Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v5: Stop Thinking of Your Router as a Peripheral

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking about getting a new video card. I currently have the GTX 970 and the i-7 6700K. Monitor is a BenQ XL2430T.

Would be awesome if I could play all games at ultra settings and get 144 fps.

Considering the 1080ti, but maybe it would be better to wait until Vega comes out? Or the next gen NVIDIA cards? What do you guys think?

I'm thinking about getting a new video card. I currently have the GTX 970 and the i-7 6700K. Monitor is a BenQ XL2430T.

Considering the 1080ti, but maybe it would be better to wait until Vega comes out? Or the next gen NVIDIA cards? What do you guys think?
Really depends on your budget, if you can drop $700+ on a card get the 1080ti, if you want about 90% of that power for $500 wait for Vega(Vega numbers pulled straight out of my ass BTW)

1080 Ti Ultrawide Benchmarks
*Edit* My mistake, I thought that was a 1440p monitor, then it dawned on me that it's a 24", and I couldn't remember if BenQ even makes a 24" 1440p monitor. Okay, let me dig up the Techpowerup review of a 1080 Ti where you can see a suite of gaming benchmarks on an i7-7700K overclocked to 4.8GHz with 16GB of DDR4-3000 RAM (the game drive is an SSD):
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1080_Ti/5.html

These aren't all of them:
FPS

bf1_1920_1080.png

codiw_1920_1080.png

deusex_1920_1080.png

doom_1920_1080.png

fallout4_1920_1080.png

farcryprimal_1920_1080.png

hitman_1920_1080.png

Popular Games from other Genres

gtav_1920_1080.png

witcher3_1920_1080.png

arkhamknight_1920_1080.png

civ6_1920_1080.png

dishonored2_1920_1080.png

acsyndicate_1920_1080.png
Pretty sure Deus Ex: Human Revolution is the lowest that is being bottlenecked by the GPU. The framerates you're seeing that are lower than that (ex. Civilization VI) are probably related to the CPU.

So, for 1080p, yeah, pretty much anything right now can fly over 100fps if everything else about your setup is that awesome. Also note that this is the Founder's Edition, so the GPU is running at stock. The pre-overclocked versions you're likely to buy will see a bit better performance. Techpowerup already tested the Asus Strix, for instance:

perfrel_1920_1080.png

Last edited:

www.eurogamer.net/amp/digitalfoundry-2017-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-review

1080p section shows you'll hit the mark in virtually every game. The article's reasoning for why it's not every game is due to cpu bottleneck.

It's time for me to put this thread to bed, and I've been wanting to build a proper build thread for a long, long time, and I've been putting it off for just as long. Never gonna get down to it if I leave it to myself. Please help me brainstorm links for a proper PC Intro/Build thread. I'm going to create an OP similar to Arkain2K where I can maintain and index and announce updates. After that, I will devote a post to each component. Here is my proposed order:

#1 ----------> OP: Thread Management
#2-#12 ----> The PC
#13-#15 --> Hardware Peripherals
#16-#19---> PC Gaming Software
#20 --------> Gaming PC Builders & PC Gaming News

1. OP: Thread Index w/Post Updates for Important Announcements
  2. PC Instructional & Building Utility Websites & Video Channels Master List (ex. PC Part Picker, UserBenchmark, 3DMark, JonnyGuru, PSU Review Database, LinusTechTips, Jay2Centz, Gamer Nexus, Ars Technica, Anandtech, Silent PC Review, Techpowerup, etc.)
  3. Hardware Sales Websites (ex. Reddit Build a PC Sales, Slickdeals.net, TechBargains, eBay)
  4. CPU
  5. CPU Cooler & High Static Pressure Replacement Fans
  6. Motherboard
  7. GPU & GPU Driver Controls (e.g. GeForce Experience, Catalyst Control Center, RadeonPro, etc.)
  8. RAM
  9. Storage
  10. PSU
  11. Case & Case Fans
  12. Operating System & API Basics (i.e. Windows 10 vs. Windows 7 vs. SteamOS/Linux; DirectX vs. Vulkan and Linux support issues)
  13. Hardware Accessories (ex. Keyboards, Mice, Dual-Joystick Controllers, Headsets, Adapters, Capture Cards, etc.)
  14. Recommended Monitors & Gaming TVs
  15. Virtual Reality (i.e. HTC Vive, Oculus Rift)
  16. Overclocking & Motherboard Firmware/Software (i.e. CPU-Z, HWMonitor, MSI Afterburner, Asus ROG firmware, etc.)
  17. Gaming Software Merchants & Services (ex. Steam, GOG, Amazon, Humble Bundle, Origin Access, Blizzard/Battlenet, Green Man Gaming, AtGames, itch.io, Gamersgate, Game Jolt, etc.)
  18. Gaming Utility Software/Streaming/Websites (ex. Game-Save Manager, Game Booster, FRAPs, Skype/Ventrilo/TeamSpeak/Mumble, Twitch, Open Broadcaster Software, Mod Organizer, Nexus Mod Manager, Raptr, etc.)
  19. Emulators and Emulation Depot Websites
  20. Extras
    1. Custom Builders & Boutique Builders (ex. iBuypower, CyberPowerPC, Alienware, Puget Systems, Falcon Northwest, Origin, Digital Storm, etc.)
    2. Important Annual Shows, Events, and Announcements in the PC Building & PC Gaming Worlds (e.x. CES, Computex, E3, Gamescom, Comic Con, Cebit, etc.)
    3. Miscellaneous PC Gaming Resources/Feeds/Communities
  21. ???
Am I forgetting anything or should that cover it exhaustively? I'm going to rely on the forum to compose chunks of this, I'm sure. I already plan to link external threads like @jefferz's Liquid Cooling and Everything Else PC threads. I'll make sure to credit everyone who throws in anything I copy and paste with a link to the original post (I want to keep the instructional posts nice and tidy at the top of the thread).

Last edited:
It's time for me to put this thread to bed, and I've been wanting to build a proper build thread for a long, long time, and I've been putting it off for just as long. Never gonna get down to it if I leave it to myself. Please help me brainstorm links for a proper PC Intro/Build thread. I'm going to create an OP similar to Arkain2K where I can maintain and index and announce updates. After that, I will devote a post to each component. Here is my proposed order:

#2-#12 ----> The PC

2. PC Instructional & Building Utility Websites & Video Channels Master List (ex. PC Part Picker, UserBenchmark, 3DMark, JonnyGuru, PSU Review Database, LinusTechTips, Jay2Centz, Gamer Nexus, Ars Technica, Anandtech, Silent PC Review, Techpowerup, etc.)
  3. Hardware Sales Websites (ex. Reddit Build a PC Sales, Slickdeals.net, TechBargains, eBay)
  4. CPU
  6. Motherboard
  7. GPU & GPU Driver Controls (e.g. GeForce Experience, Catalyst Control Center, RadeonPro, etc.)
  8. RAM
  9. Storage
  10. PSU
  11. Case & Case Fans
  12. Operating System & API Basics (i.e. Windows 10 vs. Windows 7 vs. SteamOS/Linux; DirectX vs. Vulkan and Linux support issues)
  13. Hardware Accessories (ex. Keyboards, Mice, Dual-Joystick Controllers, Headsets, Adapters, Capture Cards, etc.)
  16. Overclocking & Motherboard Firmware/Software (i.e. CPU-Z, HWMonitor, MSI Afterburner, Asus ROG firmware, etc.)
  17. Gaming Software Merchants & Services (ex. Steam, GOG, Amazon, Humble Bundle, Origin Access, Blizzard/Battlenet, Green Man Gaming, AtGames, itch.io, Gamersgate, Game Jolt, etc.)
  18. Gaming Utility Software/Streaming/Websites (ex. Game-Save Manager, Game Booster, FRAPs, Skype/Ventrilo/TeamSpeak/Mumble, Twitch, Open Broadcaster Software, Mod Organizer, Nexus Mod Manager, Raptr, etc.)
  20. Extras
    1. Custom Builders & Boutique Builders (ex. iBuypower, CyberPowerPC, Alienware, Puget Systems, Falcon Northwest, Origin, Digital Storm, etc.)
    2. Important Annual Shows, Events, and Announcements in the PC Building & PC Gaming Worlds (e.x. CES, Computex, E3, Gamescom, Comic Con, Cebit, etc.)
  21. ???
Am I forgetting anything or should that cover it exhaustively? I'm going to rely on the forum to compose chunks of this, I'm sure. I already plan to link external threads like @jefferz's Liquid Cooling and Everything Else PC threads. I'll make sure to credit everyone who throws in anything I copy and paste with a link to the original post (I want to keep the instructional posts nice and tidy at the top of the thread).
giphy.gif

0s2oODO.gif

200.webp

tenor.gif

#2-#12 ----> The PC

4. CPU
  6. Motherboard
  8. RAM
  9. Storage
  10. PSU
  11. Case & Case Fans
  20. Extras
  21. ???
That looks good to go man

l@nd0

I think it's a good idea to finally sticky this topic and give a thorough first page run-down for newcomers+keep each section updated for the diehards.

Gonna be a helluva lot of work though but if we get people to pitch in it won't be too terrible. I'm always keeping up with monitors and PSUs so I can lend a hand there with tips and links.

If anyone has a passion for a particular component or topic and wants to take a section and just generate the FAQ for that section I'll take on the job of editing it so that each post flows and has a uniform style. Otherwise, I guess I'll start to build each post in Docs tomorrow until I'm ready to throw together the new version of the thread.

Oh, in particular, for #2, right now, I'd love it if guys started throwing out their favorite YouTube Channels, or their go-to source for Tech or PC Gaming. If you feel like you've got some overlooked gems, then by all means, let's pool the intellectual resources.

If anyone has a passion for a particular component or topic and wants to take a section and just generate the FAQ for that section I'll take on the job of editing it so that each post flows and has a uniform style. Otherwise, I guess I'll start to build each post in Docs tomorrow until I'm ready to throw together the new version of the thread.

I would be willing to write the power supply section.

I would LOVE to have a thread like this stickied. You guys are a great resource on what to buy and what not to buy, and it's ALWAYS nice to kick around ideas here.

#2-#12 ----> The PC

4. CPU
  6. Motherboard
  8. RAM
  9. Storage
  10. PSU
  11. Case & Case Fans
  20. Extras
  21. ???
If you plan to include video tutorials on #18, I highly recommend this OBS studio series from NerdOrDie, which I used to get myself set up.

OK, here is my inexperience in monitors showing.

I bought a pretty high rated (for gaming) Samsung 48" 4k TV to game on, and I am having zero problems with it to date. I am gaming at 60hz, everything looks good, mouse lag only in a few games that I can fix via in game setting (or controller) usually.

This monitor looks SEXY as all hell. What would it provide over a 4k TV gaming at 60hz?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back