What's Your Next Purchase? V5

Thanks, I got it brand new for $819. Somehow a gun store in Georgia ended up with a new in box CA model Extreme and they dropped the price to get rid of it.

It is basically a SIG with everything done to it that I would have done myself, so I couldn't pass it up for that price. It was either that or one of those Odinworks Grendel uppers that @RerouteToRemain posted in the deals thread.

I ordered some P224 controls and a solid steel guide rod for it, I'm going to get it as close to a Legion as possible without sending it to Grayguns.

Sounds like you'll have a nice shooter. I have a sig 229, dosent get out much but I'd never get rid of it.

Chest rig and conversion barrel arrived. Conversion barrel sits super smooth in the Glock and the chest rig fits awesome.

SF-P3X-A-BK-EAG-CLICK-2.jpg

P3X fury tactical EAG model(click instead of twist)

So my "new" co-worker has turned me ono Winchester Model 70s. Found this Model 70 Featherweight in .308 with a Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36 and he's encouraging me to use my tax return to partially fund it.

The one thing I hate about working with him is he's always looking at guns and making me want to buy one.

So my "new" co-worker has turned me ono Winchester Model 70s. Found this Model 70 Featherweight in .308 with a Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36 and he's encouraging me to use my tax return to partially fund it.

The one thing I hate about working with him is he's always looking at guns and making me want to buy one.

Great guns but I prefer the "extreme conditions" over the featherweight. One of the extreme conditions rifles is what I've been carrying a lot lately but it's a 30-06. My only 308 right now is a kimber montana.

With the m70 extreme you get a B&C stock, full stainless and a fluted barrel.

As for the leupold scopes, that's mostly what I'm using now, vx3i on 3 rifles and a Swarovski on the kimber. Leupold makes awesome hunting scopes in the vx line.

I think if the seller still has it by next Wednesday, my pay day, then it was meant to be.

Part of me can't help but feel a little retarded for buying a scout rifle for western hunting, so this may be a better fit.

I think if the seller still has it by next Wednesday, my pay day, then it was meant to be.

Part of me can't help but feel a little retarded for buying a scout rifle for western hunting, so this may be a better fit.

Isn't it like mostly plains for you? Unless you're hunting sheep in the mountains a 70 featherweight isn't a great choice.

I mean take a look, you have a 308 scout rifle a 70ftw in 308 is essentially going to be the same thing with a slightly less longet barrel.

It's a good rifle but there's a reason the 70fte isnt a popular choice for western hunting. It's a niche mountain rifle.

Bare with me for a minute here while I go down the rabbit hole. Seems like where you are there's antelope, mike deer and maybe elk? And you aren't really a mountain hunter (bighorns, mountain goats, dhalls etc) and you like that "western hunting" type thing.

That 70fw is a great gun but let's be honest about what it is. It's an old school mountain rifle that's not mountain rifle light by today's standards. You'll get a no.1 contour barrel which is great when you are packing it up a mountain but not grist when you're taking windy shots at 400yds on an antelope.

I have a kimber montana that weighs about 6lb with the scope, it's meant to be carried a lot and shot a little, that 70fw it's the 1980s version of that idea.

Down in New Mexico (prime example of western hunting) where we go for elk, antelope and deer we often have to shoot at ranges of 300+ in high winds so we generally like a full size hunting rifle, mountain rifles are great to carry, not great to shoot, I can't say that enough.

You already have a 308 scout rifle that's probably not much shorter or lighter than that 70 also I never really pegged the 308 as a good western hunting round, it's nice in a light rifle because you can use a short action but for big elk, 500yd shots on antelope etc, I always liked the 06 or the 300wm in a full size rifle that weighs 8-8.5lb scoped up, again you might hike around a lot but the extrememweight savings isn't really needed for walking. Across plains and through forests.

I guess I'm saying:
-the 70fw is a mountain rifle
-it's also an antiquated mountain rifle
-you'll have some of the same limitations you already do with your scout.
-it's a quiver gun meaning it shouldn't be your primary rifle.

If you like it, cool, you'll probably still want an all around rifle. I like my kimber but it is what it is, definetly not an all around rifle.

Last edited:
@bushman505

Yeah, I get what you're saying. After much consideration and even before your input, I do realize that there's quite a bit of overlap already, especially in a calibre I already own. I've never shot far enough to really want/need 4 more inches of barrel (insert dick joke here).

That said, I feel most of the "gripes" I developed after this season were optics related, but that's also largely due to the scout's intended uses, I guess. I went out this season with a 2-7x32 IER, which I thought would add some flexibility, but actually kind of hinders it. FOV @ 7x sucks balls and the added weight of a variable scope makes the gun muzzle heavy and hinders its inherent snap shooting ability; lose-lose, IMO. I could try a fixed power IER, but that makes the scout more specialized and less suitable to western hunting, IMO.

I dunno, maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to buy a new gun?

@bushman505

Yeah, I get what you're saying. After much consideration and even before your input, I do realize that there's quite a bit of overlap already, especially in a calibre I already own. I've never shot far enough to really want/need 4 more inches of barrel (insert dick joke here).

That said, I feel most of the "gripes" I developed after this season were optics related, but that's also largely due to the scout's intended uses, I guess. I went out this season with a 2-7x32 IER, which I thought would add some flexibility, but actually kind of hinders it. FOV @ 7x sucks balls and the added weight of a variable scope makes the gun muzzle heavy and hinders its inherent snap shooting ability; lose-lose, IMO. I could try a fixed power IER, but that makes the scout more specialized and less suitable to western hunting, IMO.

I dunno, maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to buy a new gun?

Nothing wrong with buying a new gun and nothing wrong with a nice m70fw. Just thought I'd pitch in my 2c.

I also don't see anything wrong with having a few guns in a caliber you like, in fact I think it's a good idea. Even with some overlap between the guns you could find some uses. Keep the scout when your out in the country banging around in your truck or snow machine, whatever and use the m70 when you're out on foot more. Both are cool guns that I wouldn't mind having in my quiver. Add a nice 300wm at some point and you'd have everything covered.

Funny story a bit off topic, im living in a subsitance village on the Alaska peninsula now, one guy asked me what sort of guns I had in the case I told him: 308, 270, 30-06, 375hh....the guy said "375 huh.....you know you aren't in Africa right????" Old village dude saying that too me. Within a few hours everybody in the village was making fun of me (in a friendly way). They pretty much all use 270s even though the biggest grizzly bears in the state are right here.

Nothing wrong with buying a new gun and nothing wrong with a nice m70fw. Just thought I'd pitch in my 2c.

I also don't see anything wrong with having a few guns in a caliber you like, in fact I think it's a good idea. Even with some overlap between the guns you could find some uses. Keep the scout when your out in the country banging around in your truck or snow machine, whatever and use the m70 when you're out on foot more. Both are cool guns that I wouldn't mind having in my quiver. Add a nice 300wm at some point and you'd have everything covered.

Funny story a bit off topic, im living in a subsitance village on the Alaska peninsula now, one guy asked me what sort of guns I had in the case I told him: 308, 270, 30-06, 375hh....the guy said "375 huh.....you know you aren't in Africa right????" Old village dude saying that too me. Within a few hours everybody in the village was making fun of me (in a friendly way). They pretty much all use 270s even though the biggest grizzly bears in the state are right here.
That was kind of the idea when I started looking at the M70. This past season was my first experience with truck hunting; I appreciate my co-worker taking the time to take me out hunting, but I don't really enjoy driving around a fenceline, jumping out of a truck and loading to shoot a running animal. But I'm also a shit hunter so far and am willing to try new things out under the guidance of someone more experienced.

Perhaps I felt that having a blind mag/hinged floor plate would force me to spot and stalk a bit more and having a conventional hunting scope could give me the flexibility I wanted. Maybe I just wanted to see what the hype of the Model 70 was and maybe I was drawn to the familiarity of a Mauser-style action.

As for calibre choice, I don't like the .30-06 because I feel like I already have 90% of the performance in a short action .308. Anything else in a long action is a little too goofy for my tastes and a magnum action is just overkill for what I do.

That was kind of the idea when I started looking at the M70. This past season was my first experience with truck hunting; I appreciate my co-worker taking the time to take me out hunting, but I don't really enjoy driving around a fenceline, jumping out of a truck and loading to shoot a running animal. But I'm also a shit hunter so far and am willing to try new things out under the guidance of someone more experienced.

Perhaps I felt that having a blind mag/hinged floor plate would force me to spot and stalk a bit more and having a conventional hunting scope could give me the flexibility I wanted. Maybe I just wanted to see what the hype of the Model 70 was and maybe I was drawn to the familiarity of a Mauser-style action.

As for calibre choice, I don't like the .30-06 because I feel like I already have 90% of the performance in a short action .308. Anything else in a long action is a little too goofy for my tastes and a magnum action is just overkill for what I do.

For sure, if you don't intend to shoot 200-220g bullets, no reason to go to 06. I mostly shoot 150g ttsx out of my 308.

Hunting can be frustrating evennwhen you're "good" at it. Get some good binos and don't be afraid to sit still for a several hours and just keep looking. Find animal signs then watch the area from a distance. The actual shooting is like 2 seconds of a 10 day hunt lol.

Right now I'm just waiting for my residency to go through so I can get a bull moose, hopefully float it out rather than pack it out.

I've been heading out with the locals for subsistence hunts, shits crazy...they just shoot like 15 caribou. In fact I'm allowed to shoot like 5 a day lol.

Radian stripped upper, handguard and barrel nut and it's getting shipped off to blown deadline.

Just picked up a Century Arms C39V2, couple of mags, and a thousand rounds of 7.62x39.

It's my first AK, can't wait to shoot it!

My buddy has the stamped version, which I really liked when him and I hit the range last month.

My local shop posted on Facebook two weeks ago they were getting 20 of the C39V2's in and I put a deposit down, picked the bad boy up for $699.

bolt_carrier_enhanced_04.jpg

bolt_carrier_enhanced_05.jpg

bolt_carrier_enhanced_03.jpg

bolt_carrier_enhanced_02.jpg

Lol dvor making me almost complete my battle arms build. Only need a handguard and 7.5" barrel.

If Barrett actually ever releases the field craft rifle, I might get it.

Same with the kimber sub alpine.

Just bought me a zombie ammo can, extra mag for my glock 30sf (I got 3 now) and truglo night sights for my glock.
Gonna get a viridian laser/light combo real soon.
Then I'll work on getting my shotgun. Most likely a Mossberg 590 of some sort. Some magpul accessories (grip & fore end), a side saddle shell holder and some sort of sighting system.
Actually might get the shotgun before the viridian stuff. Still debating.

Back