training of the pros mma

flikerstance

floridaman
Banned
Reaction score
curious as to if any of current ufc fighters have there strength conditioning programs leaked online id love to see there numbers for squats, dead's so i can see where i stack up compared to most at 170 185 i looked around but couldn't find much.

no shit but im curious as to there numbers they are able to do

Gsp can do that gymnastics cross thing on the rings which is pretty fukin strong especially for a guy walking round at 85-90kg

From the Forbidden Topics thread:
Am I strong for my size/age/whatever, or how strong should I be for "X". These aren't questions that there are good answers to. Instead think about where you should put your effort to reach your goals. There is no strong enough, only stronger and weaker.

How does athlete "X" train / or athlete "X" does this, so shouldn't I? There's a few different reasons we don't like these sorts of threads.
#1. Elite athletes have multi-year training histories, building work capacity, basic athletic qualities and skills. You're a different person, with a different training history, so your training shouldn't be the same.
#2. Very rarely will you find complete and accurate information on how a particular athlete trains. What you see may only be a small portion of their actual training, or it could be for the cameras, to psyche out an opponent or what have you. Without knowing in detail the how and why of someone's training, you shouldn't be hasty to emulate it.
#3. How an athlete trains, or all elements of an athletes training isn't necessarily optimal. There's various reasons for this, from wrong and dated views on training persisting, coaches trying to train outside their area of expertise, to athletes trying bizarre things looking for any edge.

no shit but im curious as to there numbers they are able to do
Rarely did you see the belt holders at the top doing deadlifts and back squats.

Probably a lot of guys in this forum have better powerlifting numbers than the best UFC fighters at those weight classes.

Probably a lot of guys in this forum have better powerlifting numbers than the best UFC fighters at those weight classes.
Outside of woodley yeah you really don't see too many guys squating or deadlifting. Honestly it seems like after 2X bw for either the results are diminishing. I do see quite a lot of pull ups and dips tho.

It's almost like the best fighters in the world have better skills, reflexes and natural ability above the general populace, and don't have to rely on training modalities to excel in the sport as much as the rest of us.

It's almost like the best fighters in the world have better skills, reflexes and natural ability above the general populace, and don't have to rely on training modalities to excel in the sport as much as the rest of us.
Sure. They also prioritize their training, which I think was what rip was getting at.

Sure. They also prioritize their training, which I think was what rip was getting at.
And my point is that I've known a number of high level pro MMA fighters, boxers and collegiate wrestlers who excel in spite of their sub-standard training practices. A lot of the guys I've worked with have such backward ideas on S&C, you'd never want them to coach you on it, but yet they rise to the top levels of their sport. If you are a normal guy without such natural reflexes, strength, fighting instincts, etc, then your training modalities are going to become that much more important for your success.

And my point is that I've known a number of high level pro MMA fighters, boxers and collegiate wrestlers who excel in spite of their sub-standard training practices. A lot of the guys I've worked with have such backward ideas on S&C, you'd never want them to coach you on it, but yet they rise to the top levels of their sport. If you are a normal guy without such natural reflexes, strength, fighting instincts, etc, then your training modalities are going to become that much more important for your success.
There are definitely some guys out there who does some wacky stuff and gets away with it, but at the same time it might be telling us something about the inherent importance, or lack of, in chasing numbers on the squat and deadlift for martial arts. They could get more out of their training, but they do know about training for fighting. It's not all just natural ability, they use a lot of training modalities already. Modalities which again we can learn from. Obviously you filter the information and sort the good from the bad.

Personally I'd like to see more focus on biomechanics and quality of movements during S&C. Prehab and strength training should be the same in my view. A healthy and strong athlete with good control of movement is an athlete that performs well.

Ultimately it depends on the person and sport. Target the weaknesses in accordance with the goal and consider diminishing returns and time best spent. Use whatever tool necessary.

Jones deads a bit over 500 I think. GSP benched 315 in that video years back. I remember seeing Jim Miller deadlift 4 plates, but that was awhile back as well.

Basketball players and baseball players dont squat or deadlift either.....this doesnt mean what they are doing is more optimal.....the fact people dont realize this is troublesome

That's simply not true. Most of the top athletes have a pretty decent squat and deadlift. A lot of them have already reached the point of diminishing returns so they no longer do the exercise, but almost all of them at one point of another went through regular strength training blocks with barbell squats and deadlifts, especially when talking about the heavier classes like 180 lbs and up.

They don't train like powerlifters, but they almost all do strength training and power training at some point.

As I said, you will rarely see the title holders doing deadlifts and barbell back squats.

Yeah, but that's a highly misleading statement without the accompanying information that most of them spent years doing deadlifts and barbell squats in strength training while building up to an elite level.

Beginners and Intermediate level athletes will gain a lot more from strength training that expert level athletes will because experts are already at the point of diminishing returns.

As I said, you will rarely see the title holders doing deadlifts and barbell back squats.
I trained with Matt Hughes when he was the UFC WW title holder. He was deadlifting and squatting. He had spent years deadlifting and squatting while he was a collegiate wrestler as well.

I trained with Matt Hughes when he was the UFC WW title holder. He was deadlifting and squatting. He had spent years deadlifting and squatting while he was a collegiate wrestler as well.

Yeah this myth has been going around for a long time. Of course they don't spend hours doing strength training because they've already spent decades doing strength training. They have already reaped the rewards of squats and deadlifts years before you ever heard their name. If a beginner thinks they can do an elite athletes workout and get to their level, they are crazy.

Just an example, but when I was working for a gym a few personal trainers I knew were tight with NFL coaches, and one showed me the off-season Strength and Conditioning book for the Seahawks defensive linebackers and they were barely doing any lifts at all because they are already strong. They literally had them doing power cleans and bench press, each with only 2 working sets twice a week. At their point, they were focused on power production because everyone already had the strength base to work with. If a beginner thinks he is going to get NFL linebackers strong by doing their movements, then he's fucking wrong.

Back