Sherdog PC Build/Buy Thread, v5: Stop Thinking of Your Router as a Peripheral

Status
Not open for further replies.
The structure of the thread looks good. I don't have anything to add until the thread is up and going. A lot has been going on lately for me so haven't been plugged into the PC forum much. Anyone check out those new AMD Ryzen processors yet? Performance looks good and the price is awesome compared to a similar Intel.

It's time for me to put this thread to bed, and I've been wanting to build a proper build thread for a long, long time, and I've been putting it off for just as long. Never gonna get down to it if I leave it to myself. Please help me brainstorm links for a proper PC Intro/Build thread. I'm going to create an OP similar to Arkain2K where I can maintain and index and announce updates. After that, I will devote a post to each component. Here is my proposed order:

#1 ----------> OP: Thread Management
#2-#12 ----> The PC
#13-#15 --> Hardware Peripherals
#16-#19---> PC Gaming Software
#20 --------> Gaming PC Builders & PC Gaming News

1. OP: Thread Index w/Post Updates for Important Announcements
  2. PC Instructional & Building Utility Websites & Video Channels Master List (ex. PC Part Picker, UserBenchmark, 3DMark, JonnyGuru, PSU Review Database, LinusTechTips, Jay2Centz, Gamer Nexus, Ars Technica, Anandtech, Silent PC Review, Techpowerup, etc.)
  3. Hardware Sales Websites (ex. Reddit Build a PC Sales, Slickdeals.net, TechBargains, eBay)
  4. CPU
  5. CPU Cooler & High Static Pressure Replacement Fans
  6. Motherboard
  7. GPU & GPU Driver Controls (e.g. GeForce Experience, Catalyst Control Center, RadeonPro, etc.)
  8. RAM
  9. Storage
  10. PSU
  11. Case & Case Fans
  12. Operating System & API Basics (i.e. Windows 10 vs. Windows 7 vs. SteamOS/Linux; DirectX vs. Vulkan and Linux support issues)
  13. Hardware Accessories (ex. Keyboards, Mice, Dual-Joystick Controllers, Headsets, Adapters, Capture Cards, etc.)
  14. Recommended Monitors & Gaming TVs
  15. Virtual Reality (i.e. HTC Vive, Oculus Rift)
  16. Overclocking & Motherboard Firmware/Software (i.e. CPU-Z, HWMonitor, MSI Afterburner, Asus ROG firmware, etc.)
  17. Gaming Software Merchants & Services (ex. Steam, GOG, Amazon, Humble Bundle, Origin Access, Blizzard/Battlenet, Green Man Gaming, AtGames, itch.io, Gamersgate, Game Jolt, etc.)
  18. Gaming Utility Software/Streaming/Websites (ex. Game-Save Manager, Game Booster, FRAPs, Skype/Ventrilo/TeamSpeak/Mumble, Twitch, Open Broadcaster Software, Mod Organizer, Nexus Mod Manager, Raptr, etc.)
  19. Emulators and Emulation Depot Websites
  20. Extras
    1. Custom Builders & Boutique Builders (ex. iBuypower, CyberPowerPC, Alienware, Puget Systems, Falcon Northwest, Origin, Digital Storm, etc.)
    2. Important Annual Shows, Events, and Announcements in the PC Building & PC Gaming Worlds (e.x. CES, Computex, E3, Gamescom, Comic Con, Cebit, etc.)
    3. Miscellaneous PC Gaming Resources/Feeds/Communities
  21. ???
Am I forgetting anything or should that cover it exhaustively? I'm going to rely on the forum to compose chunks of this, I'm sure. I already plan to link external threads like @jefferz's Liquid Cooling and Everything Else PC threads. I'll make sure to credit everyone who throws in anything I copy and paste with a link to the original post (I want to keep the instructional posts nice and tidy at the top of the thread).

So it begins

I would have bought a total POS laptop if it wasn;t for @Madmick and some other savvy Sherdoggers.

I would have bought a total POS laptop if it wasn;t for @Madmick and some other savvy Sherdoggers.
I was going to build an 8350 system but everyone jumped me behind the outlet store and held me down until Ryzen came out. Thanks guys.

I pop in occasionally, half-way ready to start a new build, but the timing never works out. I am getting to a point where I'll want a new machine. Starting to chug along with newer games. 7850 has lasted me since 2013 and shit, the card was old then.

I was going to build an 8350 system but everyone jumped me behind the outlet store and held me down until Ryzen came out. Thanks guys.

im rolling a 8350 system, its about to be replaced for a 7700k

@Madmick If you want me to tackle something, let me know.
I was hoping to rely on your overclocking expertise.
Overclocking & CPU Coolers. Is that okay? More if you want. I'll use whatever section you want to take and compose. Follow your passion.

Is anyone a real whore for Hardware accessories like Mechanical Keyboards and Gaming Mice? I'm versed in specs, but relatively shallow on experience.
Anyone own the Oculus/Vive and want to take VR? I haven't even touched either, yet. Pure theory, here.

If anyone has a passion for any particular subject don't be afraid to make it yours.

Hardware Revolution has been my go to source for awhile with their different tiers and recommended builds. Good for noobs too because I got out of the PC gaming loop for awhile and quickly caught up on things.

Overclocking & CPU Coolers. Is that okay? More if you want. I'll use whatever section you want to take and compose. Follow your passion.

Is anyone a real whore for Hardware accessories like Mechanical Keyboards and Gaming Mice? I'm versed in specs, but relatively shallow on experience.
Anyone own the Oculus/Vive and want to take VR? I haven't even touched either, yet. Pure theory, here.

If anyone has a passion for any particular subject don't be afraid to make it yours.
Someone else might be better at the overclocking stuff. Last thing I went oc crazy on was ivy bridge and i haven't had the time to really get into my kaby build.

I don't know how it translates to Intel but I'm learning all kinds of stuff about OCing my ryzen and will be happy to help with anything I can.

I was thinking about OC'ing my i5-6600k. It seems like it won't be beneficial enough right now, maybe I'll wait until I get a truly 4k capable video card.

Overclocking allows better performance.
Here's a video with gaming benchmarks comparing a locked vs unlocked cpu

You can have the software auto overclock everything for you. If you decide to go with a K seriers processor, you need a Z series, z170 or z270, motherboard to take advantage of that overclocking

I was thinking about OC'ing my i5-6600k. It seems like it won't be beneficial enough right now, maybe I'll wait until I get a truly 4k capable video card.
Good choice on the cpu. Did you get your system yet? What did you get for a video card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back