Why are people so hung up on Conor defending his belt?

Because in Murica, you either go undefeated and defend your titles, or you are a worthless piece of shit.

This sport isn't about entertaining the fans or having a marketable look, it's about using Murican wrastlin to dryhump your way to the top.

#Murica
So it is a uniquely Irish thing to one tool your way to the top and then never prove you belong there?
Conor's a one of a kind.
In the giving up a title rather than bother defending it category

That's why Conor will NEVER be in the same conversation as Fedor, Silva, GSP or Jones...
He won't indeed, because they're relatively unknown cage fighters with niche audience, while he's a global superstar.

Lets take emotion and sport purity out of it. This is an entertainment business, the UFC does not treat this like the NFL, NBA etc. where you win and your progress in your bracket, if you are the best at your position(weight division for UFC) you get paid accordingly. So monetarily it does not make sense to (see DJ) to pad your record beating up a bunch of no-names. The risk however are HUGE (see Anderson Silva) if you get beaten by a no-name (weidman at the time and still not a draw). The mentality of grind away defend your belt reminds me of the mentality of an old school union worker, grind away, shut your mouth and the company takes care of you. That worked for people like my grandpa who worked on the railroad for 40 years and retired with great benefits, but that's not the case in 2017. Today the average person has 10-15 jobs and is on their job well under 5 years. Why? Because they typically leave for a higher paying job. Why would Conor defend his belt against a guy who a guy like Ferguson, who has a good chance of beating him, and make 1/10th the money? Would you? I know I wouldn't. Don't blame Conor blame the UFC.

It boils down to people calling him GOAT.
People confuse liking someone as being the best. I could easily come up with a rebuttal of why Jon Jones is MUCH better than conor, and it would be relatively simple to do so.
But they call him a GOAT when hes never defended his title.
And a few of his wins were no where near being dominant.

So, lets say Cody G beat Cruz then retired.
Is he goat?

If you win the belt then quit...how can you be considered the GOAT?

People complained Jose didnt fight enough...now look at conor.

They can't stop talking about him. That's all it is.
They cry every time Conor wins. They disappear for a bit after talking heinous shit.
Then come back and start more Conor hate threads.
Inserts the same photo with his fight against Diaz, and they collectively giggle and think to themselves... "derf derf, I'm so cool."
They spend their lives nit picking successful people and their little faults. It's a new age hobby you could say.

This. It goes way beyond MMA though, go look at any news outlet and you'll see the comments section full of bitter twisted little gargoyles hating on people more successful than for any reason they can think up. It's become a modern pastime, and MMA is no different. We've developed a culture of have and have nots where the have nots seem to spend most of their time chipping away at people that don't know they exist.

He won't indeed, because they're relatively unknown cage fighters with niche audience, while he's a global superstar.
True fans of mma know he's a farce.
True mma champs defend titles against challengers, it's why the strap exists ffs

Lets take emotion and sport purity out of it. This is an entertainment business, the UFC does not treat this like the NFL, NBA etc. where you win and your progress in your bracket, if you are the best at your position(weight division for UFC) you get paid accordingly. So monetarily it does not make sense to (see DJ) to pad your record beating up a bunch of no-names. The risk however are HUGE (see Anderson Silva) if you get beaten by a no-name (weidman at the time and still not a draw). The mentality of grind away defend your belt reminds me of the mentality of an old school union worker, grind away, shut your mouth and the company takes care of you. That worked for people like my grandpa who worked on the railroad for 40 years and retired with great benefits, but that's not the case in 2017. Today the average person has 10-15 jobs and is on their job well under 5 years. Why? Because they typically leave for a higher paying job. Why would Conor defend his belt against a guy who a guy like Ferguson, who has a good chance of beating him, and make 1/10th the money? Would you? I know I wouldn't. Don't blame Conor blame the UFC.

I like Conor but I wish he would have as much passion defending his belt as his fans have for creating shit threads.

What's really hilarious is you're a white belt talking hard shiet.
Chill out youngin

What kind of rebuttal is that?
Who cares what his belt color is...if you cant respond and crush his reasoning, dont respond at all cuz talking about his belt level basically says, "I dont have a response to that so ill pick at something esle to make it look like i have something relevant to say".

As soon as I read take away sports purity I knew this was going to be fun. No the UFC does not work like the NFL or NBA as they do not have an annual season that starts each fighter at 0 and has them work their way to a playoff/ tournament where they winner becomes that years champion. Instead once you win you become the undisputed and defending champion. Conor may be the undisputed champion, but he is missing the defending part and has already lost one belt because of it. Because the UFC does have a system where champions defend their belts, when you have ones that lose right away or don't defend at all (Conor and GDR) it takes away from them ever winning at all as we have nothing to say about what type of champion they were. For instance so far Woodley is a safety first champion, MM has gotten better each time out, Jones, GSP (during his time) and Silva (during his time) all look to have strangle holds on their titles. Conor appears to have locked his in a display case meant for old rare china plates and pure silver flatware. I'm sure even you see where that's just not as impressive.

All I see is people state he's a pussy for not defending his belt. Not any real logical points other thens stupid quotes like "Champs defend" or "he has the belt he has to defend it". Conor is not my favorite fighter, although I do enjoy his fights, tha said he is literally greatness. Is he the best fighter? No but he is the only fighter I've ever seen tell the UFC what he's going to do and the bend the fucking knee and do what he wants. How is that not outright great? Or he could defend his belt and be like every other UFC fighter.

Your ignorance of history shows in your statement.
Randy Cotoure stood up for himself in the UFC and had alot of problems because of it.
Hated, Tito Ortiz stood up to the UFC and that was even crazier than Randys...which was more focused on Dana.
Now, Mighty Mouse is standing up for himself, regardless of the controversy.

Conor was not the first.

As soon as I read take away sports purity I knew this was going to be fun. No the UFC does not work like the NFL or NBA as they do not have an annual season that starts each fighter at 0 and has them work their way to a playoff/ tournament where they winner becomes that years champion. Instead once you win you become the undisputed and defending champion. Conor may be the undisputed champion, but he is missing the defending part and has already lost one belt because of it. Because the UFC does have a system where champions defend their belts, when you have ones that lose right away or don't defend at all (Conor and GDR) it takes away from them ever winning at all as we have nothing to say about what type of champion they were. For instance so far Woodley is a safety first champion, MM has gotten better each time out, Jones, GSP (during his time) and Silva (during his time) all look to have strangle holds on their titles. Conor appears to have locked his in a display case meant for old rare china plates and pure silver flatware. I'm sure even you see where that's just not as impressive.

Brilliance.

That is also the main reason we never saw Fedor in the octagon. The UFC has always paid their fighters terribly. just recently, due to the McGregor phenomenon, have started seeing fighter pay rise.

Some of them are obviously trying to find a reason to keep hating.

You have to look at peoples motivations, I don't believe his motivation are to be the greatest belt defender of all time. I'm not saying he's right or wrong, he's taking a different path and people act all butthurt. I honestly don't get it. I blame the UFC not the fighter.
This is all great and may well be true but his motivations have nothing to do with your original question of why people are hung up on him not defending.

2/10

Part of the obligation of being champion is defending the belt so others have a shot at getting it but this guy gets it and just holds it for a conversation piece.
I find it odd that people who don't understand why people are hung up on him defending the belt do not understand he is not only denying the company PPV sales
he id denying others opportunity, For a fighter that belt is exposure which leads to money and that is all they care about and it should be. He is just hanging out with the belt
fuck anybody else and their family.

LOL @ you being a broke bitch living in your moms basement while I have a career a dope ass house and go on vacation 3-4 times a year. I don't think that's his goal dummy it's to make $$$ and he does it better then anyone. He's literally said that for years.
Add a model gf and you got it made. 6'5" 250 bro

LOL @ comparing your cubicle job to a fighter's.
A champion's job is to defend his belt.
Conor refuses to defend.
Hence Conor is not a champion.

That's why Conor will NEVER be in the same conversation as Fedor, Silva, GSP or Jones...

Burger King has cubicles where you live?

#livinglarge

I wouldn't give a damn whether or not he's defended a belt, Aldo is considered the greatest featherweight of all time and he only defended once a year. The reason it does matter though is because people are calling him the GOAT. Which is hilarious.

Not really.
Pretty much everyone is saying that as a joke.

Back