There should be more great Christmas movies

Here's one thing that's interesting. In 2003, three Christmas movies came out that went on to be warmly received both critically and in terms of box office receipts:

Elf (84% on RT; made $220 million on a $33 million budget)
Bad Santa (78% on RT; made $76 million on a $23 million budget)
Love Actually (63% on RT; made $246 million on a $40 million budget)

That's three movies--THREE!--during a single Christmas season that went on to become beloved holiday films. And yet, since then, most years haven't even produced ONE.

I have never seen Love Actually. Will have to google...though the title already doesn't really sit well with me from the get go.

My generation's Christmas movie is goat.

A_Christmas_Story_film_poster.jpg

Bruh, flip that switch in your head and give me a patented BMMA serious answer. I know you probably have something thoughtful and worthwhile to say on the topic and I'd like to hear it.

Well...if you were in charge of allocating $20M in movie funding and your job depended on that $20M turning a profit...would you invest in a Christmas movie and, if so, what would be your justification?

Surprised the SJWs have not called for it to be banned yet.

The Dad's a buffoon where the mother is wise, the lamp that objectifies women gets smashed, the male children are shown to be sex-obsessed gun-toting violent profane freaks from the moment they exit the womb. It's ahead of its time and allowed to stay.

The problem is that the movies now are either geared towards children or try to be 'extreme' but end up corny. That 'office xmas party' looks awful. There's Bad Santa 2, but i don't see how that isn't just going to be a rip off of the first one, which i liked.

Well...if you were in charge of allocating $20M in movie funding and your job depended on that $20M turning a profit...would you invest in a Christmas movie and, if so, what would be your justification?

Plenty of movies come out every year. Some turn profits, some don't. Christmas movies, like horror movies, more often than not tend to do well against their budgets provided the movies themselves are not abysmal (i.e. receive good critical scores and positive word of mouth).

Let's look at just a few examples from the past 30 or so years (these are worldwide grosses BTW). Some of them were smash hits. Some were more modest successes. But I'm sure you'll agree that, especially once we add in revenue from home video rentals and sales, TV rights, any merchandise licensing, etc that they all turned a profit and in some cases a very handsome one.

What I think it demonstrates is that there's a very real appetite for these films during the holidays. If anything, you have to fuck a Christmas movie up pretty badly to NOT make money.

The Santa Clause

Budget: $22 Million
Box Office: $189 Million

The Night Before

Budget: $25 Million
Box Office: $52 Million

Elf

Budget: $33 Million
Box Office: $220 Million

Four Christmases

Budget: $80 Million
Box Office: $163 Million

How the Grinch Stole Christmas

Budget: $123 Million
Box Office: $345 Million

Love Actually

Budget: $40 Million
Box Office: $240 Million

The Family Man

Budget: $60 Million
Box Office: $124 Million

Bad Santa

Budget: $23 Million
Box Office: $76 Million

Home Alone

Budget: $18 Million
Box Office: $476 Million

Jingle All the Way

Budget: $60 Million
Box Office: $129 Million

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

Budget: $25 Million
Box Office: $71 Million

The Polar Express

Budget: $175 Million
Box Office: $307 Million

A few things here. . .

1. I've seen a good many of them. Some on that list aren't really Christmas movies. (Maniac Cop 2? Lethal Weapon? Die Hard? Being set during Christmas does not make them Christmas movies). And some are so old that they're only going to appeal to me as a historical curiosity.

2. Nearly all of the made-for-TV and DTV Christmas movies are fucking terrible. Networks like The Hallmark Channel and ABC Family churn out dozens of them every year, but here's the kicker: They are not good. I have tried to watch them and they are almost all shitty love stories that usually go something like this: Lonely divorced mom gets a magical Christmas present in the form of a man to love her. Which leads me to my next point. . .

3. The thread title is "There should be more GREAT Christmas movies." Emphasis on the great. Can you name even FIVE great Christmas movies from past decade? Or hell, even five really good ones? I thought A Christmas Carol (2009) and Four Christmases (2008) were pretty good, but that's it. That's all I got. You?

Seems like Hollywood has increased the amount of xmas movies a year to about 3-4

how many more do you want?

Like I said, I don't consider a lot of what's on that list to be legitimate Christmas movies. Tangerine is certainly not. Horror films, even if they're Christmas themed, are not what I mean when I say "Christmas movies." And then you have shit like Nativity 3: Dude, Where's My Donkey, and I hope it's obvious why I'm choosing to ignore its existence.

If anything, the list you posted just proves my point: Not much at all has come out in the past several years in terms of quality Christmas entertainment.

Last edited by a moderator:
A few things here. . .

1. I've seen a good many of them. Some on that list aren't really Christmas movies. (Maniac Cop 2? Lethal Weapon? Die Hard? Being set during Christmas does not make them Christmas movies). And some are so old that they're only going to appeal to me as a historical curiosity.

2. Nearly all of the made-for-TV and DTV Christmas movies are fucking terrible. Networks like The Hallmark Channel and ABC Family churn dozens of them every year, but here's the kicker: They are not good! I have tried to watch them and they are almost all shitty love stories that usually go something like this: Lonely divorced mom gets a magical Christmas present in the form of a man to love her. Which leads me to my next point. . .

3. The thread title is "There should be more GREAT Christmas movies." Emphasis on the great. Can you name even FIVE great Christmas movies from past decade? Or hell, even five really good ones? I thought A Christmas Carol (2009) and Four Christmases (2008) were pretty good, but that's it. That's all I got. You?

Like I said, I don't consider a lot of what's on that list to be legitimate Christmas movies. Tangerine is certainly not. Horror films, even if they're Christmas themed, are not what I mean when I say "Christmas movies." And then you have shit like Nativity 3: Dude, Where's My Donkey, and I hope it's obvious why I'm choosing to ignore its existence.

If anything, the list you posted just proves my point: Not much at all has come out in the past several years in terms of quality Christmas entertainment.

Well i think most people here would consider die hard a christmas movie

But to succinct the conversation -- the term great is subjective and something you didn't like, others will

and i really liked arthur christmas, Harold and Kumar christmas and i thought Krampus and Love The Coopers were very good.

I guess it comes down to what people like.

edit -- if we are going back a decade im adding a christmas carol , fred claus and deck the halls.

Well i think most people here would consider die hard a christmas movie

I know some people do and I don't really understand it. It's an action movie that is setting during Christmastime, rather than a movie that's really about Christmas.

But to succinct the conversation -- the term great is subjective and something you didn't like, others will

and i really liked arthur christmas, Harold and Kumar christmas and i thought Krampus and Love The Coopers were very good.

I guess it comes down to what people like.

Yeah, it's true, I mean maybe some people think that Nativity 2: Danger in the Manger is a fucking great film. Of course it's all subjective. But even here, you came up with four titles. Four quality titles in a decade is not that great.

I know some people do and I don't really understand it. It's an action movie that is setting during Christmastime, rather than a movie that's really about Christmas.

Yeah, it's true, I mean maybe some people think that Nativity 2: Danger in the Manger is a fucking great film. Of course it's all subjective. But even here, you came up with four titles. Four quality titles in a decade is not that great.

i didnt see that you said "in the last decade" to name five so i added 3 more.

7 good to great christmas movies in 10 years is not that bad considering its a niche market that has one relevant month to be released

You listed a slew of shit, and then left out Scrooged. Hell is wrong with you?

My three Christmas movies:

Scrooged
Christmas Story
Bad Santa

i didnt see that you said "in the last decade" to name five so i added 3 more.

7 good to great christmas movies in 10 years is not that bad considering its a niche market that has one relevant month to be released

Indeed. I would disagree about Fred Claus and would certainly disagree about Deck the Halls, but as you say it all comes down to what people like.

Personally, I'd like one a year though. One legitimately solid, entertaining, re-watchable Christmas movie per year (averaged out). I'd be satisfied with that.

Christmas Story
Scrooged
Christmas Vacation
Silent Night Deadly Night
Gremlins
Die Hard

Was Dutch with Ed O'neil a Christmas movie?

Christmas Story
Scrooged
Christmas Vacation
Silent Night Deadly Night
Gremlins
Die Hard

Was Dutch with Ed O'neil a Christmas movie?

I regard three of those as Christmas movies. And three as movies that are merely set during Christmas.

Die Hard
Gremlins
Blackadder's Christmas Carol

Those are my 3 that do the rounds every year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back