Tim Sylvia fun fact

ADD7469B-21E3-4F4C-8A29-9738715F7B78.jpeg “Dropping the chilli”

Eh.. Most aging / retired mma fighters have a bad looking lose or two on their records..

The Mercier one is pretty ugly tho... Never understood why Timmy didn’t at least try to clinch and wear him down for a while..

He just marched forward and threw that lazy left jab he was known for and got his head knocked off his shoulders..

No way. Go back and watch Tim shut down Ricco and Monson. Randy was able to do what he did because he had the striking to fuck up Tim's rhythm. Brock would've just tried to bull rush him and Tim would've shut that shit down and fed him jabs and one-twos all night.

As far as TDs and wresting go, Monson and Lesnar aren't comparable. Plus Tim was already declining by that point, and Randy gave Brock a great blueprint to beat Sylvia. If Brock can beat Carwin (FAR better TD and more powerful striking than Tim) and Mark Hunt, he can take Sylvia. To say otherwise is just showing your bias.

Would have been weird if he got destroyed in 10 seconds by a washed up boxer in 9 seconds.

Even more weird if he would have been destroyed in 10 seconds by a boxer washed up on the shore.

I'd respect Timmy if he'd do some inverted piggybacks with Akinwale Arobieke.

One of the craziest nights I can remember as a fan. Lol @ saying that and having Handy put him on his ass seconds into the fight.

It's a lot less impressive when you know Randy took that fight because he knew Tim had serious back problems and could barely move.

The MMA fraternity were so traumatized and butthurt over what Ray Mercer did to Tim Sylvia that the UFC ended up paying an obese, brain damaged James Toney $500k to roll over against Randy Couture.

<36>

I’m pretty sure the record for this will always be held by Mr. Bob Sapp

I don't think it's possible for Sylvia to 'stay in shape'. Even when he was 'in shape' he wasnt in good shape. Luckily he was just so damn big he didnt have to use a ton of energy to keep dudes off of him, so he could just plod forward with jabs and set up big punches from like a mile away with his insane reach.
He was in great shape for his fights with Rico Rodriguez, Gan McGree, Cabbage, etc. Granted, he popped for winstrol after thee McGee fight.

As far as TDs and wresting go, Monson and Lesnar aren't comparable. Plus Tim was already declining by that point, and Randy gave Brock a great blueprint to beat Sylvia. If Brock can beat Carwin (FAR better TD and more powerful striking than Tim) and Mark Hunt, he can take Sylvia. To say otherwise is just showing your bias.
To be fair, Lesnar defeated Carwin because the latter used up all his energy in the first round in a fight that should've been a TKO victory for Carwin. That being said, I think Lesnar would defeat Sylvia with relative ease.

I noticed a interesting pattern on Timmy's record
Timmy got stopped 5(five) times within 1 minute of the fight
Frank Mir-50 seconds
Andrei Arlovski-47 seconds
Fedor Emelianenko-36 seconds
Ray Mercer-9 seconds
Abe Wagner-32 seconds

2mr7gwm.gif

48399c339a265113e82f441fd674ac08.gif

LankyBabyishDogwoodclubgall.gif

2vw8qph.jpg

31291k3.jpg

I don't think anyone else lost so many times under 1 minute
Timmy bless
that actually is interesting. Wow

The horrific grammar and spelling is strong in this thread. Sherdog never change!

I truly believe that if Sylvia stayed in shape and didn't burn bridges, he would of been one of the greats.
Inaccurate. But I'm gonna let it ride due to your AV .

I truly believe that if Sylvia stayed in shape and didn't burn bridges, he would of been one of the greats.

he should be considered one now. lots of people consider Cain a HW great just on pure potential.

here's another fun Tim Sylvia fact, he's fought the same amount of the CURRENT top 10 HWs that Cain has, difference is Sylvia retired 5 years ago.

Sylvia has accomplished more based on not being totally spoonfed opponents like Cain has and having more than twice as many wins as Cain has fights.

1ea93c9212c8c1ae6a160a64b7fcb3bc.png

He was fighting a boxer who could hit, shoot for the sodding takedown don't try to stand with him

it's hard to shoot for a takedown when you're damn near 7ft tall and the other guy is much shorter.

As far as TDs and wresting go, Monson and Lesnar aren't comparable.

Credentials-wise, maybe not, but stylistically, in the context of an MMA match-up, they both present Tim with identical threats, namely takedowns. Neither one poses any threat to Tim on the feet, and on the ground, Monson is actually the more dangerous opponent due to his submission pedigree. Hell, with Tim's guard and his reach/length, even if Brock did manage to put Tim on his back, Tim could've very well ended up triangling or ambarring him, as his submission game was solid and his guard work, both offensive and defensive, was always on point.

Even talking about a fight where he was almost completely dominated, when Tim had Randy in his guard, he not only reduced Randy's offense to virtually nothing with his reach and his grip, he also landed a number of good punches and elbows from off his back and threatened Randy on more than one occasion with submissions.

In short, Tim Sylvia is not Mark Hunt. Even assuming that Brock would've been able to get Tim to the ground - which is a hell of an assumption - his troubles wouldn't have been over by any means.

Plus Tim was already declining by that point

True, which is why, if we're talking about Brock/Tim in say 2008, then I have a much easier time seeing Brock's speed and explosiveness potentially allowing him to get in on Tim and put him on his back. But even in decline Tim still would've presented a significant physical and stylistic challenge for Brock, and, though I wouldn't have been surprised to see Brock win, I still would've given Tim the advantage and picked him to win.

If, on the other hand, we're going full fantasy match-up and we're talking about Brock stepping into the cage against prime Tim, the Tim that used Cabbage's head as a speed bag and made Ricco look like he never wrestled a day in his life, then not only does Brock not land a single TD, he probably doesn't even survive to the cards.

Randy gave Brock a great blueprint to beat Sylvia.

You honestly think Brock would've - could've - followed that blueprint? The guy who'd flinch and tuck tail every time someone would flick a jab at him? If you think Brock's going to step in and outstrike Tim Sylvia, then you're either failing to give Randy's striking ability the credit it deserves or you're vastly overrating Brock's striking ability. Either way, this blueprint argument is irrelevant in Brock's case because at no point in his MMA career did he ever have the skill set needed to put a plan like that into action.

If Brock can beat Carwin (FAR better TD and more powerful striking than Tim) and Mark Hunt, he can take Sylvia.

@acannxr already explained the problem with your Carwin point. As for Hunt, you think because Brock was able to take down and control a guy with nonexistent TDD who's half a foot shorter than him that he would've been able to take down and control a guy with fantastic TDD who's half a foot taller than him?

To say otherwise is just showing your bias.

And what bias would that be? Pro-Tim bias, anti-Brock bias, or both? I'm just curious in what direction you think I'm biased.

In all honesty, I don't have a dog in this fight. It's true that I give Tim more credit than most on here (which means: I give him the credit that he deserves), but there's only one person who's ever posted on Sherdog who you could accurately level a pro-Tim bias accusation against and be justified, and I'm not that person. As for Brock, I'm far from a Brock hater. I wanted Randy to pull off the win, but I rooted for Brock against every other opponent he faced. I was supremely impressed by his obliteration of Frank Mir in their rematch, was thrilled to see him stage the comeback against Carwin, and hated seeing him fall to Cain and Overeem the way he did.

No matter the angle, there's no bias. I just genuinely believe that Tim's physical attributes and his brand of sprawl-and-brawl would've presented Brock with a huge - and, IMHO, insurmountable - challenge.

I have another fun fact. I was at a restaurant and say they had a hamburger challenge with a giant burger. I saw Tim's face on the wall claiming he ate it in less then a minute. It also said he ate the fries after and a shake.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back