There should be more great Christmas movies

Lethal Weapon
Lethal_weapon1.jpg

Die Hard
Die_hard.jpg

Now that you mention it, it does seem like there's a lack of ability among the current Hollywood big shots and nothing really significant was made that you'd imagine being re-run every xmas in the future.

It's a Wonderful Life is on next week.

That's gotta count for something.

Now that you mention it, it does seem like there's a lack of ability among the current Hollywood big shots and nothing really significant was made that you'd imagine being re-run every xmas in the future.

Exactly! It's like somewhere along the way they just forgot how to make Christmas classics.

Think about it. . .

Notable Christmas Films of the 1980s

A Christmas Story
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
A Christmas Carol (1984)
Santa Claus: The Movie (not great as an adult, but good for kids)
Prancer (same as above, not good for adults but good for kids)
Scrooged
Mickey's Christmas Carol
. . . and if you want to include them (I don't because they're not really Christmas movies): Gremlins, Die Hard, Lethal Weapon

Notable Christmas Films of the 1990s

Home Alone
The Santa Clause
Jingle All the Way
A Christmas Carol (1999)
The Muppet Christmas Carol
Miracle on 34th Street (not as good as the original IMO, but a solid Christmas film in its own right)
. . . and if you want to include them (again, I don't): The Nightmare Before Christmas, Edward Scissorhands, Batman Returns

Notable Christmas Films of the 2000s (a surprisingly good decade for these films)

Elf
The Polar Express
Bad Santa
Love Actually
How the Grinch Stole Christmas
Christmas With the Kranks
A Christmas Carol (1999)
The Family Man
Joyeux Noel
Four Christmases
. . . and I know at least one poster ITT would put Fred Claus and Deck the Halls on the list as well

Notable Christmas Films of the 2010s

I got nothing. I've heard good things about Arthur Christmas and The Night Before, but can't vouch for them personally. And if you're the type to including something like Harold and Kumar (I'm not), then there's that. Even if we allow all those, that's only three movies in eight years.

So yeah, it's like something happened and Hollywood basically decided to take the decade off.

National Lampoons Xmas Vacation
Home Alone
Christmas Story
Gremlins
Elf
Rudolph (the classic puppet claymation thing)
Bad Santa
Babes in Toyland

These are all good.

I know some people do and I don't really understand it. It's an action movie that is setting during Christmastime, rather than a movie that's really about Christmas.

Wait, are you seriously trying to suggest Die Hard isn't a Christmas movie? The fuck is wrong with you? Also, what other holiday has as many quality movies as Christmas?

I've heard Arthur Christmas was alright. Never seen it myself though.

Watch it, its really good. Its on netflix. Made by Aardman Animations, same company that did Wallace and Gromit.

Wait, are you seriously trying to suggest Die Hard isn't a Christmas movie? The fuck is wrong with you? Also, what other holiday has as many quality movies as Christmas?

Die Hard's not a Christmas movie, bro. Christmas movie's don't involve terrorists and copious death counts.

Well, I've been looking forward to Bad Santa 2

Well, I've been looking forward to Bad Santa 2

I think I am.

I was also looking forward to Anchorman 2, Zoolander 2, Dumb and Dumber To...

These late blooming comedy sequels have been nothing but disappointments, so I'm keeping my expectations in check with Bad Santa 2.

I think I am.

I was also looking forward to Anchorman 2, Zoolander 2, Dumb and Dumber To...

These late blooming comedy sequels have been nothing but disappointments, so I'm keeping my expectations in check with Bad Santa 2.

I've seen Bad Santa 2. My only advice is to go in with low expectations and then you might enjoy it.

I loved Anchorman 2 though. I never get the criticism for that one.

Arthur Christmas was a great movie! I was surprised I had heard so little about it!

Krampus is the best Christmas movie of the 2010's ;)

Back