Wonderboy wants oblique kicks banned - blames them for MCL Tear

Ghost in the Dark

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2018/6/...stephen-thompson-mcl-injury-darren-till-fight

648115504.jpg.0.jpg

You know I tore my MCL in the fight with Till. We did an MRI and thankfully nothing else was damaged. No surgery is required for this injury but I have to give it at least eight weeks to heal properly before I can get back to training.

I honestly think that strike should be made illegal. It could end somebody’s career. You know Robert Whittaker had to have ACL surgery following his first fight with Yoel Romero due to that particular strike. And as you could see, Robert Whittaker made sure to beat Yoel Romero to the punch in their second fight. He threw a lot more than he did this time around. It is just a very dangerous technique. I think a lot of fighters throw that strike but sometimes it is for different reasons.

When I fought Jorge Masvidal he used that same side kick to the knee. But when Jorge threw it, he was doing so just to keep me away. Not in an attempt to injure my knee. But when I was in the cage fighting Till it felt like ok this guy is trying to break my leg. It was like he had intentions of ripping everything out in my knee. That’s how I felt anyway. Like this dude is really trying to injure me in here. I think it an ugly strike and that it should be made illegal.

ThompsonMandelSherdog.jpg

probably won't happen. I can see his point but wouldnt it be better just to learn to defend it?

I agree with him. Those kicks can fuck up someone's career.

Rampage is going to kill Jon Jones... His words. Dude can't even practice wrestling anymore... but not sure if he even trains anymore...

I don't like them either, unless Jones is doing them on Cormier

tenor.gif

Timed jabs can fracture your orbital
Knees can fracture your skull
It’s a fight man, there are a lot of strikes that can end a career, eez normal.

If it's legal Wonderboy should start using them. I think with his background he'd be better at using them in MMA than anyone else.

I agree, its a dick move

Honestly I agree, fuck those kicks.

It's fighting

We need to allow more techniques
Not ban more

Wonderboy doesnt like them because the are dangerous against people who like to dart and sprint inside, like him.
That's why it worked so well against Whittaker, and yoel didn't have a problem because more balanced stationary fighter will simply shift weight as the kick is thrown.

Timed jabs can fracture your orbital
Knees can fracture your skull
It’s a fight man, there are a lot of strikes that can end a career, eez normal.

How often do knees fracture your skull. Now think about how often oblique kicks do permanent damage to the person's knee ligaments etc.?

Is there a difference?

At this point it's a case of if the person throws oblique kicks and wants to do some nasty damage with them, they will and probably will succeed.

People have died and gone blind from boxing so should we ban punches too? According to you numbers don't matter at all right? It's all about if the move has the potential to do something.

How often do knees fracture your skull. Now think about how often oblique kicks do permanent damage to the person's knee ligaments etc.?

Is there a difference?

At this point it's a case of if the person throws oblique kicks and wants to do some nasty damage with them, they will and probably will succeed.

People have died and gone blind from boxing so should we ban punches too? According to you numbers don't matter at all right? It's all about if the move has the potential to do something.

Dawg I read this message a couple of times but you lost me with that last paragraph.

#FreeJones
#LakersIn2019

I really don't think MMA would miss them if they're gone. It's a dirty move.

If you like dirty moves and wanna bring up that weak, tired "why don't we ban punches, too?"
Why don't we unban groin strikes and headbutts? Those are strikes.

There is something kinda vicious about them. I stomped a guys knee in during my last fight and i felt very squeamish about it. Felt dirty

Back