There should be more great Christmas movies

G

Guestx

Seriously, there should.

December is here and I'm like, "Okay, time to break out the Christmas movies!" The only problem is that I've seen all the good ones a hundred times. Christmas has been around since before the dawn of the motion picture so the film industry has had about a hundred years to produce great Christmas classics, but in reality we only have a handful.

You have your old B&W classics of course, like It's a Wonderful Life, Miracle on 34th Street and the 1951 adaptation of A Christmas Carol. And then you have your modern classics, like Christmas Vacation, Elf and A Christmas Story. Then you have those that aren't really classics but they're charming enough to watch during the season, like Jingle All the Way, The Polar Express and Christmas with the Kranks.

But when you add them all up, relatively speaking, it just amounts of a small collection of films. And furthermore, to make matters worse, this collection is added to only at a painfully slow rate.

Think about it: When was the last time a really great Christmas movie came out? I enjoyed the '09 version of A Christmas Carol with Jim Carrey. But other than that, the most recent that are coming to mind are Elf and Bad Santa . . . and those came out 13 fucking years ago!

So what's the deal, bros? Where are all the great Christmas movies of our time? And is anyone else as disturbed about this as I am?

Christmas movie market is saturated. We need more Life Day movies.

I think there might be an opening for a non-demoninational non-CIS gender-free late-December adventure with a black teenage female Santa.

I think there might be an opening for a non-demoninational non-CIS gender-free late-December adventure with a black teenage female Santa.

Bruh, flip that switch in your head and give me a patented BMMA serious answer. I know you probably have something thoughtful and worthwhile to say on the topic and I'd like to hear it.

I consider the first Harry Potter a Christmas movie and I watch it every year.

Bruh, flip that switch in your head and give me a patented BMMA serious answer. I know you probably have something thoughtful and worthwhile to say on the topic and I'd like to hear it.

I agree. I was in the movie store today browsing the Christmas movies.... not much to choose from.

Elf is a classic. Santa Clause with Tim Allen- classic....outside of that though? Not much.

l2JhMVqxP0q8pc556.gif

Last edited:
I like Love Actually. Yeah, I said that.

I agree. I was in bullmoose today browsing the Christmas movies.... not much to choose from.

Elf is a classic. Santa Clause with Tim Allen- classic....outside of that though? Not much.

l2JhMVqxP0q8pc556.gif

Here's one thing that's interesting. In 2003, three Christmas movies came out that went on to be warmly received both critically and in terms of box office receipts:

Elf (84% on RT; made $220 million on a $33 million budget)
Bad Santa (78% on RT; made $76 million on a $23 million budget)
Love Actually (63% on RT; made $246 million on a $40 million budget)

That's three movies--THREE!--during a single Christmas season that went on to become beloved holiday films. And yet, since then, most years haven't even produced ONE.

Missing some classics like Home Alone, Gremlins, and Scrooged.

As far as recent Christmas movies, I liked Krampus and The Night Before. But yeah, there should be more.

i agree. i like christmas and want to watch a christmas movie sometimes, but i cant think of a single one i would like to watch, nor can i find any relatively new ones that have half decent ratings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back