Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v5: Stop Thinking of Your Router as a Peripheral | Page 149

Discussion in 'Video Game Forum' started by Madmick, Dec 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yari ななせまる

Yari
    Did you decide between the 7700k or still planning to wait til April for Ryzen 5 reviews?

2. GhostZ06 Gold Belt

GhostZ06
    i'm pretty set on the 7700k, but now that you bring that up your making wanna hold fast -_-

i havent had an intel build in a long long time i figured i'd fuck with them a little bit now

3. jefferz Gold Belt

jefferz
    [​IMG]

Madmick likes this.
  4. Madmick Stop Spoiling My TV Life (it's the one I like)

Madmick
    Wish that had been $10 less across the board, but considering their history of binning, with the R7-1700 vs. R7-1800X the latest example, I gotta believe the R5-1600@$219 & R5-1400X@$169 will be the better selling options. I won't fall for TDP discrepancies again.

Those price points are clear winners. Come to think of it, it's a bit bizarre, because this used to be normal, and we haven't seen it in so long it feels weird. There are actually attractive options that scale with only $25-$50 between them rather than these huge $75-100 jumps. Still, those larger chunks suss out if you tier and couple non-overclocker choices where they make sense:

Gamer CPU Price Points
    • Under $75
      • Pentium G4560
    • $75-$175
      • i3-7100
      • R5-1400X (vs. i3-7350K*)
    • $175-$250
      • i5-7500
      • R5-1600 vs. i5-7600K
    • $325-$400
      • i7-7700
      • R7-1700 vs. i7-6800K vs. i7-7700K
    • $1500+
      • i7-6950X
    Green = can overclock
    Red = can't overclock
    *Expect the i3-7350K to crash in price with the Ryzen 5 release. It's currently the most overpriced CPU on the market. It won't make sense above $169 with this release, so expect it to return to that $140-$150 space that the premier i3 has historically inhabited. At this price it will be a clearly inferior overall value to the 1400X, without any wasted cores from AMD beyond the gamers' desired four to save it, but some overclockers might prize the extreme single thread performance, and be able to justify it if it comes attached to a slightly lower price tag.
    -- Also bear in mind that Intel "K" series unlocked processors won't include a stock processor, so this is an additional cost of the processor not included with the CPU purchase itself.

EDIT CORRECTION: Got yelled at elsewhere on the web. I guess those Kaby Lake Pentiums weren't unlocked after all: just hyper-threaded.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  5. Ice That Jaw Black Belt

Ice That Jaw
    I see the 1080ti is out now finally. I bought 2 watercooled 980tis in anticipation of selling them and getting the 1080ti. Looks like I will still go through with that plan but I hope a single 1080ti smokes SLI 980tis because even at 1080p I'm not getting a perfect 60 on all games.

I play on a 120in projection screen so I demand hardcore AA and hilariously, no matter how powerful each new card is, putting 8x MSAA brings them to their knees on the most demanding games. Combine that with 4K DSR and it's curtains.

Madmick likes this.
  6. Madmick Stop Spoiling My TV Life (it's the one I like)

Madmick
    It won't smoke the 980 Ti's in SLI. We already know the answer to this because the 1080 Ti is virtually identical to the Titan X Pascal in performance. Everyone has it beating the Titan XP by a few percent in games. Same goes for Firestrike:
    https://www.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu

Techpowerup's "Performance Summary" figures for the 1080 Ti Founder's Edition here:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

This YouTube vid shows that the Titan XP and 2xSLI 980 Ti are basically identical (same for Tomb Raider):

7. Ice That Jaw Black Belt

Ice That Jaw
    Well, ok so that's a bit disappointing. I will gain something though. Having only one card will prevent several of my games from crashing in Windows 10. I've gone through at least 5 different drivers and all of them are susceptible to crashes from SLI. These are not startup crashes either. These are literally random crashes. One could occur 15 mins in, another 50 mins in. It usually affects very demanding games like GTA V and Tomb Raider but all in all it's happened in at least 20 games. I'm replaying Metro Last Light and thankfully it doesn't crash from SLI. I forgot how beautiful this game is maxed out.

I also think the extra memory might help when using 4K DSR and MSAA although I have yet to max out the 6GB the 980ti carries.

8. Madmick Stop Spoiling My TV Life (it's the one I like)

Madmick
    This may be obvious, but you're running everything in DX11, right?

9. Ice That Jaw Black Belt

Ice That Jaw
    Games that support DX 12, I'll try but those are far and few between. In fact, only Tomb Raider and Deus Ex support it of the games I own. The other are DX10 or DX9. So I use DX 11 mostly. You have to in order to get the AO and Tesselation effects

Madmick likes this.
  10. Cygnus A Purple Belt

Cygnus A

Well that is unfortunate. Wait for the 1180ti then I guess?

Madmick likes this.
  11. CodCommando Brown Belt

CodCommando
    You know by the time the right board partner releases the best 1080ti, the next Nvidia GPU will be around the corner. I really wished they didn't release so often but that's the direction everything goes in. Consoles have reached it almost, so I reckon PS5 will last 1.5 years at most before a better version arrives.

12. Madmick Stop Spoiling My TV Life (it's the one I like)

Madmick
    Not "PS5". I've thought about this. We should assign PC terminology to these releases

Playstation 4 (Operating System)
    PS4v1 = Playstation 4
    PS4v2 = Playstation 4 Pro

Xbox One (Operating System)
    XB1v1a = Xbox One
    XB1v1b = Xbox One S
    XB1v2 = Xbox One Scorpio

I figured XB1v1.1 & XB1v1.2 might be too confusing to the eye. Alternatively, you could dub these the XB1v1(1080p) & XB1v1(4k).

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  13. Satanical Eve Cro Cop's Left Leg

Satanical Eve
    So I been tracking places that are selling the EVGA version of the 1080 ti and so far Amazon, Newegg, Best Buy, Tiger Direct, and B&H Photo do not have any in stock, oh also forgot microcenter does not either. Does anyone have any sites that are reputable that is selling the card?

14. Crono139 Blue Belt

Crono139
    I see a number of listings on eBay but they are obviously overpriced.

https://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/nvidia/gtx1080ti/

15. deltapapha Purple Belt

deltapapha
    The card is model # -- RX 480 GAMING X 4G -- (MSI)

[​IMG]

After weeks of gaming on this new card I downloaded MSI Afterburner software and to visual test fan speed tool I looked to see if fans were turning and noticed one of the fans completely obstructed by an unused connector and not turning. (the fan opposite side of port.) I turned the system off, removed the connector and now the fan turns fine along with its twin. And it responds well to speed changes and appears to be spinning at same healthy rate as its twin.

My question is this: might this weeks long obstruction have decreased the life of the fan? And lets say it started to fail, could I order another one to replace it and if so where from? I understand about warranty voiding and all but am just curious about best place to get a replacement fan in the instance that I wanted to do it myself. I know how to disassemble and reassemble the unit (no prob with that), just wondering best and easiest way to get a single replacement fan for the RX 480 GAMING X 4G

I asked this question in Tom's hardware 12 hours ago with no reply so far. Would anyone with knowledge on this please respond.

16. jefferz Gold Belt

jefferz
    Video cards have the same heat safety features as a CPU. They'll either thermal throttle or shut down. The fan will be fine as well.
    If you're really that worried about it, dump it on ebay or craigslist and put the money towards a 580 when it comes out.
    Arctic makes aftermarket gpu cooling solutions, but for the price you're better off doing what I posted above.

17. deltapapha Purple Belt

deltapapha
    I hear you, but I am not worried about the GPU, I have been tracking temps during my gaming in DOOM 2016 and Witcher 3 over the last three weeks and even though they got pretty high all that side of things is fine. What I am specifically wondering about is what happens to a fan 'motor' if it is not allowed to turn at all. You said the fan would be fine. Considering the fan all by itself without regard to the rest of the card, what is actually going on inside the fan's electrical powering mechanism if it is obstructed. Also let's say I physically stopped a PC case fan from turning with my finger for two minutes, is it undergoing any kind of damage?

18. Videer Brown Belt

Videer
    My case fans are just fine even after I torment them once a week with a vacuum which makes them stop and spin the wrong way.

19. TSO Silver Belt

TSO
    I run a pair of that exact card and neither of them have problems with their fans starting or are obstructed by a connector. You might want to return the card for a new one buddy.

20. deltapapha Purple Belt

deltapapha
    Sorry I wasn't exactly clear.

Like a dummy I bought a microATX case and motherboard before realizing how massive the card would be and the fans were so close to the bottom of the board (and the case for that matter!) that one of the case's led pin connector wires (that I was not using) moved into one of the fans and had been completely obstructing its turning for weeks. I was noticing it being surprisingly hot and when I finally looked into the case I noticed that one of the fans was not turning. I had inspected it right after assembling and both fans were turning fine, so this probably occurred within first few days after that.

I powered down, removed the pin connector wire and the fan starting turning (presumably fine now) along with its twin, but I was just wondering does it damage a case fan or heatsink fan in any way if it is physically stopped from moving while in operation? It seems to be turning fine now but is there any reason for me to expect that this has decreased the life of the fan? And also just out of curiosity, where could I find a single replacement fan for an RX 480 in the instance that it does show signs of failing?

I have always preferred MicroATX cases and boards for price and size on desktop but I see now that the mid to high end cards (even if in theory they could fit) are just to big these days for a MicroATX case and motherboard. High end cards used to fit a microATX just fine. Not any more.

TSO likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.