Nintendo The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild official thread

2 handed charge attacks become crazy OP if you have 3 stamina wheels and the gerudo boost

i beat the "major test of strength" with a single charge attack with a lynel crusher and take like half of a white mane lynel before having to stop to avoid getting hit

each spin does damage and for most enemies, does a hit stun, and with 3 stamina wheels, you can just do it almost indefinitely. if the enemy is coming out of the hit stun, release the charge attack and the gerudo boost stuns them long enough to start another charge attack and do it again. with strong 2 handed weapons like lynel and guardian weapons, i have to stop doing it or it becomes too easy

Easiest way to get star fragments is just find a big flat area with a couple teleport points throughout, build a fire, and wait til night. Star fragments only appear on full moons I believe, so just sit by a fire until it's the full moon, grab the fragment, then pass 8 more days, repeat.

the shrine on the top of dueling peaks (forgot name of the shrine, but its the southern one out of the 3) is where i farmed star fragments to max out the breath of the wild armor. they always spawn on full moon but have a chance to spawn on other moons

you can also ask the guy at the dueling peaks stables what moon cycle it is if you lose track

sidenote: if you get one and then continuously wait until night time, they wont spawn, the game has to go into a day cycle for it to register that its a new night. you have to wait until noon every day, then fast travel to the spot where you wait until night. i made that mistake and wasted a lot of time trying to get stars to respawn...

It's tempting but the Barbarian outfit just looks like crap to me. Maybe without the helmet it'd be cool but then you don't get the bonus.

I get away with doing it on Lynels quite well. Use stasis+ and get behind them to start your spin, then make sure to move away from its weapon as you keep spinning. You can get in a decent amount, just have to watch out for their returning strike while you finish up the smash animation at the end of the spin.

picking aesthetics vs functionality is hard for me

i love the maxed climbing gear with 3 stam wheels, as i literally just jump up any climbable surface and have yet to not make it, but it looks so dumb

my favorite appearance hylian tunic+hylian hood dyed green with stock hylian trousers

but once i got the breath of the wild gear, i swapped the tunic and hat, kept the hylian trousers tho

barbarian armor is the best for battle, unless you want to do ancient armor+ancient weapons, but the helmet looks SO stupid

farming lynels gets really easy once you learn their patterns, the only time i ever get hit is when the lynel has a club, sometimes i get overzealous and get hit by its aoe attack

-stasis
-shoot in face
-run to side
-spam attacks (i never mount)

then after that it depends on the weapon

if its one handed+ shield, stand in front of him and backflip his attacks. i almost always get a flurry rush on the 2nd attack. the real purpose isnt just to do damage, but by the time the flurry rush ends, stasis has replenished and you can do it again. i dont use stasis yet, as he will usually try to stand in front of me and swipe me again, so i just dodge+flurry rush.

i wait for him to run away, then when he charges back in, i use stasis and redo the method. i never get hit by one handeds

with club and spear, its the same system, except that its harder to dodge attacks up close, as he does an aoe thats undodgeable. for those ones, after i stasis->arrow->attack, i just run away just outside his reach so he ends up doing his running attacks, and then dodge those for a flurry rush

Not a bad strategy overall, but mounting and attacking is the preferred method because the mounted attacks don't decrease weapon durability at all. If you have enough weapons that you don't mind them breaking then either one works.

You casul plebs and your little stasis tricks for Lynel. REAL MEN fight Lynel head on.

You casul plebs and your little stasis tricks for Lynel. REAL MEN fight Lynel head on.

You sound like a n3wb who doesn't know how to use stasis+ to its fullest :p

My personal favorite is using it on Bokoblins riding horses. Just try it, trust me.

Not a bad strategy overall, but mounting and attacking is the preferred method because the mounted attacks don't decrease weapon durability at all. If you have enough weapons that you don't mind them breaking then either one works.

It usually takes less than mastersword+lynel sword for me to kill even silverhead lynels

The thing about mounting is that you get thrown off without enough time for stasis to recharge and you are often far enough that the lynel uses his running attacks rather than his stationary melee attacks which are much easier to flurry rush

You sound like a n3wb who doesn't know how to use stasis+ to its fullest :p

My personal favorite is using it on Bokoblins riding horses. Just try it, trust me.
Still your tounge cucco lover. Like I said, a real needs no gimmicky tricks to take down a lion centaur who breaths fire.

I finally broke down and bought a used Wii-U so I could play this damn game. Luckily, I bought it at gamestop and the employee said that with my 1 year protection plan I can easily return it for cash and get the switch when they come back in stock. :)

I was really fucking disappointed at the lack of AAA Wii-U games though. I was expecting a Luigi's Mansion and Mario Galaxy Sequel but the only thing that sparks my interest is the latest Star Fox and Mario Kart.

For this game, I even bought the official game guide, although that's something I only do for zelda games. I hope it's at least as good as Wind Waker, my favorite 3D zelda and 3rd favorite overall after the original and link to the past.

*waiting for this shit to download. It says 2 hours for 8GB on a 50Mbs connection.*

Traded some Heart Containers to max out 3 Stamina bars and feeling pretty beastly even though it dropped me down to 15 Hearts. Like Pwent said, with the Climbing Gear you can pretty much jump up any surface.

I feel like my only nemsis in this game now is the rain.

Traded some Heart Containers to max out 3 Stamina bars and feeling pretty beastly even though it dropped me down to 15 Hearts. Like Pwent said, with the Climbing Gear you can pretty much jump up any surface.

I feel like my only nemsis in this game now is the rain.

Fuck the rain, I have wishes for this game. Like things I wish I could change but my only COMPLAINT is the fucking rain system

It's annoying as hell when I'm halfway up a mountain and it starts raining so I just set my controller down and do something else until it stops

The trailer got me really excited thinking that Zelda was gonna be in the game more. I didn't know that she only existed in optional cutscenes and the beginning/end of the game

I'm not complaining about the game, I loved BOTW and did everything except get all the korok seeds, I had an absolute blast exploring the world and finding shit like mounting deers/bull, exploding forests for wood and accidentally stumbling to the Tarrey Town quest and building a city from scratch. Loved how interactive everything is... but I would love a Zelda game that includes more Zelda, like if she were a quest companion or quest giver in the main questline. I feel like she's such a huge part of a story she's never in

Fuck me. It took me a little over 2 hours to download 9GB when it usually takes about 30min and now it's telling me it will take another hour to install the game. I still haven't downloaded and installed the patch which I fear might be 4GB since I read that the final game is 13GB.

13GB is a fucking piece of cake on Steam. We're talking 45min to an hour max. It might end up taking 5 hours with this Wii-U!!!

The trailer got me really excited thinking that Zelda was gonna be in the game more. I didn't know that she only existed in optional cutscenes and the beginning/end of the game

I'm not complaining about the game, I loved BOTW and did everything except get all the korok seeds, I had an absolute blast exploring the world and finding shit like mounting deers/bull, exploding forests for wood and accidentally stumbling to the Tarrey Town quest and building a city from scratch. Loved how interactive everything is... but I would love a Zelda game that includes more Zelda, like if she were a quest companion or quest giver in the main questline. I feel like she's such a huge part of a story she's never in

That's one of my issues you could say about her handling. The other is that they really haven't made her as action oriented since OoT, Wind Waker, and Spirit Tracks. Action Girl Zelda is best Zelda.

Fuck me. It took me a little over 2 hours to download 9GB when it usually takes about 30min and now it's telling me it will take another hour to install the game. I still haven't downloaded and installed the patch which I fear might be 4GB since I read that the final game is 13GB.

13GB is a fucking piece of cake on Steam. We're talking 45min to an hour max. It might end up taking 5 hours with this Wii-U!!!

Ouch man that sucks. Not sure why since downloads for me always ran well.

Last edited:
To sum it up, I was presented yet another loading screen launching the game. It is applying the update.

CONCLUSION: 50Mbs FIOS | 13GB game | 2.5 hours download time | 1 hour installation time | 20 min patch apply time | = 3.7 HOURS TOTAL

Not impressed Wii-U, not impressed! And I thought Sony was fucking awful at this. On Steam, this would have taken an hour. On Xbox 360, 1hr 30min. PS4, probably 2 hours. Microsoft for some reason, is the only console maker that understands how to download games into their installed format. lol

Last edited:
Finally playing. The game is super open world and awesome. The Pro controller is weirding me out though with the insanely spaced apart buttons. Would be great is there was a standard for the face buttons. Everything else can be different but after the Microsoft perfected them on the 360 controller, there is no reason to deviate unless you are going to add more buttons.

Finally took out all of the Divine Beasts, and the one in Gerudo Desert was the coolest battle to gain entry and the most fun interior puzzle. Thunderblight Ganon was also by far the most challenging battle due to his crazy speed. They were all fairly easy, but I'm glad I ended up doing this one last when I had some beastly bows and weapons. Had I done that one first it would have been pretty tough.

Currently I have full Stamina and 16 Hearts and ready to take on Ganon, but I want to roam around for a bit to get Terry Town built up and some more Shrines. Going on spring break this week with the kids and bringing the Switch, so will have some extra game time this week in the mornings. Figure I'll fart around until the last day to beat Ganon so when next weekend rolls around I'll get going into Persona 5. I have Mass Effect on hot standby and it's doubtful I'll get around to it any time soon.

Finally took out all of the Divine Beasts, and the one in Gerudo Desert was the coolest battle to gain entry and the most fun interior puzzle. Thunderblight Ganon was also by far the most challenging battle due to his crazy speed. They were all fairly easy, but I'm glad I ended up doing this one last when I had some beastly bows and weapons. Had I done that one first it would have been pretty tough.

Currently I have full Stamina and 16 Hearts and ready to take on Ganon, but I want to roam around for a bit to get Terry Town built up and some more Shrines. Going on spring break this week with the kids and bringing the Switch, so will have some extra game time this week in the mornings. Figure I'll fart around until the last day to beat Ganon so when next weekend rolls around I'll get going into Persona 5. I have Mass Effect on hot standby and it's doubtful I'll get around to it any time soon.

I'm pretty much done with everything except I'm missing just 3 more shrines which are gonna be damn near impossible to find.

I'm pretty much done with everything except I'm missing just 3 more shrines which are gonna be damn near impossible to find.

I'm sitting at about 75 shrines or so. I ended up printing out a shrine map and marking them off so I don't waste a bunch of time looking for something that's not there.

there are several mysteries I am trying to figure out. there is one that's bewildering me right now. I've ran into twice only (saving before doesn't allow you encounter it) and its bugging me a bit. actually its bugging a lot... grrr....

Back