Uriah Hall seizure?

same day weigh ins to discourage weight cutting- or cage side- that's a whole lot of weight classes, no need for recovery time if your not cutting weight

That sucks man. Sorry to hear that. I hope they stay gone for you
Yeah last one I ever had was at the age of 16 and just like that they stopped. I'm 33 now and haven't had one since. Doctors still aren't sure why I had them but they think it might have had to do with puberty or something.

More weight classes destroy combat sports, look at boxing if you need direct examples.

The only problem with weight cuts are guys who cut too much weight because they are in a weightclass that's too small for them. Because they don't have the courage/heart whatever to move up a weightclass where they can make weight SAFELY.

So what would we be doing by adding more weight classes which would destroy MMA? Catering to a select few guys who are irresponsible. You want that? Fine, not me.

I could be wrong on this call I get forgetful @times but aren't you one of them TJ Dillashaw flag wavers wanting him to go down to FLW to give MM a good what for..? Again if I'm wrong apologies but it seems a little Trumpish to say this ^^^ and support killing himself to fight a smaller guy than go up to 145.

The TS does have a point ^^^ but you don't need multiple weight additions just 1, 2, for me between MW & LHW and LHW to HW give the bigger boyz more land to roam rest of the weight class just need to stay fit & legal...

Last edited:
You kind of answered one of your posts with the other here.

If both are doing dramatic weight cuts... then yeah, it kind of makes sense for them to just fight at a higher weight. Then again... what about a guy who is the natural weight... against someone with a dramatic weight cut? That's where the advantage comes in.

Thing is, that there's a healthy way to do it. We got Tyler or whatever his name is... who tends to DC & Max's weight cuts... & just recently did Khabib's last weight cut... & he cooks for them & everything during fight week & makes sure they do it right. That's the difference. Fooking starve & deplete yourself of fluids while you do it... or hire a professional who knows how to do it. If you can't afford it... then you gotta study it. You gotta do it right. That's the lesson. Do it right.

There is no "healthy" way to cut weight.

I don't think it's up to the UFC to fix weight cutting, why can't people be held responsible for their own stupidity. If you can't use a car or a gun in a safe way don't use it, if you can't cut weight safely don't do it. What's the problem? These are professional athletes not high school kids.

Agreed.

Physical harm or injury from extreme weight-cutting IS the deterrent for extreme weight-cutting.

No regulation does a better job than that.

same day weigh ins to discourage weight cutting- or cage side- that's a whole lot of weight classes, no need for recovery time if your not cutting weight

This is excessive. Here's my take:

All weights below WW bring them up by 5 lbs. That cuts down the ridiculous 15.lb jump from LW to WW. It also brings up FLW by 5.lb which gives it more competition (and lessens some of the manlet factor too). This keeps the names and title-lineage the same.

130 FLW
140 BW
150 FW
160 LW
170 WW

That part I'm very strongly for. This is more of a suggestion:

170 WW
180 MW
190 Super MW
210 LHW
265 HW

(If it were up to me id cut HW limit down to 250, cus i want the fatasses to do some cardio and not gas every 3 secs, but i know that would never get accepted).
All in all you have only 1 new division, and nothing more. Everything else is just moving the weight around for better accommodation.

That thread about adding more division just got serious....Might be something to think about.
More divisions = More weight cutting. Dude killing himself to make 205 will think shit ... If I made 195 I'd kill it. Fighters will NEVER stop looking for a weight advantage.

I'm good with these ^^^ weight numbers, on them in betweens I'm not that keen...<bball1>

I wonder how long before the Tiramisu type jokes start getting tossed around here in Hall's direction <28>

Can we stop with putting the blame on Uriah? Hes never had weight issues in the past. This is some scary shit though and could happen to anyone.

Weight cutting was originally to get an advantage, now it's just about an even playing field.

They need real changes.

I would prefer to lose scheduled fights because of failure to make weight safely as opposed to fights cancelled like this.

I remember when Wanderlei fought Brian Stann, they were both middleweights, but they decided to fight at 205 because neither one of them wanted to do any weight cutting nonsense.
Would be cool to see that happen more often. I believe Stann said they both had a Gentleman's agreement to say fuck cutting weight, we're just gonna go to Japan heavy and slug it out.

It happens once in awhile, KJ Noons and Sam Stout pretty much said the same thing agreed not to cut weight and just weighed in at 170.

There's such an easy solution to this problem.

Just figure out a standard "training camp" period. Let's say 2 months.

In that period, their weight is surprise measured every few days, find their median and assign them to a division based on their fluctuation..

So simple. .

More divisions = More weight cutting. Dude killing himself to make 205 will think shit ... If I made 195 I'd kill it. Fighters will NEVER stop looking for a weight advantage.
Agreed 100%

I don’t care about Cutting weight / they are big boys but if it’s really an issue same day weigh ins is the only solution.

the advantage goes to the fighter who can cut weight more efficiently. Cutting weight is a discipline and skill.
<{katwhu}> MMA is about figthing... Who gives a fuck about the skill of cutting weight?

My bad. I was given bad info. I was told its the event that brought on the seizure or them injuring themselves during the seizure that's deadly

You are correct though. The problem is that seizures can be so powerful, that the events they bring about (tongue swallowing, respiratory failure, etc) can kill the person. Seizures can be very powerful.

Also, once you have a seizure, the doctors keep an eye on you to see if it's recurrent or not: he might be under observation for a while. Even if dehydration can trigger the seizure, whoever takes care of his health will keep an eye on his for future episodes.

But if it's this only one time, which I hope it is, he'll be fine and can fight in the future.

Khabib has had multiple problems with weight cuts and has ended up in the hospital. DC missed the Olympics because he gave himself a kidney failure cutting weight. Not exactly a great example

You're actually making my point for me. Khabib's "LAST" weight cut was with Tyler Minton... & it went great. He is also DC & Max's nutritionist. Khabib failed prior to that because he didn't have that professional helping him to do it correctly. Tyler wasn't around when DC was in the olympics. I gotta think you didn't understand what I was saying for you to come back with this... because my point is that you need to do it properly with a proper professional.

I'm saying that if you do it correctly, then you can make it happen. Hiring Tyler Minton is obviously working. He's not missed a single healthy weight cut. If you're just out there winging it & hoping for the best then you're f*cked & you end up like Khabib vs. Ferg last year or Uriah Hall this year... or DC in the olympics (if your reference on that is accurate.)

There is no "healthy" way to cut weight.
<FookIsThatGuy>

Honestly.... talk some sense or GTFO. Then we can discuss something. Throwing a a silly generality ain't telling nobody anything. Obviously, there are healthy ways to cut weight. People do it all the time. Then you got others who don't know wtf they're doing & they end up in the hospital.

Back