Wonderboy wants oblique kicks banned - blames them for MCL Tear

Yeah. Youre a pussy if you want this banned.

This is a blood sport. Do not pretend otherwise.

You can legally gary goodridge someone from the crucifix.

In MMA you can legally slap a twister on someone fast enough that if they do not tap in time they could be paralyzed.
whitebelt post at its finest. Lets bring back kick to the nuts too, Delete your account

Tough call. They are nasty but it's hard to be consistent with which strikes we ban.
This thread is a perfect example of how ignorant most MMA fans are to the dangers of head trauma.
So true.

I think it's almost subconscious. Since we feel that head strikes is such an essential part of MMA that they can never be banned, we take them for granted and underestimate their effect. Instead we might over estimate the effects of other types of strikes which feel "newer" and "less essential to the sport"

In a perfect world. But professional prize fighting is far messier than what you’re pretending. This isn’t jiu jitsu class. Heel hooks have shredded plenty of knees in mma.
Rarely! Thats the thing. Freak accidents happen but this isn't an accident. The kick's only purpose is to CRIPPLE your opponent.

Oblique kicks frequently hospitalize fighters. Leg locks rarely hospitalize fighters

Ban dunderboy and karate and retreating fight plans

I would prefer they be banned. They usually don't appear to have as much of an immediate effect as Thai kicks, but they do appear to have a much longer recovery time.

i'd rather have all my brain cells and a jacked knee than walking around like a 70 alzheimer's patient when i'm in my 40's shitting in a diaper with 2 good knees.
If you can't make a living, you're unlikely to make it to 70 anyways

once the brain shuts off are you capable of feeling pain? how many people who were ko'd by Cro Cop required surgery afterwards and months of rehab?

You seem to be moving the goal posts here. You said definitively that head kicks are not meant to damage the brain. I told you that, by nature, any kick (or strike for that matter) that is meant to KO is meant to damage the brain. How the damage is treated doesn’t change the fact that the damage took place.

Do you really believe KOs don’t damage the brain?

It’s almost as if cage fighting with another human could be bad for your health

then bring back head butts. serious. please dont water down mma like boxing. allow everything but biting and eye gouging. everything

You seem to be moving the goal posts here. You said definitively that head kicks are not meant to damage the brain. I told you that, by nature, any kick (or strike for that matter) that is meant to KO is meant to damage the brain. How the damage is treated doesn’t change the fact that the damage took place.

Do you really believe KOs don’t damage the brain?
I never said they dont damage the brain, Im saying the intention of a headkick is not to injure your opponent to the point he requires surgery and rehab. An oblique kicks only goal is to hyperextend the knee, which almost always requires some form of surgery or rehab if properly landed

I’m ok with this as long as we ban certain submissions since they can break bones, and we have to ban punches to the head because of CTE

a knockout is pain free and requires zero rehab or surgery

It's not that a knockout doesn't require rehab or surgery -- it's just that medical science isn't advanced enough to repair the brain damage. You could have said the same thing about knee kicks and ripped MCLs 400 years ago.

then bring back head butts. serious. please dont water down mma like boxing. allow everything but biting and eye gouging. everything
they are only banned because fights would be stopped due to cuts all the time if they were legal

ask any fighter what they rather have ,an oblique kick to the knee or being knocked out ? At least they can fighter another 3 months, the knee will never be the same , surgery is a bitch

Your hypothetical is silly. You don’t have the data to back it up. And you don’t actually speak for all mma fighters.

Some fighters are never the same after a particularly bad KO. Surgery can follow a shot to the head as well.

once the brain shuts off are you capable of feeling pain? how many people who were ko'd by Cro Cop required surgery afterwards and months of rehab?

Everyone that Cro Cop ever headkicked should have had months of rehab. They just didn't do it. Their brains are permanently damaged.

Back