Why do people in North American drink light beer?

That American lite beer tastes like shit, the regular stuff is better but still not as good as our stuff. Drink VB or GTFO. (I"m having one right now actually)

Gonna have to pass on VB but here's a review I ran across...

1.23/5 rDev -49%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

I spent 4 years of my life living in Australia, and was always surprised at why people liked this so much. This makes even Carlton draught seem nice..! At least Carlton Draught has some hoppiness!

However I was forced to drink this often, as a result of Aussies who regularly insisted on buying me a drink because of my "accent" and how drunk they always were! Haha...

This has a dryness and heaviness that makes it difficult to drink fast, and an overall flavor that is not really a flavor. It tastes like it has been pasteurised at 9000 centigrade for a year.

Beer in Australia is really expensive, Carlton and United must be making more money than Vegemite..

Had another recently in Bar Oz in Paris. Even compared with Euro lagers like Heineken and Carlsberg, this is even worse. Probably the worst beer I have had, it is really quite amazing how many Aussie hillbillies love the stuff.

Yet it does bring back some good memories of watching crab racing in Sydney while backpacking...

It has come to my knowledge that light beer is very popular in the US(more popular than regular beer).

This seems really weird as in Australia we seldom drink light beer. The only time it would be acceptable is if you are driving.

In conclusion: Full strength or GTFO

(MMA thread of the year, I know)

EDIT: Light beer has different meanings in Australia and the US.

In Australia Light beer = low alcohol content

In US light beer = low carb/less calorie(slightly less alcohol content)

the-more-you-know.jpg

/Thread

It's worth noting that while America may be the home of light beer, we're also the innovators of monstrous decoctions like this...

darklord08.jpg

In my fridge you can currently find a 9.5% double IPA right next to a miller lite. They serve different purposes. I personally think light beer is tied to another another distinctly American product - the 64oz Double Gulp fountain drink. Americans love guzzling ice cold drinks. Light beer is ideally suited to that purpose.

Because think of all the calories that you save while drinking it and scarfing down chicken wings, cheeseburgers,pizza and chips.

It's like the person that goes to a fast food place and gets a super sized order of fries with a double cheeseburger but makes sure to get that Diet Coke.

It's worth noting that while America may be the home of light beer, we're also the innovators of monstrous decoctions like this...

darklord08.jpg

In my fridge you can currently find a 9.5% double IPA right next to a miller lite. They serve different purposes. I personally think light beer is tied to another another distinctly American product - the 64oz Double Gulp fountain drink. Americans love guzzling ice cold drinks. Light beer is ideally suited to that purpose.

Wife went to Indiana a couple of years ago and I put that and Zombie Dust on her To Do list while there. Regrettably no luck in finding either. Store she went to made a couple of suggestions for 3 Floyds and they were both pretty good. Still wish I could have had one or both of those two.

Because think of all the calories that you save while drinking it and scarfing down chicken wings, cheeseburgers,pizza and chips.

It's like the person that goes to a fast food place and gets a super sized order of fries with a double cheeseburger but makes sure to get that Diet Coke.
But there has to be some kind of cut off for eating bad food. Many thinknyoir way too though. Bartender used to fuck with me when i would order Myers and diet coke lol.

But there has to be some kind of cut off for eating bad food. Many thinknyoir way too though. Bartender used to fuck with me when i would order Myers and diet coke lol.

lol I agree. I was just being a smartass. If you're having a "eat like shit day" may as well go all out. I think most people drink light beer because it's less filling and good if you're gonna be drinking all day tbh.

I happen to like Rum and Diet. Nothing wrong with liking what you like bruh. If you like it, drink it.

Liberal hipsters make the most heavyweight beer. It's conservatives that love the bud light.
whats funny is that when hipsterism first became a mainstream pseudocounterculture, the stereotype and oftentimes reality was that they drank PBR. The actual origins of the hipster movement came from starving artists in Brooklyn who legit wore thrift store clothes and sunglasses, rode shitty bicycles you could buy for 20 bucks, drank really cheap swill, etc.

Then the appropriated bastardization came circa 2007 when the scenesters who had formerly been emo’s morohed into modern hipsters and ironically wore shitty clothes, drank PBR, etc.

It’s funny how they continue to morph. While mainstream society continues to carry the torch on a few bits of the hipster ethos, most of the more hard line hipsters have kind of moved back toward gutter punk types and it seems like almost 100% of them either work at some vaguely ethnic restaurant or a local brewpub.

I used to live in seattle. There are more than a few people there.

I enjoy visiting Seattle but the lack of sunshine sucks. Also too many cappuccino drinking hipsters live there.

I enjoy visiting Seattle but the lack of sunshine sucks. Also too many cappuccino drinking hipsters live there.

Yeah Seattle is pretty overrated, other than the music scene. That's pretty legit, but Seattle itself is a wasteland of hipsters and homeless guys. If you're chilling in the city at sunset, you can see them suddenly emerge from the shadows like fucking vampires. Shitty area to be homeless, but we have a pretty big homeless problem anyway.

Finding Fosters in an Aussie bottle shop is actually a note worthy event. Maybe 2% of shops stock it, if that.

I drink 150 lashes from James Squire. Its a very popular pale ale.

I remember that beer when I was in Australia. Quite good.... though your alcohol and tobacco is way too expensive down under.

Hipsters don't drink cappuccino, maciato (sp) or some shit you probably haven't heard of yet.

Wife went to Indiana a couple of years ago and I put that and Zombie Dust on her To Do list while there. Regrettably no luck in finding either. Store she went to made a couple of suggestions for 3 Floyds and they were both pretty good. Still wish I could have had one or both of those two.

Yeah, I think they only sell Dark Lord on site at the brewery in limited edition. They have about 10,000 come on that one weekend.

Tastes like piss, but you can pound 15 of them for a pregame and still go out.

Lol @ only liberals drink light beer. apparently you shlubs have never been to Texas. Conservatives drink Shiner and Bud Light. Hipsters drink IPAs, which are basically piss water with hops mixed in.

Yeah Seattle is pretty overrated, other than the music scene. That's pretty legit, but Seattle itself is a wasteland of hipsters and homeless guys. If you're chilling in the city at sunset, you can see them suddenly emerge from the shadows like fucking vampires. Shitty area to be homeless, but we have a pretty big homeless problem anyway.
Homeless pandhandlers are so damn plentiful there. When i lived in LQA near Key arena, you could not walk 20 feet without panhandlers asking for money. They used to be mainly around SODO/industrial district, near and under the I5 and I90. Now they are everywhere.

Back