12oz Boxing Gloves vs. 5oz MMA Gloves

Chinaboxer

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I was watching a show last night where scientist measured a punch by a professional heavy weight boxer using 12oz gloves. He measured 1300 lbs of force. They also measured Rampage Jackson's punch using 5oz MMA gloves and he measured 1900 lbs of force. But here's the part that i thought was amazing...the size of the gloves didn't matter at all. They found out that 12oz or 5oz both decreased the force by 20%. The size didn't matter at all.

Rampage Jackson went on to say that "MMA is the safest full contact sport, because he's only taken 100 of those kinds of shots to the head in his whole MMA career. But boxers have to take 100 shots in one round."

Most people have known for some time that glove size makes very little difference. Glove sizes were increased to protect hands, and do very little to protect heads.

that fact really surprised me. I guess it's more psychological, when you get in a ring or cage with someone with MMA gloves vs 12oz gloves. I seem to be way more cautious when they have MMA gloves on. I guess i can let that thought go from now on.

that fact really surprised me. I guess it's more psychological, when you get in a ring or cage with someone with MMA gloves vs 12oz gloves. I seem to be way more cautious when they have MMA gloves on. I guess i can let that thought go from now on.

Well, probably not, because MMA gloves still cut way more than boxing gloves.

UH, even if the force measured by each puncher is the same, it's hard to perry with 5 oz. gloves, you can't properly cover up with 5 oz. gloves and I'm still fairly game that even with the power not really being compromised, the xtra cushioning of a boxing glove allows one to eat more shots.

So is your argument that it's easier to block with Boxing gloves or that there's no need to because you can eat more shots? Seems like you're contending both. One of them is pretty true, the other one isn't.

i wonder why the force was the same.

i wonder why the force was the same.

Its pretty obvious. More padding doesn't really cushion the force. The padding on boxing gloves is used to protect the hand, not the head.

UH, even if the force measured by each puncher is the same, it's hard to perry with 5 oz. gloves, you can't properly cover up with 5 oz. gloves and I'm still fairly game that even with the power not really being compromised, the xtra cushioning of a boxing glove allows one to eat more shots.

Wait, what? The extra cushioning lets you eat more shots because the force is the same? That doesn't make any sense. Sounds like you're butthurt because this "new" information somehow makes your beloved MMA seem less tough.
By the way, it's "parry."

I thought there would be something about this here.

Rampage punched pretty hard, but he was did it from a distance and had some momentum behind it. The boxer's punch was from a stationary. Similar to just regularly working the heavy bag.

I'd guess the boxer could have rung it even harder if he had started with some momentum.

Its pretty obvious. More padding doesn't really cushion the force. The padding on boxing gloves is used to protect the hand, not the head.
it's not obvious at all. both gloves decreased force by 20%, despite differences in cushioning and mass.

They should have had the same guy hit with both types of gloves. In any case, not suprised by that. You can feel the knuckles through 8-12 oz boxing gloves, so not really surprising that the impact would be the same.

You feel a good hard shot with 16 oz gloves...

all of you saying that 16-12 oz gloves give a similiar punch to 5 oz....you ALL would chose to be hit by a mike tyson w/ 16 oz then 5 oz.

i have sparred with people using 12 and 16 oz gloves, 16 oz is a MUCH softer and easier hit. i can only imagine what a solid hook to the face with a 5 oz glove feels like...and for a physical explanation for this is that force is maximized when there is small surface area and less absorbtion from the foam.

You act as if you've never been punched with a bare fist in your life. It's not THAT bad, even by someone who knows how to punch. They're just as likely to break their hand as break part of your face.

fightgreen2.jpg

well i have been punched in the face in a street fight...but i feel that the adreniline in that situation makes it almost impossible to tell...i usually have no idea the damage done to myself until 15 min after i have calmed down.

and i hate when i spar when people come in the damn 12 oz gloves will i use 16.

Neither does the opponent have an idea the damage done to their fist until the next day.

I don't notice much difference between 12's and 16'z, but I do notice a difference when a guy has on Reyes gloves.

Lol. Every single fucking time the argument of glove size comes up, people bring up Tyson. Shit, no. I do not want to get hit by Tyson regardless of if he's wearing 5 oz, 12 oz, or 16 oz. I don't care if you have him strap seat cushions to his fists, I don't even want him to graze me.

Only real thing that I have ever noticed is that I have to be more aware of exactly what I am covering when wearing 5oz since they don't have quite the surface area of the larger gloves. Getting punched by the lighter gloves just feels a little different one feels like a concussive shot the other is more of a blunt force thing. Truthfully I like the feel of getting punched with the lighter gloves, but in Muay Thai we don't use them so I only really use them when I'm sparring with the MMA guys at our gym. Force wise obviously they both suck and I would recommend you avoid it when possible =).

Back