloves were designed with enough padding, that the force of the punch would be significantly cushioned to prevent concussions and other such damage during PRACTICE
which is why every professional boxing gym around the world uses these gloves along with headgear
otherwise every boxer would be brain dead and too damaged to even compete

there are numerous other alternatives that boxers use to protect the hands

Again, not true. This isn't even panning out in clinical studies, which is one of the reasons the NSAC recently decided against implementing bigger glove sizes for lower weight classes. There's no medical evidence that suggests it's any safer, in fact, there's plenty of medical evidence that suggests that because of taking excess damage to the head on account of less hand injury is more harmful, not safer.

no one is debating the differences between 6, 8, 10 oz gloves
there is very little difference between them

but there's a huge difference in padding and structure between a 16oz glove and an 8oz

14, 16 oz gloves were designed with enough padding, that the force of the punch would be significantly cushioned to prevent concussions and other such damage during PRACTICE
which is why every professional boxing gym around the world uses these gloves along with headgear
otherwise every boxer would be brain dead and too damaged to even compete

there are numerous other alternatives that boxers use to protect the hands

No. Everything in Boxing sparring is more about protecting hands and protecting against cuts (headgear + bigger gloves) than anything else.

As stated earlier in this thread, there are many many PROFESSIONAL Fighters whose brains were damaged from too much head trauma in the Gym, where there is this alleged higher level of protection, than in the Professional ranks where the gloves are smaller and there is no headgear.

That larger gloves protect further against concussive head trauma is something of a myth, or at least is not corroborated by a plethora of medical evidence to suggest it's fact. Certainly, it's not THE reason bigger gloves are a standard per se. Especially considering that often times in sparring smaller Fighters are sparrting bigger Fighters, using the same size gloves. Take a 135lb guy and have him spar a 160lb guy, both wearing 16's, can you honestly say the smaller guy is more protected?

There's too many variables to determine that. As of right now it's at best a suspected theory.

And in Professional Boxing, larger gloves are known to not guarantee any more safety. If they were, Heavyweights would certainly be wearing 16oz gloves as opposed to 10's.

P.S. - Not every 16oz glove is designed the same. There are styles of them that have compacted padding as opposed to puffy padding.

I agree with KK, gloves won't necessarily prevent concussions. They protect your hands.

Headgear won't protect you from getting KO'd..they are used to prevent cuts/bruises/ear damage.

I mean, it fits with basic logic that bigger gloves = more protection. But it just doesn't realistically pan-out that way. There's a lot of reasons why. Everything from the ability to go too many rounds too many days in a row from assuming more protection, to working on things that a Boxer's not normally very good at and taking more hits to do so.

I mean, it fits with basic logic that bigger gloves = more protection. But it just doesn't realistically pan-out that way. There's a lot of reasons why. Everything from the ability to go too many rounds too many days in a row from assuming more protection, to working on things that a Boxer's not normally very good at and taking more hits to do so.

That's a great thought right there

I would have thought otherwise myself until I witnessed these things for myself. I know a guy who used to have the same trainer as me who fits. When he came to Vegas he was 23-0 I think. Now he has dementia beginning to set in and has lost a couple fights. He got all used up in the Gym, not in his fights.

You also have to take into consideration though, that 16oz of padding also adds 16oz of weight behind a punch. That being said, prefer getting punched with 16oz than 4-5oz mma, just because there is more area.

Actually I would rather not be punched at all, but such is life.

Whats a fight if you don't walk away with a few scars?

Yea, I think that with a boxing glove you are getting hit with a larger surface area so it's not as damaging as with a clean shot from an mma glove. I mean it's the same force but it's over a larger like how laying on one nail will go through you but laying on a bed of nails will do almost no damage. It's the same weight (force) but the surface area determines the damage. I might be wrong but that's just what I would think.

It's just not really that simple. A nail is a stationary object with a characteristic, it's sharpness. Weight distribution cancels out that sharpness. However, one thing that happens psychologically when you're wearing bigger gloves and realize it, you're willing to swing harder and often need to swing harder to get said impact. With the smaller glove if you know you risk hand damage (as any Fighter SHOULD know), you have to be more careful. Floyd Mayweather is a perfect example of this, in the Gym wearing bigger gloves, he's a beast. He's know for kicking the crap out of bigger guys on a routine basis and having to hire very reputably durable guys like Lovemore N'Dou and Carlos Baldomir to take his punches in sparring.

In the ring, he's broken his hand at least twice, one against a smaller guy and once against Baldomir himself.

That's just one other side-factor in the equation. It's not as simple as one nice neat math problem.

My limited work sparring with boxing training gloves (~300x2rds) and mma training gloves (~50x5) leaves me with the opinion that getting punched is generally not much fun, and that mma gloves will mark up your face.

i doubt it would feel the same. if the same person used different gloves, the force would remain the same, but the lbs per square inch would differ.

ergo, it's gonna feel different.

Force might not remain the same, incase you missed that. There's very good reasons to change the force, or why force would be changed instinctively.

Ergo, no neat little equation for this problem.

Most people have known for some time that glove size makes very little difference. Glove sizes were increased to protect hands, and do very little to protect heads.

Very true. The gloves are designed to protect the hads other then the face. However the padding on boxing gloves protect fighters from cuts better then mma gloves. You dont see boxers get cut until later in their career after they develop scar tissue. While mma fighters get cut all the time because those gloves say cut all over them with those edges.

Back