Tim Sylvia fun fact

Sylvia thought he was gonna run right through Couture also which backfired.

I remember an interview before the Couture fight.

Timmy said "Randy has problems with big heavyweights and strikers, and I'm both".

Oops.

Tim might be one of the worst fighters to ever become champion in the UFC. Well relatively modern day champion not counting the bum fights.

I don't think anyone else lost so many times under 1 minute

I just checked, because I seem to remember when his chin went, and Travis Wiuff has also been knocked out five times in under a minute.

He has 10 more knockout defeats in his career besides that. It doesn't seem like a good idea that he made a comeback earlier this year. :confused:

Timmy said "Randy has problems with big heavyweights and strikers, and I'm both".

Oops.
One of the craziest nights I can remember as a fan. Lol @ saying that and having Handy put him on his ass seconds into the fight.

I just checked, because I seem to remember when his chin went, and Travis Wiuff has also been knocked out five times in under a minute.

He has 10 more knockout defeats in his career besides that. It doesn't seem like a good idea that he made a comeback earlier this year. :confused:
I checked now,actually 6 to his losing record in 1 minute
Don't know what he's doing,15 ko loses

just amazing how fedor cleaner the floor with him. seems his power has diminished quite a lot over the years.

Nah, nothing amazing about it. Mir and AA both finished him faster before that fight. Even when Tim was a good fighter, he was inconsistent and his Fight IQ ranged from "good" to "horrible."

Would have been weird if he got destroyed in 10 seconds by a washed up boxer in 9 seconds.
What if he got destroyed in 5 seconds by a washed up boxer in 9 seconds though?

Tim might be one of the worst fighters to ever become champion in the UFC. Well relatively modern day champion not counting the bum fights.
I dno man I don't think Tim was that bad when he was champ. I mean he wasn't awesome but he wasn't crap.

Would have been weird if he got destroyed in 10 seconds by a washed up boxer in 9 seconds.

To be fair, it was supposed to be a boxing match that was changed to MMA rules at the last moment due to state regulations. Mercer begged Sylvia to make a gentleman's agreement to keep it standing, and he may have obliged. I believe Tim threw one lazy leg kick then closed the distance to trade hands--terrible move. If Kimbo could submit Mercer, I'm sure even a fat, older Tim could have if he followed a better gameplan.

I remember Tim saying the UFC wouldn't let him fight Brock and being upset (supposedly it's one reason he left). Brock was a horrible match-up for him, though. He'd do the same thing Randy did to him, only easier. Tim lacked the TDD or one-punch KO power to threaten Lesnar.

Oops.

To be fair, he was right. I'm a huge Randy fan, but I was terrified for him going into that fight. When he went on that short-lived "Inside the UFC" show that Joe Rogan hosted on Spike and announced (by pointing at either a cardboard cutout or a poster image of Tim) that he was coming out of retirement to fight "the big man," I yelled at the screen, "Are you out of your mind?!"

Barnett and Ricco beat him down, then he goes to LHW and retires on two KO losses to Chuck, then he decides to come back and fight a gigantic striker with phenomenal TDD? I was rooting for Randy, but I was absolutely certain that it'd be a repeat of Tim/Ricco. I didn't think there was any way that Randy would be able to deal with Tim's striking ability/power and I didn't think he'd be able to get inside to secure any takedowns.

I was never as happy to be wrong as I was that night :D

One of the craziest nights I can remember as a fan.

QFT. When Randy dropped Tim, I jumped up and didn't even notice that I'd remained standing for the entire round. After the round ended, one of the friends I'd ordered the PPV with joked, "You can sit down now," but I told him that I wasn't sitting down until Randy won. I stood for the next 20 minutes losing my shit every time Randy landed a punch or hit a takedown.

Not bad for an old man, indeed. Along with Cro Cop winning the OWGP, Randy reclaiming the HW belt was the best night I've experienced as an MMA fan.

I remember Tim saying the UFC wouldn't let him fight Brock and being upset (supposedly it's one reason he left). Brock was a horrible match-up for him, though. He'd do the same thing Randy did to him, only easier. Tim lacked the TDD or one-punch KO power to threaten Lesnar.

No way. Go back and watch Tim shut down Ricco and Monson. Randy was able to do what he did because he had the striking to fuck up Tim's rhythm. Brock would've just tried to bull rush him and Tim would've shut that shit down and fed him jabs and one-twos all night.

Not bad for an old man, indeed. Along with Cro Cop winning the OWGP, Randy reclaiming the HW belt was the best night I've experienced as an MMA fan.
offtopic, but then couture went and pulled off his domination of gonzaga who had just butchered crocop coming fresh from winning the owgp
that hw comeback was something

Back