Why are people so hung up on Conor defending his belt?

A lot of Conor's fans want to see him fight Khabib or Tony instead of Floyd or Nate. Those are fun fights whether there's a title defense on the line or not, at least for me.

Purists want belts defended, #1 vs #2. They hate when someone cuts the line and is cocky while doing it. Not a bad stance. Not a realistic one either, but a understandable one.

Then you have his legion of haters with their emotion.

People have been butthurt about Conor since day 1. They will never not be butt hurt.

It's all they have left to say. He shows up, has never missed weight, finishes fights, finished Aldo, Mendes, Alvarez, Poirier etc...

It's all they have left to say. He shows up, has never missed weight, finishes fights, finished Aldo, Mendes, Alvarez, Poirier etc...

Pretty much this, he earned his fw title shot, always been a professional in terms of making weight, etc. Tried to fight the hardest fight for him at LW(rda), takes fights he doesn't need to etc. Honestly, I can't like him just from his pre fight antics because its too corny and over the top, but I will always blast his haters because they are some of the most annoying people on this site.

In combat sports champions defend their belts, its how it works.

Lets take emotion and sport purity out of it. This is an entertainment business, the UFC does not treat this like the NFL, NBA etc. where you win and your progress in your bracket, if you are the best at your position(weight division for UFC) you get paid accordingly. So monetarily it does not make sense to (see DJ) to pad your record beating up a bunch of no-names. The risk however are HUGE (see Anderson Silva) if you get beaten by a no-name (weidman at the time and still not a draw). The mentality of grind away defend your belt reminds me of the mentality of an old school union worker, grind away, shut your mouth and the company takes care of you. That worked for people like my grandpa who worked on the railroad for 40 years and retired with great benefits, but that's not the case in 2017. Today the average person has 10-15 jobs and is on their job well under 5 years. Why? Because they typically leave for a higher paying job. Why would Conor defend his belt against a guy who a guy like Ferguson, who has a good chance of beating him, and make 1/10th the money? Would you? I know I wouldn't. Don't blame Conor blame the UFC.

Yes, the UFC is a popularity contest that sometimes puts on MMA fights. Yes, McGregor's payday Aug. 26 will be the biggest ever for a UFC fighter.

But over time, the biggest sports event have competitive importance. The Super Bowl is tops because it determines the big dog in football.

By having a belt holder sidetracked with peripheral crap, the UFC allows that division to stagnate. How does that help its business?

LOL @ you being a broke bitch living in your moms basement while I have a career a dope ass house and go on vacation 3-4 times a year. I don't think that's his goal dummy it's to make $$$ and he does it better then anyone. He's literally said that for years.
LOL
an anonymous dumbass lying about his life-style...
If you had a good life, you'd not feel the need to boast about it.
It exposes you as a liar.

At any rate, thank you for agreeing with me then that he is no GOAT and nowhere close to those who are considered GOAT.

terribe response.
Silva (despite being in there) holds the record for most title defenses in the UFC.
Numbers alone don't mean a thing.
But I give you one that matters
0 - the amount of title defenses Conor has throughout his career, despite winning multiple belts in different organizations.

Conor is not a champion lol. You like to dig your own grave.
it is something that many fighters said: a Champion becomes truly a champion once they defend their belts.

Conor so far run away from every title defenses he got.

Time will tell if he will EVER defend a belt.

He won't indeed, because they're relatively unknown cage fighters with niche audience, while he's a global superstar.
LOL
Ronda was as well...

...that did not help her.

Probably because most know Conor would lose defending his belt against Khabib/Tony.

So he is being a smart chicken

Say what you will, but McGregor fights are always a good time for the fans no matter how you feel about him. I don't care if he defends his belt, or just takes another money fight. I'll watch it either way. He's a great showman.

Because people want to see the Best fight the Best. Not who can generate the most numbers in lopsided matchups.

Lets take emotion and sport purity out of it. This is an entertainment business, the UFC does not treat this like the NFL, NBA?.

WTF does the UFC have to do with my opinion as a fan? My first priority isn't to how much money the UFC is making each event. I care about seeing the best fighters defend against the best fighters. Not see coddled fighters like Conor get special treatment because they bring in the money.

Lets take emotion and sport purity out of it. This is an entertainment business, the UFC does not treat this like the NFL, NBA etc. where you win and your progress in your bracket, if you are the best at your position(weight division for UFC) you get paid accordingly. So monetarily it does not make sense to (see DJ) to pad your record beating up a bunch of no-names. The risk however are HUGE (see Anderson Silva) if you get beaten by a no-name (weidman at the time and still not a draw). The mentality of grind away defend your belt reminds me of the mentality of an old school union worker, grind away, shut your mouth and the company takes care of you. That worked for people like my grandpa who worked on the railroad for 40 years and retired with great benefits, but that's not the case in 2017. Today the average person has 10-15 jobs and is on their job well under 5 years. Why? Because they typically leave for a higher paying job. Why would Conor defend his belt against a guy who a guy like Ferguson, who has a good chance of beating him, and make 1/10th the money? Would you? I know I wouldn't. Don't blame Conor blame the UFC.

If it was entertainment with no sport purity or integrity, then it would be WWE. It's not.

Back