Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v5: Stop Thinking of Your Router as a Peripheral

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm ordering a custom pc.
Think i will go with a i7 6700 processor
They guy at the store recommended a 6700K,
so I could overclock it, but I rather not mess with that stuff.

What are the advantages of overclocking a processor or videocard ?
Overclocking allows better performance.
Here's a video with gaming benchmarks comparing a locked vs unlocked cpu

You can have the software auto overclock everything for you. If you decide to go with a K seriers processor, you need a Z series, z170 or z270, motherboard to take advantage of that overclocking

When looking for a keyboard, spend the extra cash and get a mechanical. They're definitely worth it. Most best buys will have a logitech mech on the shelf so you can at least try one to see the difference in feel.
The best place to watch for deals is reddits build a pc sales section https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/
Ya I've been reading mechanical is a must by. I'll keep my eyes on that site thanks.

Finally upgraded my GFX card today. Believe it or not, I was still using a EVGA GTX 570 from 2011. Swapped it out for a MSI Radeon RX 480.

And I'm still using the same Mobo, RAM, PSU, and CPU from 2011. Can't ask for much better value than that.

And I'm still using the same Mobo, RAM, PSU, and CPU from 2011. Can't ask for much better value than that.
tkmWUuL.gif

2500k? That was a beastly series of chips.
It's crazy how those old chips still hold up. A 2500k is getting long in the tooth now, but it's still very capable of 1080p. I upgraded from a 3570k to a 7600k and only seen a 10-15% increase.

It's crazy how those old chips still hold up. A 2500k is getting long in the tooth now, but it's still very capable of 1080p. I upgraded from a 3570k to a 7600k and only seen a 10-15% increase.
I'd still be running my 930 extreme i7 from 2008 if the mobo hadn't bricked.

Yep Intel i5 2500k.

It's nice to be running games on ultra again. The craziest thing about these new cards are how efficient they are, both with power and temperature. My 570 was a power hog and the fan ran constantly. This new card hovers around 60C and the fan doesn't even run half the time.

I'd still be running my 930 extreme i7 from 2008 if the mobo hadn't bricked.

I recently retired an Athlon X4 640. I'd still be using it as a htpc but I wanted something that used less power. I threw my 1070 in it out of curiosity and it was definitely bottle necking the card but it wasn't terrible.
Some of those chips hold their value pretty well also, which is surprising. 2500k's can still fetch $80. I just sold a 3570k for $110. I've been trying to find an 1151 i3 and they still run at least $45.

Kyle and Paul vs Luke and Linus for the next scrapyard wars! It was just announced it on the Wan Show.

That CPU with the old Hyper 212+ has got to be the best value component in PC gaming history (~$245 combined). Keep in mind that the 7600K in this video is also overclocked @4.7Ghz, so one has to wonder how well it would match up at its 3.8GHz stock:

I really need to buy some more storage space and I'm deciding on whether I should just buy another Samsung x50/60 Evo or buy something more future proof that yields 5-6.5x the speed of Sata drives. So, some questions: Can I even run a NVMe/PCI SSD on a z87 mobo/Haswell architecture? Have we reached a point where NVMe PCIe SSDs make financial sense? Has reliability surpassed traditional SSDs? Is 2500MB/s+ even noticeable in real-world uses? Are drives measured in Gb/s on the horizon?

i5 2500k- I remember that little guy being released. I'm still working with my Xeon E3-1230v3 and I can easily see it lasting me another 2-3 years. Main problem is my goddamn r9 270x(where you at rx vega???)

I recently retired an Athlon X4 640. I'd still be using it as a htpc but I wanted something that used less power. I threw my 1070 in it out of curiosity and it was definitely bottle necking the card but it wasn't terrible.
Some of those chips hold their value pretty well also, which is surprising. 2500k's can still fetch $80. I just sold a 3570k for $110. I've been trying to find an 1151 i3 and they still run at least $45.
I just pulled an Athlon 2 out of one of my old rigs(i melt em down for the gold) and didn't even remember building an Athlon pc back in 09, but here it is...lol

I really need to buy some more storage space and I'm deciding on whether I should just buy another Samsung x50/60 Evo or buy something more future proof that yields 5-6.5x the speed of Sata drives. So, some questions: Can I even run a NVMe/PCI SSD on a z87 mobo/Haswell architecture? Have we reached a point where NVMe PCIe SSDs make financial sense? Has reliability surpassed traditional SSDs? Is 2500MB/s+ even noticeable in real-world uses? Are drives measured in Gb/s on the horizon?

i5 2500k- I remember that little guy being released. I'm still working with my Xeon E3-1230v3 and I can easily see it lasting me another 2-3 years. Main problem is my goddamn r9 270x(where you at rx vega???)

Z87 doesn't support NVME. But, there are some boards to where you can do some bios hacking to get them to work. Even if you do get it to work, I don't think you can use it as your boot drive.
It's been awhile since I dug into it, so things might have changed.

NVME isn't anywhere near the jump in speeds from mechanicals to ssd's were. There is an improvement, but IMO it's not worth it. I'm using a 960 evo and if I decide to get more storage, I'd just get an m.2 version.
What size SSD are you looking for?

I'm thinking about getting the Corsair Strafe RGB Cherry MX Red keyboard. Anyone have one, or any thoughts?

Z87 doesn't support NVME. But, there are some boards to where you can do some bios hacking to get them to work. Even if you do get it to work, I don't think you can use it as your boot drive.
It's been awhile since I dug into it, so things might have changed.

NVME isn't anywhere near the jump in speeds from mechanicals to ssd's were. There is an improvement, but IMO it's not worth it. I'm using a 960 evo and if I decide to get more storage, I'd just get an m.2 version.
What size SSD are you looking for?
500GB

I'm thinking about getting the Corsair Strafe RGB Cherry MX Red keyboard. Anyone have one, or any thoughts?

Highly recommend. Cherry keys, palm rest, adjustable LED brightness, all the keys you need for media/sound, and amazing quality with the aluminum finish.

Still eagerly awaiting Zotac Amped Extreme 1080 Ti.....

Both Zotac 970 GTX Amped Extreme's I have are already sold. Probably ordering a nice cooler for my i7-4790k so I can make sure everything in my Thor case is cooled to perfection in case I need to OC the CPU to keep up with this beast.

4k on one card.... I cannot wait any longer....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back