Why are people so hung up on Conor defending his belt?

Because its the only somewhat relevant complaint about him. They know they are whiney bitches running out of things to hate him for

Because in Murica, you either go undefeated and defend your titles, or you are a worthless piece of shit.

This sport isn't about entertaining the fans or having a marketable look, it's about using Murican wrastlin to dryhump your way to the top.

#Murica

Why is this even a question and a thread ?

The most retarded thing i think is Tony and Khabib haven't even fought anyone in the time he's been off, talk about missed opportunity. They need to quit clowning around.

I doubt Conor will wait around for them two to tie up there fight he will probably end up doing Mcgregor vs. Diaz 3. Which i don't want to see at the moment whatsoever.

Ask yourself why would he do Diaz III? Easy fight? Hell no Diaz gives Conor a war and has a win over him. It's about the money. Conor is clearly all about the money, and honestly he's earned it by being very entertaining and beating a lot of really good fighters. He's not the GOAT and will probably never be the GOAT but does being the GOAT make you rich?

Ask yourself why would he do Diaz III? Easy fight? Hell no Diaz gives Conor a war and has a win over him. It's about the money. Conor is clearly all about the money, and honestly he's earned it by being very entertaining and beating a lot of really good fighters. He's not the GOAT and will probably never be the GOAT but does being the GOAT make you rich?
I don't buy any of that for one second i think he's hit the ceiling for making money. Now it's about legacy and how he will be remembered. He's even said this in interviews, watch a few. Money can only you take you so far. Then it becomes about what you love to do.

Because what is the fucking point of having belts then??
Name recognition, marketability, and in the end more money and fame. This isn't 2007 sir shit has changed. Look at the UFC and how it does things. Would old UFC let Rory, Bader, Davis etc. go? I doubt it, they are all great fighters but not big draws

Looks like you need to study up on your idol a bit more.

I don't buy any of that for one second i think he's hit the ceiling for making money. Now it's about legacy and how he will be remembered. He's even said this in interviews, watch a few. Money can only you take you so far. Then it becomes about what you love to do.

He said that about fight the greatest defensive boxer ever. You're speculating on a fight that has not been announced. I'm only entertaining your speculation to prove a point. What if he loses a UD to Mayweather, comes back to mma and beats the winner of Fergalicious vs Tiramisumo? Does that earn your respect? I doubt it. I think you just don't like the guy. Which is fine, I honestly find him annoying as a person but as a fighter and business man he's on another level

Notice how all the "champs" are copying conor. Jones calling out Lesnar, TJ (ex champ) wants a superfight with DJ, Bisping and Woodley both super thirsty to fight GSP. They all want the money because they realize "defend your belt" don't get you shit but being a company man. If the UFC rewarded "defend your belt" everyone would fall in line.
You asked why people are hung up on defending, I answered that question, now your shifting to money fights, completely a different topic than your original question.

You asked why people are hung up on defending, I answered that question, now your shifting to money fights, completely a different topic than your original question.

You have to look at peoples motivations, I don't believe his motivation are to be the greatest belt defender of all time. I'm not saying he's right or wrong, he's taking a different path and people act all butthurt. I honestly don't get it. I blame the UFC not the fighter.

It's a champion's duty to defend their belt. Conor's are accessories to him like the fucking hipster he is.

He said that about fight the greatest defensive boxer ever. You're speculating on a fight that has not been announced. I'm only entertaining your speculation to prove a point. What if he loses a UD to Mayweather, comes back to mma and beats the winner of Fergalicious vs Tiramisumo? Does that earn your respect? I doubt it. I think you just don't like the guy. Which is fine, I honestly find him annoying as a person but as a fighter and business man he's on another level
If he beats the winner of Ferguson vs. Khabib does that earn your respect ? Of course what kind of a stupid question is that ?

Secondly i'm not just talking about that video there are countless video's on him coming back to MMA and fighting again. Not just by Conor, by multiple teamates and Dana. I think UFC are going to offer him a massive contract i wouldn't be surprised if they bring him into the UFC on some kind of % cause he really has gotten that big.

Name recognition, marketability, and in the end more money and fame.

Belts only do that if they actually mean something. By making belts entirely meaningless you also decrease everything that comes along with having a belt. Did anyone care that Fedor had the WMMA belt? fuck no.

I don't think you have thought this concept through (which is not at all surprising)

gonna be great when the conor huggers go away when he moves on

Job of road sweeper = sweeping roads
Job of champion in a combat sport = defending the belt

Simple enough for you?

Lets take emotion and sport purity out of it. This is an entertainment business, the UFC does not treat this like the NFL, NBA etc. where you win and your progress in your bracket, if you are the best at your position(weight division for UFC) you get paid accordingly. So monetarily it does not make sense to (see DJ) to pad your record beating up a bunch of no-names. The risk however are HUGE (see Anderson Silva) if you get beaten by a no-name (weidman at the time and still not a draw). The mentality of grind away defend your belt reminds me of the mentality of an old school union worker, grind away, shut your mouth and the company takes care of you. That worked for people like my grandpa who worked on the railroad for 40 years and retired with great benefits, but that's not the case in 2017. Today the average person has 10-15 jobs and is on their job well under 5 years. Why? Because they typically leave for a higher paying job. Why would Conor defend his belt against a guy who a guy like Ferguson, who has a good chance of beating him, and make 1/10th the money? Would you? I know I wouldn't. Don't blame Conor blame the UFC.

Making 1/10th the money of a Mayweather fight(his last few anyway) is a damm good salary that few if any UFC fighters have ever achieved. The biggest boxing prize fights in the 2000s and 2010s are the biggest salarys in all of sports. Also it used to be if someone didn't defend their belt for a certain period of time for any reason, they created an interim belt which forced the champ to fight the new champ or be stripped of their belt. This has not happened to Conor.

LOL @ comparing your cubicle job to a fighter's.
A champion's job is to defend his belt.
Conor refuses to defend.
Hence Conor is not a champion.

That's why Conor will NEVER be in the same conversation as Fedor, Silva, GSP or Jones...
Conor is not a champion lol. You like to dig your own grave.

They cling to anything they can in order to discredit fighters.

I could give a shit if he defends his belt. He's a combat sports fighter. Get in, make your money, get the fuck out. It's that simple.

He's doing it right.

Lets take emotion and sport purity out of it. This is an entertainment business, the UFC does not treat this like the NFL, NBA etc. where you win and your progress in your bracket, if you are the best at your position(weight division for UFC) you get paid accordingly. So monetarily it does not make sense to (see DJ) to pad your record beating up a bunch of no-names. The risk however are HUGE (see Anderson Silva) if you get beaten by a no-name (weidman at the time and still not a draw). The mentality of grind away defend your belt reminds me of the mentality of an old school union worker, grind away, shut your mouth and the company takes care of you. That worked for people like my grandpa who worked on the railroad for 40 years and retired with great benefits, but that's not the case in 2017. Today the average person has 10-15 jobs and is on their job well under 5 years. Why? Because they typically leave for a higher paying job. Why would Conor defend his belt against a guy who a guy like Ferguson, who has a good chance of beating him, and make 1/10th the money? Would you? I know I wouldn't. Don't blame Conor blame the UFC.

I don't blame Conor I blame the UFC and I the fans that buy into it. Why do some people buy into Conor being the greatest thing ever when he hasn't come close to proving it? His opportunities, like the LW title shot and to some degree the FW title shot were based on his entertainment value. You could hire a Pro Wrestler or that model Conor based his look on and tell everyone they are the best and some would believe it.

The UFC that Conor entered was built on the best fighting the best and proving it. Conor is a smart business man and I can't blame him for the fact that so many ignorant "Casuals" are happy to throw their money and adoration at him. I am just not one of them. I paid money to see Conor as he was coming up and went to Vegas to see him vs Aldo at UFC 189 which turned into Chad Mendes but should have been Frankie. When he beat Aldo and ran away without defending but kept claiming to be the FW champion that was when he went from being a fighter to a businessman. I am a fan of fighters not business. I am a businessman myself but I don't admire anyone in any form of Entertainment for the way they do business.

Back