Tai Tuivasa was only paid $20K for his headliner in Adelaide

First off, if the UFC let him out of his contract, which wouldn't happen unless he losses another several fights in a row, I guarantee you that he'd get more than 20/20 on the open market right now.

Secondly, the fact that there's a promotion using monopoly power to suppress pay doesn't mean that these guys are being fairly compensated.
Third there is zero proof he got paid 20k. He has never had a purse released by a AC because he has only fought in Australia and Chicago, neither of which release purses.

He won enough to headline a card. Pay in combat sports is about drawing power not who's the best in the world. Claiming that he deserves the same pay that he was getting on the prelims when he's main eventing against a former champ is madness.

You had boxers Amir Khan and Audley Harrison sign seven figure TV contracts in the UK before they even turned pro based on the profile from competing in the Olympics.
And who is Tuivasa? Is he a draw? has he been in the Olympics had anyone ever heard of him before entering the UFC?

Look I'm not arguing that these guys should be getting paid more but just because you headlined a card doesn't mean much nowadays. Headlining a PPV in a well known venue is much more impressive.

And who is Tuivasa? Is he a draw? has he been in the Olympics had anyone ever heard of him before entering the UFC?

Look I'm not arguing that these guys should be getting paid more but just because you headlined a card doesn't much nowadays. Headlining a PPV in a well known venue is much more impressive.

Before he entered into the UFC was he worth more than 20/20? No.

However, he put on enough good performances, albeit against sub-par competition, for them to make him a headliner and for the local Aussie fans to be into it.

My point is that it's madness that these guys to get locked into these multi-fight contracts that only give the UFC the discretion to alter their pay.

First off, if the UFC let him out of his contract, which wouldn't happen unless he losses another several fights in a row, I guarantee you that he'd get more than 20/20 on the open market right now.

Secondly, the fact that there's a promotion using monopoly power to suppress pay doesn't mean that these guys are being fairly compensated.
In what possible sense of the word, is the UFC a monopoly? Bellator, Rizin, One FC, and PFL just off the top of my head. Oh and whatever crap shoot De La Hoya is running with its 5k contracts.

Before he entered into the UFC was he worth more than 20/20? No.

However, he put on enough good performances, albeit against sub-par competition, for them to make him a headliner and for the local Aussie fans to be into it.

My point is that it's madness that these guys to get locked into these multi-fight contracts that only give the UFC the discretion to alter their pay.
I'm sure he keeps winning and fights out his contract he can negotiate higher pay. He's exciting and in a thin division like heavyweight they need rising stars. He had a chance to prove it and with that his pay will increase. Give it time & well all see if he deserves that Anderson Silva money or Conor Mcgregor money.

Unless its official, I wouldn't believe it.

Thats crazy low. Yet we get fighters complaining about being paid 10x more than that and still leave because they arent paid enough - even though they couldnt headline a fight to save their life. Hopefully Tai gets more though next time around

international athletic commissions don’t release fighter pay info

Who does nobody on this website care about me and my low paying job?

https://thesportsdaily.com/2018/12/...salaries-incentive-pay-attendance-gate-fox11/

Notice the disclaimer at the top that says that since international commissions do not disclose fighter pay that these are only estimates.

That said... even if the "disclosed pay" was actually 20k... We all know there are other wayz to compensate fighters. It's actually very common. Bellator outlined the whole thing a couple years ago about how they had fighters being jealous of disclosed pay of other fighterz. the solution was to send them to another event & pay them 100k or whatever to show up & do interviews. Stuff like that happens all the time for them & the UFC as well.

Long story short.. there's more to the story than "disclosed pay." Especially disclosed pay that is based on nothing more than hypothesis.

Shut the fuck up Dana. The backroom bonuses was debunked years ago.

Do you honestly think they are getting substantially more?

He’s not that big of a star yet so it’s not that unreasonable.

Well he beat Arlovski who makes $275k to show and has gotten $1.5m paydays in the past.

I get it that Arlovski has a memorable and successful career behind him, but still....

Shut the fuck up Dana. The backroom bonuses was debunked years ago.

Do you honestly think they are getting substantially more?
did you think that Plat went to the Poland show to watch his buddy Cowboy... & while he was there he said, "wtf... lets do some interviews while I'm here too."

That's just one example among an endless many. There's lots of ways they hide pay. Nate got a 7 figure balloon payment upfront to sign his contract a decade ago... that way his disclosed pay would look normal to everyone. It actually backfired because it seemed too low to most & a lot of controversy was started over it.

Please post your resource that backroom bonuses were debunked. I'm very aware of the argument but have seen nothing to date that debunks it. In fact, the evidence to the contrary is hard to ignore.

@FrankieNYC do you happen to have the Bellator interview handy where they outlined the hidden pay system?

HW will continue to be dogshit if this is the best they can do to attract young fighters to make full time training commitments.

That’s less than minimum wage here

I see you're in Australia. I just did the conversion and your minimum wage of 18.93 would be 13.69 in US dollars. So 15 USD is a little more than minimum wage in Australia. He'd have made 27660.60 in Australian Dollars. That's well over 8 months pay at minimum wage.

Last edited:
Thats crazy low. Yet we get fighters complaining about being paid 10x more than that and still leave because they arent paid enough - even though they couldnt headline a fight to save their life. Hopefully Tai gets more though next time around
Chan sung jung was paid $23k to show and win for his fight against yair. It was either $23k or $25k. Still low ass fuck. But that was just the deal that he signed way back then. Yair was his last fight on his contract. I’m pretty damn sure Dana white will sign him again and pay him even more this time. It’s crazy how they paid sage around $78k to win and to show up. Lol. Some crazy shit...

Honestly for the level he’s at
That’s good money

The level he is at seems to headlining a show for the premier MMA organisation in the world...seems like thats a high level? It used to be anyway.
If the show is sold on your name you area headliner and should be paid as one, 20 and 20 is just awful

I wish MMA would go back to the days when you had to fight a bunch of guys in one night just to win 50K, and the losers got a few bucks and a bag of steroids. We need more fighters that want to stand and bang, and less of these "wannabe" athletes that complain about everything.

I sure wish I could just show up to work for 7 minutes and 30 seconds and get 20k.

In saying that, I like Tuivasa, he comes to fight, and lets go. Also happy to see JDS beat him as JDS is one of my favorites always and forever.
Yes because thats all a fight is.

Showing up fight day.

did you think that Plat went to the Poland show to watch his buddy Cowboy... & while he was there he said, "wtf... lets do some interviews while I'm here too."

That's just one example among an endless many. There's lots of ways they hide pay. Nate got a 7 figure balloon payment upfront to sign his contract a decade ago... that way his disclosed pay would look normal to everyone. It actually backfired because it seemed too low to most & a lot of controversy was started over it.

Please post your resource that backroom bonuses were debunked. I'm very aware of the argument but have seen nothing to date that debunks it. In fact, the evidence to the contrary is hard to ignore.

@FrankieNYC do you happen to have the Bellator interview handy where they outlined the hidden pay system?

Its no longer active
http://radioinfluence.com/MMAInsiders/Epsiode5.mp3

About 54 minutes in a former Bellator exec explains how AC reports are nothing to pay attention to as far as accuracy

but AC reports are obviously not a true representation
while the "backroom bonuses" are not as prevelant as they were under lorenzo, fighters still get paid in different ways.
I mean look at 2016. UFC paid $119m to fighters. Add up AC reports & see how off they are

now this does not mean that UFC couldn't pay more, they certainly can.
but going crazy over AC reports is silly.

I mean look how many Bellator fighters have a lower AC reported pay than UFC & they left UFC for more money lol

Back