training of the pros mma

What it means is what I said. That the mma'ers are demonstrably strong (watch some of the videos, read some of the interviews). Stronger than most people, stronger in the big three. As individuals, they'd likely walk into most commercial gyms and be the strongest or among the strongest pound-for-pound in the building. And even in the octagon, the stronger of the two often wins, and it's due to his strength. It's just patently stupid to make anti-strength remarks. That's old-school myth. Bullshit.

The reason most mma'ers are strong is that they realize the value of strength. The reason they squat, bench, and deadlift (and clean, press, do pullups, and perform other compound exercises) is that it's an efficient and effective route to strength. Fighters need to focus on many things and simply can't afford to take an inefficient route to become stronger. People who knock or deny the benefit of simple compound barbell exercises for complex sports are fools, and should be outed as such. I don't care what their credentials are or aren't. Wrong is wrong.
Nobody said that mma'ers aren't strong. They are very strong. But some of them are not impressively strong in the way of their numbers in the deadlift and the squat. And some don't even do the traditional lift the way this forum does it. And I'm talking the powerlifting deadlift and the barbell back squat.

Nobody said that mma'ers aren't strong. They are very strong. But some of them are not impressive in the way of their numbers in the deadlift and the squat. And some don't even do the traditional lift the way this forum does it. And I'm talking the powerlifting deadlift and the barbell back squat.

Dude, haven't you ever taken a communication class, or studied critical thinking? You'd benefit from it. Saying some mma'ers aren't impressive in their lifting numbers is not a point that means anything. You could say there are some NFL players that can't bench 225 (maybe a kicker or something) and so what? Does that make a case for staying out of the weight room? There are videos of Carwin deadlifting 500 for seven reps. Jon Jones deadlifting well over 500. Overeem deadlifting well over 500. Interviews with other lifters I've detailed in post #25 that you've ignored for what reason? Are you sticking your fingers in your ears and going "nyah nyah nyah" so you don't learn the terrible truth that most mma'ers are pretty damn strong?

Oh but you know some weak ones. Who gives a shit? There are obese ones too, so maybe you can become an advocate for obesity as a strong point in mma.

Dude, haven't you ever taken a communication class, or studied critical thinking? You'd benefit from it. Saying some mma'ers aren't impressive in their lifting numbers is not a point that means anything. You could say there are some NFL players that can't bench 225 (maybe a kicker or something) and so what? Does that make a case for staying out of the weight room? There are videos of Carwin deadlifting 500 for seven reps. Jon Jones deadlifting well over 500. Overeem deadlifting well over 500. Interviews with other lifters I've detailed in post #25 that you've ignored for what reason? Are you sticking your fingers in your ears and going "nyah nyah nyah" so you don't learn the terrible truth that most mma'ers are pretty damn strong?

Oh but you know some weak ones. Who gives a shit? There are obese ones too, so maybe you can become an advocate for obesity as a strong point in mma.
Take Anderson Silva, maybe the greatest ever. The dude probably stank at deadlift and barbell squat. If he even did them at all.

BJ Penn,

Young Jose Aldo.

Even Frankie Edgar who's back won't allow him to even do traditional powerlifting deadlift.

As I said, lots of guys in this forum probably blow them out of the water as far as numbers on deadlift and squat.

Pay more attention to what I said instead of assuming.

From the earlier article:

Tim Kennedy, BW 185: Squats 450+ Benches 350+ Deadlifts 400+

Travis Browne, BW 242: Squats 450 Benches 350 Deadlifts 500

Jim Miller, BW 155: Deadlifts 500

Manny Gamburian, BW 168: Squats 405 Benches 320

Chad Mendes, BW 145: Deadlift 450

Urijah Faber, BW 135: Squats 300 Benches 285

Shawn Jordan, BW 255: Benches 610 Power Cleans 440

Mark Munoz, BW 205: Squats 475 Benches 385 Deadlifts 515

My God, it's so mind numbing that you just repeat the same dumb shit over and over.

Take Anderson Silva, maybe the greatest ever. The dude probably stank at deadlift and barbell squat. If he even did them at all.

BJ Penn,

Young Jose Aldo.

Even Frankie Edgar who's back won't allow him to even do traditional powerlifting deadlift.

As I said, lots of guys in this forum probably blow them out of the water as far as numbers on deadlift and squat.

Pay more attention to what I said instead of assuming.

It ain't much, but he's doing them. You're making a fool of yourself here.

...this is the stuff TS was looking for, by the way. You're welcome, @flikerstance

Jon Jones Deadlifting 600#

Chris Cyborg Deadlifting 305 for reps

Tamdron McCrory box squatting

Chad Mendes, Danny Castillo, and Joseph Benavidez Squatting and benchpressing

Jon Jones Box Squatting 425 out of a monolift

Jon Jones Squatting 500

Jon Jones bench pressing 345

Tamdron McCrory 455 Deadlift

Johnny Hendricks Bench pressing, squatting, overhead pressing and hexbar deadlifting

Vitor Belfort Zercher squatting

It ain't much, but he's doing them. You're making a fool of yourself here.

Like I've said, many guys in this forum have better numbers than the beltholders in mma. That's not a lot of weight compared to what some guys in this forum are doing.

Like I've said, many guys in this forum have better numbers than the beltholders in mma. That's not a lot of weight compared to what some guys in this forum are doing.
Yeah, "some guys" including dedicated powerlifters. Including Keo, one of the top rated powerlifters in the country. You make the weakest, most foolish points.

My only sport is powerlifting, and many of these mma'ers are stronger than me.

Yeah, "some guys" including dedicated powerlifters. Including Keo, one of the top rated powerlifters in the country. You make the weakest, most foolish points.

My only sport is powerlifting, and many of these mma'ers are stronger than me.
If you powerlift, I'm guessing you likely have better numbers on deadlift and squat than Anderson Silva?

If you powerlift, I'm guessing you likely have better numbers on deadlift and squat than Anderson Silva?
Do you understand that finding one, or a few, examples of fighters that are weaker in the powerlifts than a powerlifter, doesn't mean jack squat? I think we need to establish whether you understand this.

Do you understand that finding one, or a few, examples of fighters that are weaker in the powerlifts than a powerlifter, doesn't mean jack squat? I think we need to establish whether you understand this.
Yes of course.

I've been saying all along that many of the belt holders have not had special numbers in the deadlift and back squat. And many guys in this forum have better numbers than these belt holders.

No shit. You mean to tell me guys who train specifically for strength are stronger than guys who don't? Next you're going to tell me that guys who train for marathons can run further than MMA fighters?

Yes of course.

I've been saying all along that many of the belt holders have not had special numbers in the deadlift and back squat. And many guys in this forum have better numbers than these belt holders.
And Jon Jones and Brock Lesnar were also belt holders. How many guys here can out lift them?

See how pointless a metric that is?

No shit. You mean to tell me guys who train specifically for strength are stronger than guys who don't? Next you're going to tell me that guys who train for marathons can run further than MMA fighters?
Those mma beltholders are stronger in other ways. But yes, you guys who powerlift have better numbers than someone like Anderson Silva.

Why have you guys been arguing with me over this?

No one has said Anderson Silva is strong. You continually move the goal posts.

What it means is what I said. That the mma'ers are demonstrably strong (watch some of the videos, read some of the interviews). Stronger than most people, stronger in the big three. As individuals, they'd likely walk into most commercial gyms and be the strongest or among the strongest pound-for-pound in the building. And even in the octagon, the stronger of the two often wins, and it's due to his strength. It's just patently stupid to make anti-strength remarks. That's old-school myth. Bullshit.

The reason most mma'ers are strong is that they realize the value of strength. The reason they squat, bench, and deadlift (and clean, press, do pullups, and perform other compound exercises) is that it's an efficient and effective route to strength. Fighters need to focus on many things and simply can't afford to take an inefficient route to become stronger. People who knock or deny the benefit of simple compound barbell exercises for complex sports are fools, and should be outed as such. I don't care what their credentials are or aren't. Wrong is wrong.

Well that makes your thoughts on the matter perfectly clear. and it's precisely because of that i made the initial comment i did because you're not alone on the forum.

There's no way Shawn Jordan puts up 610.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duelbits
Back