training of the pros mma

that bullshit still because if you do not do the lifts even at lower intensities during the season your strength will plummet

I trained with Matt Hughes when he was the UFC WW title holder. He was deadlifting and squatting. He had spent years deadlifting and squatting while he was a collegiate wrestler as well.
The guys with the American wrestling background are typically the one's who do use the barbell powerlifts. After that, very few of the top fighters do them.

From a M&F interview with Frankie Edgar:

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/athletes-celebrities/interviews/qa-featherweight-frankie-edgar

M&F: When you're outside of the ring what type of resistance training do you prefer?

Frankie Edgar: I do strength and condition. To me, that’s the one thing—you shouldn’t have to worry about getting injured. Some of the things—Jiu Jitsu, wrestling, sparring—there’s a lot of variables where stuff can just go wrong, and actually get you hurt and whatnot. Strength and conditioning, if you do it the right way, you should be walking out of that practice feeling good, feel like you got work in but you shouldn’t be beat up from it.

M&F: As a featherweight competitor, what kind of rep scheme and intensity are you using?

Frankie Edgar: In between fights, when I have a couple of months before I’m in camp, I like to lift heavy. Lower reps, and higher weight.

I like to say I kind of strong for my size, because I’m constantly lifting weights. I’ve been coming from a wrestling program in college; we always focused on a strength program in between seasons. I kind of try to do that now, although, we kind of don’t have a season per se, but I have off time that I can bulk and get stronger. As I get closer to my fight, I bring up the reps, and lower the weight.

M&F: What’s one of your favorite strength training movements?

Frankie Edgar: I love lat pulls. To me, that’s so conducive to MMA training. Were always pulling, were always pulling in for chokes and for grappling you’re definitely doing a lot of pulls. That, along with pull-ups are really helpful for getting your man strength up and pulling guys to you.

I actually read Joel Jamieson say that the top fighters typically aren't all that great in the powerlifts.
I think you heard wrong, and your bias is now leading you to make foolish assertions. You name a weak top fighter, I'll name a strong one, and you'll run out of names before me.

This is pretty simple information to find:

http://www.muscleandperformance.com/article/the-ufc-all-strength-team

There's loads and loads of anecdotal and documented evidence that top UFC fighters are strong at lifting. Being strong has a tremendous benefit, thus you see strength development on the menu for the vast majority of fighters.

Another :

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/3/1...eloped-some-of-the-best-striking-power-in-ufc

"During the strength and power cycle in the off-season and early fight camp, Hendricks concentrates on increasing the weights he uses on heavy dead lifts, power cleans, clean and jerks, full snatches, shoulder shrugs and really heavy one-arm dumbbell presses for building power from the core that strengthens punching power."

Another:

https://www.elitefts.com/education/training/sports-performance/strength-training-and-a-ufc-fighter/

"Relying on the expertise of trainer and former NCAA champion wrestler Mike Van Arsdale, Evans transformed his strength base by focusing on two important lifts.

"I implemented some basic lifts in order to help establish his power base and core strength. Those lifts were the power clean and deadlift," said Van Arsdale, a three-time All-American and 1988 wrestling champion at Iowa State."

Last edited:
From a M&F interview with Frankie Edgar:

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/athletes-celebrities/interviews/qa-featherweight-frankie-edgar

M&F: When you're outside of the ring what type of resistance training do you prefer?

Frankie Edgar: I do strength and condition. To me, that’s the one thing—you shouldn’t have to worry about getting injured. Some of the things—Jiu Jitsu, wrestling, sparring—there’s a lot of variables where stuff can just go wrong, and actually get you hurt and whatnot. Strength and conditioning, if you do it the right way, you should be walking out of that practice feeling good, feel like you got work in but you shouldn’t be beat up from it.

M&F: As a featherweight competitor, what kind of rep scheme and intensity are you using?

Frankie Edgar: In between fights, when I have a couple of months before I’m in camp, I like to lift heavy. Lower reps, and higher weight.

I like to say I kind of strong for my size, because I’m constantly lifting weights. I’ve been coming from a wrestling program in college; we always focused on a strength program in between seasons. I kind of try to do that now, although, we kind of don’t have a season per se, but I have off time that I can bulk and get stronger. As I get closer to my fight, I bring up the reps, and lower the weight.

M&F: What’s one of your favorite strength training movements?

Frankie Edgar: I love lat pulls. To me, that’s so conducive to MMA training. Were always pulling, were always pulling in for chokes and for grappling you’re definitely doing a lot of pulls. That, along with pull-ups are really helpful for getting your man strength up and pulling guys to you.
We're talking about deadlift and back squat.

Yes, Frankie does those too:

http://elitedaily.com/sports/frankie-edgar-mma-fighter-fitness/1452746/

"To boost your overall power and lifting ability, here’s what Edgar recommended.

1. Deadlifts"

And read my next post as well. You need to drop this anti-lifting bias. Or embrace it, and acknowledge when it doesn't apply, like now.

Like I said, that is not one of the powerlifts. This thread is about squat and deadlifting numbers. Frankie isn't even doing traditional powerlifting deadlifts. Most of the belt holders are not powerlifting. Doesn't mean they aren't strength training. And like I said, many guys in this forum have better powerlifting numbers than the top fighters.

freaking ridiculous.....if you want to be a top UFC fighter be sure and not do any squats and deadlifts

He used a different bar in one video? He obviously has never done a traditional deadlift then.

Like I said, that is not one of the powerlifts. This thread is about squat and deadlifting numbers. Frankie isn't even doing traditional powerlifting deadlifts. Most of the belt holders are not powerlifting. Doesn't mean they aren't strength training. And like I said, many guys in this forum have better powerlifting numbers than the top fighters.
Deadlift isn't one of the powerlifts? And you didn't read post #25? Come on man, pull your head out.

Deadlift isn't one of the powerlifts? And you didn't read post #25? Come on man, pull your head out.
This thread is about traditional numbers in powerlifts. In particular the squat and deadlift.

Frankie uses a hex bar. Or whatever you call that. So it's not a traditional deadlift.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is about traditional numbers in powerlifts. In particular the squat and deadlift.

Frankie uses a hex bar. Or whatever you call that. So it's not a traditional deadlift.
A variation of deadlift is still a deadlift. TS makes no distinction, and you're just doing it to be obtuse. And again, Frankie isn't the only mma'er I'm citing. Contrary to your philosophy, many top level fighters do the "big three" including their favorite variations, and are quite strong in them.

A variation of deadlift is still a deadlift. TS makes no distinction, and you're just doing it to be obtuse. And again, Frankie isn't the only mma'er I'm citing. Contrary to your philosophy, many top level fighters do the "big three" including their favorite variations, and are quite strong in them.
TS is probably talking about your numbers in squat and deadlift, and in this forum he's probably referring to traditional powerlifting squat and deadlift. And that's what I was referring to. Traditional deadlift and barbell back squat.

And I stand by what I said, the powerlifters in this forum probably have better numbers than many of the top fighters.

And plenty of belt holders do not do traditional deadlift and barbell back squats in training camp. They are typically doing more explosive work and conditioning.

Personally I'd like to see more focus on biomechanics and quality of movements during S&C. Prehab and strength training should be the same in my view. A healthy and strong athlete with good control of movement is an athlete that performs well.
What would that S&C program look like, in your opinion (what selection of exercises and with what kind of loading schemes)?

. A lot of them have already reached the point of diminishing returns so they no longer do the exercise

Can you clarify this? If you stop doing a lift wont you loose the strength you have built up? If you get up to a 400lb squat, and then stop for the rest of the year, it wont stay 400lbs for very long. So are they just stopping cold turkey or are they still doing it, but for maintenance?

I'm with u man I don't see how they could stop doing those lifts and maintain there strength I was just curious as to what the top guys are doing and numbers anddd what would most of u guys change as far as there strength and con goes

TS is probably talking about your numbers in squat and deadlift, and in this forum he's probably referring to traditional powerlifting squat and deadlift. And that's what I was referring to. Traditional deadlift and barbell back squat.

And I stand by what I said, the powerlifters in this forum probably have better numbers than many of the top fighters.

And plenty of belt holders do not do traditional deadlift and barbell back squats in training camp. They are typically doing more explosive work and conditioning.

The fact that we have some excellent powerlifters here doesn't mean that mma has weak guys, that's just foolish. Looking at the numbers for several fighters, I see guys who are well above average strength. And again, you've ignored all the examples I've given, instead just reiterating your baseless claim that fighters don't squat or deadlift, which can be demonstrated to be false. It's okay that you're stuck on bodyweight stuff, but there's no need or benefit to you being dishonest.

The fact that we have some excellent powerlifters here doesn't mean that mma has weak guys, that's just foolish. Looking at the numbers for several fighters, I see guys who are well above average strength. And again, you've ignored all the examples I've given, instead just reiterating your baseless claim that fighters don't squat or deadlift, which can be demonstrated to be false. It's okay that you're stuck on bodyweight stuff, but there's no need or benefit to you being dishonest.
I'm not dishonest. Most of the top fighters are training very differently than the guys in this forum.

And you're putting words in my mouth.

I never said the top fighters were weak or don't have above average strength. You just made that up. Who is being dishonest here?

Back