Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v5: Stop Thinking of Your Router as a Peripheral

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry I wasn't exactly clear.

Like a dummy I bought a microATX case and motherboard before realizing how massive the card would be and the fans were so close to the bottom of the board (and the case for that matter!) that one of the case's led pin connector wires (that I was not using) moved into one of the fans and had been completely obstructing its turning for weeks. I was noticing it being surprisingly hot and when I finally looked into the case I noticed that one of the fans was not turning. I had inspected it right after assembling and both fans were turning fine, so this probably occurred within first few days after that.

I powered down, removed the pin connector wire and the fan starting turning (presumably fine now) along with its twin, but I was just wondering does it damage a case fan or heatsink fan in any way if it is physically stopped from moving while in operation? It seems to be turning fine now but is there any reason for me to expect that this has decreased the life of the fan? And also just out of curiosity, where could I find a single replacement fan for an RX 480 in the instance that it does show signs of failing?

I have always preferred MicroATX cases and boards for price and size on desktop but I see now that the mid to high end cards (even if in theory they could fit) are just to big these days for a MicroATX case and motherboard. High end cards used to fit a microATX just fine. Not any more.
If it's turning fine now, then you already have your answer. Fans do one thing. They spin to push air. As for the heatsink...does anything look melted? Any metal charring? Then it also is probably okay.

That fan really isn't worth shit, either, and it's replaceable. The thing you're worried about when your fans stop spinning is the GPU. It should be frying. Now that you've got the fan spinning again you can try benchmarking it to see how it performs. I'd strongly suggest monitoring your temps closely while you do this.

If it's turning fine now, then you already have your answer. Fans do one thing. They spin to push air. As for the heatsink...does anything look melted? Any metal charring? Then it also is probably okay.

That fan really isn't worth shit, either, and it's replaceable. The thing you're worried about when your fans stop spinning is the GPU. It should be frying. Now that you've got the fan spinning again you can try benchmarking it to see how it performs. I'd strongly suggest monitoring your temps closely while you do this.

I am a neurotic temperature checker and although I did notice the temps approaching 80 C over the last few weeks while only one fan was spinning (there are two fans and one was spinning fine), it never went above 80 C (in CPUID). I failed to mention that all the while this was going on I was actually monitoring temps very closely in CPUID and by manually touching the heat sink at times.

I have since installed MSI Afterburner hardware monitor and set temp curve such that now at full gaming load temps never go above 70 C, even in Witcher 3 on high settings. Temps idle in high 30s C lower 40s, depending on my room temp is. A bigger case with an extra fan or two would probably bring that down significantly.

I really do need to get this card into a mid-tower case and ATX motherboard. Looking inside this thing is enough to give someone an attack of claustrophobia. If I do that it will probably be the cheapest ASRock ATX I can find together with an NZXT S340.

I am a neurotic temperature checker and although I did notice the temps approaching 80 C over the last few weeks while only one fan was spinning (there are two fans and one was spinning fine), it never went above 80 C (in CPUID). I failed to mention that all the while this was going on I was actually monitoring temps very closely in CPUID and by manually touching the heat sink at times.

I have since installed MSI Afterburner hardware monitor and set temp curve such that now at full gaming load temps never go above 70 C, even in Witcher 3 on high settings. Temps idle in high 30s C lower 40s, depending on my room temp is. A bigger case with an extra fan or two would probably bring that down significantly.

I really do need to get this card into a mid-tower case and ATX motherboard. Looking inside this thing is enough to give someone an attack of claustrophobia. If I do that it will probably be the cheapest ASRock ATX I can find together with an NZXT S340.
Sounds like you scraped out without paying a toll. Those are endurable temps.

Pour some thermal paste onto the ground as an offering to the PC Gods.

Let me know what you guys think of my first build. I had my first PC back in 1994, but just recently learned how to put one together after going over ten years without one (had a few laptops and mostly mobile last 5 years).

I have everything purchased except the processor and video card:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vMGTqk

I plan on doing a lot of Photoshop and some gaming.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/sys/6049402706.html

https://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/sys/5991429178.html

i was looking at these for HTPC idea's...i think the first one is a little expensive TBH

If you're just doing 1080 or blu ray playback you don't need anything powerful.
Find a $50 office pc with a Pentium newer than a Duo and you'll be fine. You may need to add a video card depending on the iGPU, but a gt710, $30 new, or just about anything after AMD bought ATI will work.
You can find i5-3470 machines on ebay for around $120. Microcenter has a rx460 g2b on sale for $60 AR that would pair nicely for a low end gaming system.

If you have some old parts to use, a new Pentium G4560 has the power, iGPU, and DRM/encoder to handle 4k 60hz. Just make sure you use dual channel ram to give the iGPU a boost.
Even without used parts, you can spend about the same as that steam machine posted and get a blu ray player. It will have a better upgrade path as well.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($59.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H110M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($37.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($55.39 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital AV-GP 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Case: DIYPC MA01-G MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($27.66 @ Jet)
Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($30.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG UH12NS40 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $286.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-22 19:51 EDT-0400

I'd spend the extra $35 and pick up a 120gb budget ssd when they go on sale.

I'm using a 35w low power Pentium, G630T, and 6450. It handles 1080 and blu ray playback just fine. I was using a x4 640 and 6670 before that, it worked fine but I wanted someone lower power.

edit: just noticed you were in the dallas area. Hit up microcenter for their mobo/cpu deals.

Last edited:
what happens if a pc build like than shits the bed? You can't exactly take it back to Best Buy or wherever you bought it

what happens if a pc build like than shits the bed? You can't exactly take it back to Best Buy or wherever you bought it
Then you diagnose the problem and send the part off for warranty.

@Snubnoze707 Everything looks good. I'd hold out on the gpu though, AMD is coming out with a new gen of video cards in that price range next month.

If you're just doing 1080 or blu ray playback you don't need anything powerful.
Find a $50 office pc with a Pentium newer than a Duo and you'll be fine. You may need to add a video card depending on the iGPU, but a gt710, $30 new, or just about anything after AMD bought ATI will work.
You can find i5-3470 machines on ebay for around $120. Microcenter has a rx460 g2b on sale for $60 AR that would pair nicely for a low end gaming system.

If you have some old parts to use, a new Pentium G4560 has the power, iGPU, and DRM/encoder to handle 4k 60hz. Just make sure you use dual channel ram to give the iGPU a boost.
Even without used parts, you can spend about the same as that steam machine posted and get a blu ray player. It will have a better upgrade path as well.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($59.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H110M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($37.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($55.39 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital AV-GP 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Case: DIYPC MA01-G MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($27.66 @ Jet)
Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($30.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG UH12NS40 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $286.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-22 19:51 EDT-0400

I'd spend the extra $35 and pick up a 120gb budget ssd when they go on sale.

I'm using a 35w low power Pentium, G630T, and 6450. It handles 1080 and blu ray playback just fine. I was using a x4 640 and 6670 before that, it worked fine but I wanted someone lower power.

edit: just noticed you were in the dallas area. Hit up microcenter for their mobo/cpu deals.

id need it for 4k. Next Tv is most likely gonna be a OLED

id need it for 4k. Next Tv is most likely gonna be a OLED
Then the G4560 is the sweet spot for just video playback imo. It'll handle every codec thrown at it, plus it does the encoding/decoding on a separate chip in the cpu instead of software.
Pentiums are hyper threaded now also. So you're getting a 4 core 3.5ghz processor for $60, it's about equal in performance to a i5-2500. You could step up to a i3-7100 for $110 but you're only getting about a 10% speed increase for almost double the money.
Netflix requires kaby lake for 4k playback also.

Last edited:
Then the G4560 is the sweet spot for just video playback imo. It'll handle every codec thrown at it, plus it does the encoding/decoding on a separate chip in the cpu instead of software.
Pentiums are hyper threaded now also. So you're getting a 4 core 3.5ghz processor for $60, it's about equal in performance to a i5-2500. You could step up to a i3-7100 for $110 but you're only getting about a 10% speed increase for almost double the money.

and this is ok with me

Then you diagnose the problem and send the part off for warranty.

@Snubnoze707 Everything looks good. I'd hold out on the gpu though, AMD is coming out with a new gen of video cards in that price range next month.
Good looking out. That is the last thing I plan on buying in a few months.

Gonna see if Ryzen 5 forces the 7600k to drop price too.

Good looking out. That is the last thing I plan on buying in a few months.

Gonna see if Ryzen 5 forces the 7600k to drop price too.

I've only had 3 parts fail in the past 10+ years. If you buy quality stuff, hardware failure isn't anywhere near as high as Dell or HP.

if i can find a pre build one i might be cool with that as well. i wouldnt mind buying one already made to go with my new media build.

Let me know what you guys think of my first build. I had my first PC back in 1994, but just recently learned how to put one together after going over ten years without one (had a few laptops and mostly mobile last 5 years).

I have everything purchased except the processor and video card:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vMGTqk

I plan on doing a lot of Photoshop and some gaming.

I like it. You defiantly don't need a 650W power supply.

I like it. You defiantly don't need a 650W power supply.
In hindsight probably not. I just wanted semi-modular and it was less than 10 bucks for 650 over 500. Went with bronze cuz the savings of gold on electricity is so minimal.

I got to start looking into a monitor and peripherals now. This shit adds up fast $$$

AMD anncounced they will release 500 series videocards
the RX 580 will be the next RX480

In before the lock

316ui5d.gif

In hindsight probably not. I just wanted semi-modular and it was less than 10 bucks for 650 over 500. Went with bronze cuz the savings of gold on electricity is so minimal.

I got to start looking into a monitor and peripherals now. This shit adds up fast $$$

It is a good price for that power supply. Just want to make sure you knew you did not need that high of wattage. Some people seem to think they need a higher wattage supply then they really do.

I'm ordering a custom pc.
Think i will go with a i7 6700 processor
They guy at the store recommended a 6700K,
so I could overclock it, but I rather not mess with that stuff.

What are the advantages of overclocking a processor or videocard ?

When looking for a keyboard, spend the extra cash and get a mechanical. They're definitely worth it. Most best buys will have a logitech mech on the shelf so you can at least try one to see the difference in feel.
The best place to watch for deals is reddits build a pc sales section https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back