12oz Boxing Gloves vs. 5oz MMA Gloves

boxing is a dangerous sport, lots of punches to the face = bad damage.

I don't understand why this is good?

mma fighting is more realistic and entertaining anyways and somewhat considerably safer.

I think when they say the force is the same, they are talking about the pressure the punch causes.

A 5oz glove will hurt more because of contact pressure, since there's less cushioning. So even tho the forces are the same, MMA gloves will hurt you more, and cut you more. But the pressure felt by your neck jerking back should be the same.

My point is that, using MMA gloves will hurt your skin more, but the distance the punch pushes your head back should be the same.

I think when they say the force is the same, they are talking about the pressure the punch causes.

(...)

My point is that, using MMA gloves will hurt your skin more, but the distance the punch pushes your head back should be the same.

These at least are correct.

One thing that some people here seem to forget is that the heavier glove will slow down the hand some too (unless you punch like a discus thrower).

Overall I refuse to believe that we might at well spar with 8oz gloves as 16s, but I have no research to point to. I can absolutely believe that a hard packed 16 oz glove with most of the padding placed away from the knuckles will be about as damaging than a 8-12oz glove with a similar design, but what about gloves that aim to protect?

Sinister, will you really argue that a punch from a 16oz Winning glove does roughly the same amount of damage as one from the 8oz version? Those are AFAIK gloves designed for shock absorption, not only to protect the bearers hands, but also his opponent, and you'd think 16 oz. of shock absorbing material placed mostly around the knuckles would cushion the blow better than 8oz. I'm aware that this doesn't take people's mentality into account, but I find that irrelevant to the principal discussion here.

That point would only be relevant in a gym context though and more or less irrelevant in a competition context as most of those gloves are designed to not cushion the blow.

English is my second language, so bear with me if my point is less than clear....

I was watching a show last night where scientist measured a punch by a professional heavy weight boxer using 12oz gloves. He measured 1300 lbs of force. They also measured Rampage Jackson's punch using 5oz MMA gloves and he measured 1900 lbs of force. But here's the part that i thought was amazing...the size of the gloves didn't matter at all. They found out that 12oz or 5oz both decreased the force by 20%. The size didn't matter at all.

Rampage Jackson went on to say that "MMA is the safest full contact sport, because he's only taken 100 of those kinds of shots to the head in his whole MMA career. But boxers have to take 100 shots in one round."

The difference between the 12oz, and the 5oz glove, is not the amount of force exchanged alone. It is the surface area in which the force impacts, and the force that is dispersed, on impact, on a given surface area i.e. kinetic energy. 'basic physics' :D

I've been waiting TWO YEARS for this question to be answered!!!

It's just not really that simple. A nail is a stationary object with a characteristic, it's sharpness. Weight distribution cancels out that sharpness. However, one thing that happens psychologically when you're wearing bigger gloves and realize it, you're willing to swing harder and often need to swing harder to get said impact. With the smaller glove if you know you risk hand damage (as any Fighter SHOULD know), you have to be more careful. Floyd Mayweather is a perfect example of this, in the Gym wearing bigger gloves, he's a beast. He's know for kicking the crap out of bigger guys on a routine basis and having to hire very reputably durable guys like Lovemore N'Dou and Carlos Baldomir to take his punches in sparring.

In the ring, he's broken his hand at least twice, one against a smaller guy and once against Baldomir himself.

That's just one other side-factor in the equation. It's not as simple as one nice neat math problem.

This is an interesting point. Not to go off topic, but it applies in lots of other areas as well, where efforts at increasing safety fail due to unintended consequences. This is often true institutionally, when an authority decides to improve safety in a top down manner by creating well intended rules (or at least, rules to deflect potential liability) that have no effect or negative effect. Or it can happen in a personal level when someone tries too hard to be safe and ends up creating more danger.

all of you saying that 16-12 oz gloves give a similiar punch to 5 oz....you ALL would chose to be hit by a mike tyson w/ 16 oz then 5 oz.

i have sparred with people using 12 and 16 oz gloves, 16 oz is a MUCH softer and easier hit. i can only imagine what a solid hook to the face with a 5 oz glove feels like...and for a physical explanation for this is that force is maximized when there is small surface area and less absorbtion from the foam.

I would agree with this.

Gloves are there to protect the hand, yes, but if that was ALL they did, noone would bother with large 16 oz training gloves.

Back