Tim Sylvia fun fact

Think he took "work smarter, not harder" too seriously.

Going back a bit:

It is extremely rare that straight Achilles lock finishes a MMA fight in major event. I can only think of Aoki vs Kawajiri
Its across the body whuch from my grapplinf experience puts immense pressure on the patella/knee as well as ankle. I have tapped to that quite a few times and it's due to the angle the knee winds up on as much as the Achilles lock aspect
I just realized to tapped to an achilles lock. Sad

Plus, merit of the move notwithstanding, it's also important to keep in mind the psychological aspect with Tim coming fresh off of that gruesome Mir snappage. IIRC, he admitted in the cage that he tapped quick because he didn't want to get hurt again. Whether or not he could've fought his way out of that hold, the fact that he had that submission injury right at the front of his mind makes it easy to understand why he tapped and tapped so fast.

offtopic, but then couture went and pulled off his domination of gonzaga who had just butchered crocop coming fresh from winning the owgp
that hw comeback was something

And even after that spectacular upset win over Tim, I was still scared for Randy heading into the Gonzaga fight. Stylistically speaking, there was no way that Randy should've won that fight. Especially after the elbow clinic Gonzaga put on Cro Cop, I was worried that Randy would take another beating on the ground like the one Ricco put on him. Gonzaga was big and strong and had solid takedowns; I figured he'd come out and try to beat Randy to the takedown the way Ricco did and just GNP the life out of him. I also had in the back of my mind those quick submission losses to Enson Inoue and Valentijn Overeem from way back in the day. And then, to top it off, you've got Gonzaga having just Cro Copped Cro Cop. On the feet or on the ground, Randy should've been toast.

That's why I think the Gonzaga fight is the best showcase for Randy's ability to game plan. He found the one spot where he'd be safe and could do damage and managed to stay there and do serious work. In tight, Gonzaga couldn't bomb on him with strikes, but while grappling on the feet, he also couldn't catch him with a submission. And by constantly making Gonzaga fight off inside trips and body locks and mixing in nasty dirty boxing, Randy just straight up outworked him. An absolute masterclass in strategy and execution.

To be fair, he was right. I'm a huge Randy fan, but I was terrified for him going into that fight. When he went on that short-lived "Inside the UFC" show that Joe Rogan hosted on Spike and announced (by pointing at either a cardboard cutout or a poster image of Tim) that he was coming out of retirement to fight "the big man," I yelled at the screen, "Are you out of your mind?!"

Barnett and Ricco beat him down, then he goes to LHW and retires on two KO losses to Chuck, then he decides to come back and fight a gigantic striker with phenomenal TDD? I was rooting for Randy, but I was absolutely certain that it'd be a repeat of Tim/Ricco. I didn't think there was any way that Randy would be able to deal with Tim's striking ability/power and I didn't think he'd be able to get inside to secure any takedowns.

I was never as happy to be wrong as I was that night :D

QFT. When Randy dropped Tim, I jumped up and didn't even notice that I'd remained standing for the entire round. After the round ended, one of the friends I'd ordered the PPV with joked, "You can sit down now," but I told him that I wasn't sitting down until Randy won. I stood for the next 20 minutes losing my shit every time Randy landed a punch or hit a takedown.

Not bad for an old man, indeed. Along with Cro Cop winning the OWGP, Randy reclaiming the HW belt was the best night I've experienced as an MMA fan.

No way. Go back and watch Tim shut down Ricco and Monson. Randy was able to do what he did because he had the striking to fuck up Tim's rhythm. Brock would've just tried to bull rush him and Tim would've shut that shit down and fed him jabs and one-twos all night.
Brock would maul him
Get easy takedowns on him
Agree with other written.

Tank got stopped in 0:52 by Vitor, 0:46 by Mir, 0:43 by Buentello and 0:43 by Kimbo. That's only 4 times in the first minute so it turns out that Big Tim really is the GOAT of this category.

Timmy is the only guy who can win a belt and be champ, make lots of money, and everyone still feels bad for the guy.

Hopefully Timmy found his self confidence. He must have been teased as a kid like a mother fucker. His mental state was crushed.

31291k3.jpg

I don't think anyone else lost so many times under 1 minute
Timmy bless
The so-called "Kung Fu Film" defense - flail your arms in front of your face rapidly in the hope that you can parry all incoming punches. Doesn't work.

I noticed a interesting pattern on Timmy's record
Timmy got stopped 5(five) times within 1 minute of the fight
Frank Mir-50 seconds
Andrei Arlovski-47 seconds
Fedor Emelianenko-36 seconds
Ray Mercer-9 seconds
Abe Wagner-32 seconds

2mr7gwm.gif

48399c339a265113e82f441fd674ac08.gif

LankyBabyishDogwoodclubgall.gif

2vw8qph.jpg

31291k3.jpg

I don't think anyone else lost so many times under 1 minute
Timmy bless
The bigger they are. The Zulu'er they fall.

It is extremely rare that straight Achilles lock finishes a MMA fight in major event. I can only think of Aoki vs Kawajiri
I remember he did an interview saying he was extra cautious bc of Mir breaking his arm and him not even feeling it. he didn't want to risk it.

Fun fact: He shit on himself in the cage.

So cringe when he tried to box with Mercer.

I remember at the pre-press conference. Tim said something similar to he wanted to enter boxing and Mercer was his way in. Tim believed he was going to outbox Mercer.

Wasn't the fight at first planned to be a boxing match ?

I truly believe that if Sylvia stayed in shape and didn't burn bridges, he would of been one of the greats.
I don't think it's possible for Sylvia to 'stay in shape'. Even when he was 'in shape' he wasnt in good shape. Luckily he was just so damn big he didnt have to use a ton of energy to keep dudes off of him, so he could just plod forward with jabs and set up big punches from like a mile away with his insane reach.

Added to that Randy dropped Tim early and so did Arlovski in the second fight.

The latter post Fedor stuff when he was way out of shape I don't think is that relevant but even in his prime Tim was obviously vunerable early in fights before he found his range and started to exploit his massive reach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back