How good is Joe Schilling's Striking Really?

MMAProfessional

Golden Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I just realized that the Rockhold fight in KC already happened and Rockhold knocks him out. I remember ever since he debuted he was hyped a lot as being an amazing striker but I've never been impressed. I get a lot of his fights he got taken down and subbed but even looking at his striking it was never something I was impressed with then against Rockhold gets KOd (I get we are talking about a 40 year old.) I'm shocked at how much notoriety he has in MMA/combat sports despite accomplishing nothing. I get his kickboxing accolades and all that but I'm not even talking about that, I'm talking about the popularity he got outside of that yet having no success.

I just realized that the Rockhold fight in KC already happened and Rockhold knocks him out. I remember ever since he debuted he was hyped a lot as being an amazing striker but I've never been impressed. I get a lot of his fights he got taken down and subbed but even looking at his striking it was never something I was impressed with then against Rockhold gets KOd (I get we are talking about a 40 year old.) I'm shocked at how much notoriety he has in MMA/combat sports despite accomplishing nothing. I get his kickboxing accolades and all that but I'm not even talking about that, I'm talking about the popularity he got outside of that yet having no success.

His striking never translated well to MMA, so your feelings on the matter are correct sir.
Never liked him myself so I might be biased but I think you're right so fuck it lol.

The same things we're always said about Duane Ludwig too, never saw it in action thou.

Good striking in other striking arts like Boxing, Kickboxing, Muay Thai ect doesn’t always translate to good MMA striking.

And MMA striking doesn’t always translate to good striking in said striking arts.

He was very inconsistent and he didn't seem to take his career super seriously as he kept smoking cigs lol ,so yeah, I get why you're not that impressed.

Also, I think some hype came naturally from the exposure he got via the JRE.

It's also why I really liked the match up with Luke, because Luke himself wasn't preforming all that well in the later part of his career, either.

Last edited:
I was so disappointed when he knocked out Manhoef. I think Luke was a bit bigger than him, their fight was pretty close up until the knock out.

Also, I think some hype came naturally from the exposure he got via the JRE.
Yeah, that must have had a lot to do with it actually. I think him being close friends with Cowboy also played a part back in the days.

Always found the guy to be a complete douche and way overrated as a striker, not that I have gone out of my way to watch his fights or anything.

Obviously Joe Schilling was an elite, world class kickboxer. Was he without flaws? No, he was particularly flawed for how good he was. Was he the most consistent? No, no he wasn't. That said, Schilling beat Simon Marcus and Artem Levin...two of the best ever in that weight class. Levin, for what it's worth, styled on Alex Pereira when they fought. His win over Karapet Karapetyan was great too.

The guy had a mediocre chin and was very offense oriented, to a irresponsible level. Buy the guy wasn't some low level kickboxer. He won Glory tournaments and beat great champions.

His striking is VERY good. It's just that his chin is mediocre and relentless offense is his defense. So yeah, you're gonna take some KOs with that combo.

His striking is VERY good. It's just that his chin is mediocre and relentless offense is his defense. So yeah, you're gonna take some KOs with that combo.
Saying his chin is mediocre is being very kind.

Back