UFC cut Okami for no reason, and then brought him back to headline

OG vet Okami def deserves a big payday for this

Okami has a chance for PoTN bonus, can get some local publicity and helps with sponsors plus a chance to maybe sneak back to UFC if he does well. Does not need a win but if entertains they might be able to promote Okami for another fight or so until he gets crushed or disappoints hugging for 15 minutes.

When asked via Twitter why he released Okami, UFC President Dana White remarked "Our roster is packed." When asked by Yahoo Sports why he was releasing a highly ranked fighter who had won three of his last four bouts, White responded: "He was always a tough guy and was right up there, but it's almost like he'd become a gatekeeper. I like Okami, and you've heard me say this many times, that a win over Yushin Okami meant something ... But he was never able to get over the hump and win one of those [significant] fights. We have a lot of guys coming in and I've been saying this all year: We have a full roster and there are guys who deserve opportunities. When you bring guys in, someone has to go. That's why these fights are so meaningful."

So, that's why according to wiki. And they only brought him back for this card because he didn't need to get a Japanese visa on a week's notice to save the card.
Because Okami beat Lombard who was then a million dollar investment by the UFC... and Okami represents the grind style a la Shields, Fitch... that Dana personally hates.

It has nothing to do with being a gatekeeper, otherwise BIsping and Nate would have been fired years ago.

Going to laugh my butt off if he gets the upset. Could be an interesting game-plan Okami has set up.

Stateside commissions can request the public disclosure of fight purses, but the disclosure is only required in states that specifically request them. States like New York and several others (Kentucky? Tennessee? And others I can't remember) don't care. And outside of the states, the UFC is bound by a country's athletic commission if the country has one, and if they don't, they can act as their own commission (which includes ref choice, judges, etc). They had some controversy in Macau when Dana benched a judge during an event because that judge screwed up two fights in a row.
its kinda fucked up to see a promoter bench a judge....but it really was complete incompetency.....

Commission officials should be able to do that, tho....it should probably be someones job.....

Because Okami beat Lombard who was then a million dollar investment by the UFC...
1dc2fb37-9149-4164-93ac-f90bf5521956_text.gif

I mean look at Lombard over the years in the UFC. Went from a 31-2-1 (1) cuban techno goliath to a guy who limped to a 3-6 (1 NC) record, even though the Boetsch loss was suspect and Okami embraced the grind all over him.

There's no doubt that Okami didn't have a fan friendly style in every one of his fights, and he just got Fitched, that's all. Did the same to Shields and Rosholt too.

When asked via Twitter why he released Okami, UFC President Dana White remarked "Our roster is packed." When asked by Yahoo Sports why he was releasing a highly ranked fighter who had won three of his last four bouts, White responded: "He was always a tough guy and was right up there, but it's almost like he'd become a gatekeeper. I like Okami, and you've heard me say this many times, that a win over Yushin Okami meant something ... But he was never able to get over the hump and win one of those [significant] fights. We have a lot of guys coming in and I've been saying this all year: We have a full roster and there are guys who deserve opportunities. When you bring guys in, someone has to go. That's why these fights are so meaningful."

So, that's why according to wiki. And they only brought him back for this card because he didn't need to get a Japanese visa on a week's notice to save the card.

Meanwhile the guys they "gotta give a chance" are reality show hacks with a handful of pro fights. They speak American better though probably.

They get regional cans literally every place they go to get the crowd cheering for their people, complete with favorable match ups and home town cooking refs/judging. Idky this card would be any different.

But fighters don't get paid much as it is unless they're successful and have a decent fan base. I wouldn't insult them by calling them "local cans". It's a great opportunity for them, as they can't afford to fly and room/board themselves and have much left. It's a chance to win and perhaps make enough to be able to fly to other countries to compete.

Okami never should have been cut so it's cool he made his way back. If (when) he losses this fight they'll give him another at 185 or 170 whatever he wants for saving the card and then he can have one last go at it.

Watch Okami grind out a W

Has to be the more technical of the two

1dc2fb37-9149-4164-93ac-f90bf5521956_text.gif

I mean look at Lombard over the years in the UFC. Went from a 31-2-1 (1) cuban techno goliath to a guy who limped to a 3-6 (1 NC) record, even though the Boetsch loss was suspect and Okami embraced the grind all over him.

There's no doubt that Okami didn't have a fan friendly style in every one of his fights, and he just got Fitched, that's all. Did the same to Shields and Rosholt too.
Exactly.

The fact that Dana keeps addressing the public as if we're all idiots is actually pretty insulting. He's been getting away with his bullshit for a long time, because he basically strong-armed the press into playing ball otherwise they get the Ariel Helwani BAN treatment.

And yea, its not like you can make a career covering MMA with Bellator.

So... Its just a matter of time before people catch on to Dana's bullshit on a mass level. I predict 2 years tops, either Dana retires by then or he faces some Major public Backlash for one of his fuckups. He won't be able to avoid it on account of getting away with it for as long as he did. His ego is of gigantic magnitudes.

I will guess he is making a cool 50K for this headline gig.

Because Okami beat Lombard who was then a million dollar investment by the UFC... and Okami represents the grind style a la Shields, Fitch... that Dana personally hates.

It has nothing to do with being a gatekeeper, otherwise BIsping and Nate would have been fired years ago.

Honestly even Bisping wasn't exactly known for entertaining finishes, the big issue was he was a good talker and appealed to a market the UFC was after strongly.

They never needed Okami for the Japanese market previously because the ex Pride guys would appeal to it.

The let him go because he didn't have an overly exciting style and would've beaten most of the contenders. Good business for UFC but a fucking horrible way to treat the talent. Not sure what his disclosed pay was either or how long he had left on his contract but I'd imagine with his win loss ratio he'd have been looking for a better contract and more money and UFC probably weren't willing to pay more for a guy who didn't have the most thrilling style in the cage.

I have 0 facts to back this up. Just an assumption.

Thank God Okami is back. I missed that guy. Legend.

Ehhhhh, Bisping only lost to the upper echelon of the division and the UFC brass wants a UK market. Who better to do so than Bisping.

Okami 13-5 UFC record went through the same thing when he was cut with loses to Franklin, Sonnen, Silva, Boetsch and Souza. Draw in a market that UFC also wants a bigger piece of.

Bisping 20-10 UFC record lost to Hendo, Wand, Sonnen, Belfort, Kennedy, and Rockhold. More conducive style to what people are willing to pay to see really.

Okami 13-5 UFC record went through the same thing when he was cut with loses to Franklin, Sonnen, Silva, Boetsch and Souza. Draw in a market that UFC also wants a bigger piece of.

Bisping 20-10 UFC record lost to Hendo, Wand, Sonnen, Belfort, Kennedy, and Rockhold. More conducive style to what people are willing to pay to see really.
Bisping's UFC record is 20-7.

Back